Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not enough tried out for Thorns to post U15/U17 selections???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Highest level according to who? GDA is not even as good as OYSA in most regions. US Soccer saying it's the top tier doesn't make it the top tier. And Timbers running soccer into the ground in Oregon doesn't make lemmings any smarter either.
    Given that OYSA only operates in Oregon (it's what the O stands for), in which "regions" do you suppose this is true?

Comment

And yet players who started and played full 90 minute games are quitting to return to their OYSA teams. Yeah. It's that bad.
      From an outsider's perspective it is fascinating to watch what's going on with GDA. On the one hand, you've got the 99/00 team with some good commits and a player recently called up to the u17 national team (she's an 01 but playing on the older team so I guess they get to claim her). You've got the 01/02 team who successfully gathered many of the best non-ECNL players in the state, and yet some of those top players, who play 90 minute games, are quitting to return to their OYSA clubs. What my DD is hearing is that they are tired of the losing and unhappy with the lack of showcase opportunities - college coaches aren't showing up in droves to watch, which is what they were promised. Then you've got the 03 and 04 pools, where Thorns really had to scrape the bottom of the barrel just to get full squads. And top players on those teams are leaving or planning to leave.

I take two things away from this. I think Thorns should be far more concerned about the quality of those 03 and 04 squads. That is their future and for whatever reasons, they are not drawing the top non-ECNL players to those teams. That should be of great concern.

The second thing I take away is more an observation about the character of at least some of the 01/02 team's players. Last year they were perfectly content to have minimal showcase opportunities while demolishing all comers from their depleted OYSA teams. All we heard was sunshine and rainbows coming from GDA-land. This year, while paying allegedly the same fees (maybe less?), and getting more opportunities to play in front of college coaches (because surely zero coaches were showing up to their OYSA games, and even a few coaches is better than zero), they are unhappy and leaving or planning to leave. Which tells you that the real issue is the losing. They liked being top dogs and beating up on weaker opponents. Now that they are losing some, they are suddenly unhappy. Character matters, ladies. But hey, beating a Vantuckey team that has lost all it's best players to GDA or ECNL or the 02 team 6-0 feels good, right?

Comment

Of course. Thornz Asylum is a huge money grab. They take a pile of money from everyone for their Mickey Mouse tryouts. Then they "redistribute" funds from OYSA to fund the Asylum. And then they charge ridiculously high fees for what amounts to a rec-level experience.

A scam of the highest order. Backed by lemmings.
        Sad little Thorns hater!!

Comment

And yet players who started and played full 90 minute games are quitting to return to their OYSA teams. Yeah. It's that bad.
          And Thorns players never starting and playing hardly any minutes in the fall went back to ECNL. So what’s your point?

Comment

And Thorns players never starting and playing hardly any minutes in the fall went back to ECNL. So what’s your point?
            And ECNL benchwarmers joined Thorns academy. Bench warmers do that. What's YOUR point?

Comment

From an outsider's perspective it is fascinating to watch what's going on with GDA. On the one hand, you've got the 99/00 team with some good commits and a player recently called up to the u17 national team (she's an 01 but playing on the older team so I guess they get to claim her). You've got the 01/02 team who successfully gathered many of the best non-ECNL players in the state, and yet some of those top players, who play 90 minute games, are quitting to return to their OYSA clubs. What my DD is hearing is that they are tired of the losing and unhappy with the lack of showcase opportunities - college coaches aren't showing up in droves to watch, which is what they were promised. Then you've got the 03 and 04 pools, where Thorns really had to scrape the bottom of the barrel just to get full squads. And top players on those teams are leaving or planning to leave.

I take two things away from this. I think Thorns should be far more concerned about the quality of those 03 and 04 squads. That is their future and for whatever reasons, they are not drawing the top non-ECNL players to those teams. That should be of great concern.

The second thing I take away is more an observation about the character of at least some of the 01/02 team's players. Last year they were perfectly content to have minimal showcase opportunities while demolishing all comers from their depleted OYSA teams. All we heard was sunshine and rainbows coming from GDA-land. This year, while paying allegedly the same fees (maybe less?), and getting more opportunities to play in front of college coaches (because surely zero coaches were showing up to their OYSA games, and even a few coaches is better than zero), they are unhappy and leaving or planning to leave. Which tells you that the real issue is the losing. They liked being top dogs and beating up on weaker opponents. Now that they are losing some, they are suddenly unhappy. Character matters, ladies. But hey, beating a Vantuckey team that has lost all it's best players to GDA or ECNL or the 02 team 6-0 feels good, right?
              Losing coach midstream doesn't help . . . but this program will change one way or another. If it goes to Westside, will have a certain flavor, if they can't offload it their not sure what is going to happen.

Comment

Can’t blame them. Nobody likes to lose. Last year they played C level teams and got to pound the poor rec teams. That was fun. Now the lack of games, travel and the losing is not much fun.

Comment

And ECNL benchwarmers joined Thorns academy. Bench warmers do that. What's YOUR point?
                  The ones riding the bench at ECNL and then Thorns, are all back playing at ECNL now. Better to play $8k for four months of ECNL games where you get play time rather than $2k for a year of sitting on the bench. ECNL coaches are more forgiving with practices as well. You don’t show, you still get to play.

Comment

Can’t blame them. Nobody likes to lose. Last year they played C level teams and got to pound the poor rec teams. That was fun. Now the lack of games, travel and the losing is not much fun.
                    GDA has clearly struggled. Will they keep doors open next year?

Comment

So parents pay for most of the travel?
                      No. Thorns parents pay the first quarter million dollars of travel.

Comment

Thorns pay the remaining $700,000.

Comment

Makes perfect sense for bench warmers to leave GDA or ECNL looking for greener pastures. It is very interesting to hear that GDA starters are leaving. I doubt it is many and bet it is the players/parents that would rather be big shots in our small, mediocre Oregon pond than look like nothing too special vs truly top players from other states. The players like the U17 WNT '01 is likely happy and staying with GDA. GDA's mission is to find and develop the next national team players so they only really want the soccer committed superstars anyway. There were over 400 college coaches at the GDA tournament so you can't beat that as far as exposure. Doubt many college coaches are at the OYSA beat downs of watered down teams in a mediocre league. On the plus side, they could get to go to Hawaii and be get home town hero status. Nothing wrong with wanting those things over a serious soccer career. Nothing wrong with the ones that stay GDA either. So great that an Oregon '01 is on the U17 WNT. A crazy rare accomplishment indeed.

Comment

Makes perfect sense for bench warmers to leave GDA or ECNL looking for greener pastures. It is very interesting to hear that GDA starters are leaving. I doubt it is many and bet it is the players/parents that would rather be big shots in our small, mediocre Oregon pond than look like nothing too special vs truly top players from other states. The players like the U17 WNT '01 is likely happy and staying with GDA. GDA's mission is to find and develop the next national team players so they only really want the soccer committed superstars anyway. There were over 400 college coaches at the GDA tournament so you can't beat that as far as exposure. Doubt many college coaches are at the OYSA beat downs of watered down teams in a mediocre league. On the plus side, they could get to go to Hawaii and be get home town hero status. Nothing wrong with wanting those things over a serious soccer career. Nothing wrong with the ones that stay GDA either. So great that an Oregon '01 is on the U17 WNT. A crazy rare accomplishment indeed.
                            GK's are a dime a dozen out there. Lots get a look and then discarded quickly.

Comment

They don’t travel much so if they’re frugal that can cover most of it.

Comment

They don’t travel much so if they’re frugal that can cover most of it.
                                Just three show cases and six away trips.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X