Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Frank,

My daughter will be a freshman this fall. Is she too young to benefit from this? At this point, she has no idea where she wants to attend college.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Hi Frank,

My daughter will be a freshman this fall. Is she too young to benefit from this? At this point, she has no idea where she wants to attend college.
      That depends on her. I advocate for girls (over boys) to start a bit earlier as the process is younger for them. But the player has to be ready to go up against older kids emotionally, physically and skill level-wise. We do have 3 or 4 upcomming freshman already registered fi that helps.

-Frank

Comment

Hi Frank,

It can be helpful for her to see what these evens are like, what level of competition is out there etc. However, if that's the objective then make sure there aren't many schools there she's interested in. If she isn't ready, plays poorly etc it won't help her down the road. There are many evens like this in the area. this one is new so who knows how good it is. Pricing is on par to other ones, some of which have much longer coach lists.

I'm not Frank :)

Comment

It can be helpful for her to see what these evens are like, what level of competition is out there etc. However, if that's the objective then make sure there aren't many schools there she's interested in. If she isn't ready, plays poorly etc it won't help her down the road. There are many evens like this in the area. this one is new so who knows how good it is. Pricing is on par to other ones, some of which have much longer coach lists.

I'm not Frank :)
          I agree with most of what you added, but want to clarify that the current list (plus a few more coming) is based on a 40 person showcase. You would be hard pressed to find a 40 person event with 8-10 coaches...I would bet it would be impossible :-)

Comment

If this is a dumb question, please forgive me....besides the experience of attending and the feedback, what else does a player typically " get" from attending something like this? Let's say a coach was interested in my daughter, what would typically happen then?

Comment

If this is a dumb question, please forgive me....besides the experience of attending and the feedback, what else does a player typically " get" from attending something like this? Let's say a coach was interested in my daughter, what would typically happen then?
              Well that depends, the NCAA has strict rules for coaches contacting players. For DI they can't contact players until after sept 1 of their junior year. DII and DIII have different rules. Players can contact coaches via calls and emails at any point, but the coach is limited in their responses due to regulations. You should check the NCAA regulations to confirm actual rules.

Try this site
              http://www.ncsasports.org/how-do-you...can-division-1

Comment

Frank, I assume a coach there can pull a child aside, or even in the group setting, and say "You need to work on X to play at the next level; or to play for me; or have you thought about doing more of Y to help your game, etc."

Gentle instruction to gear the person toward how they may want to reach their goal?

Comment

Well that depends, the NCAA has strict rules for coaches contacting players. For DI they can't contact players until after sept 1 of their junior year. DII and DIII have different rules. Players can contact coaches via calls and emails at any point, but the coach is limited in their responses due to regulations. You should check the NCAA regulations to confirm actual rules.

Try this site
                  http://www.ncsasports.org/how-do-you...can-division-1
                  Easy. The coach contacts the player's club coach and says "I'll be in my office from x to y. Tell her to call me then." The policies have a million loopholes and the coaches know how to work them. Players getting recruited in 8th grade doesn't happen without someone knowing how to skirt the rules

Also, many of these things are attended by assistant coaches who only hold so much sway with their head coach/boss to take a look at a player. It's a way for them to make some extra cash, hang out with some coaching buddies. If your ID event dollars are limited to go to events on the campuses of schools you want to play for.

Comment

Frank, I assume a coach there can pull a child aside, or even in the group setting, and say "You need to work on X to play at the next level; or to play for me; or have you thought about doing more of Y to help your game, etc."

Gentle instruction to gear the person toward how they may want to reach their goal?
                    A well program should give player feedback. Sometimes it can be detailed and helpful, other times very cursory. A player should also try and self advocate and ask the coaches to get better feedback beyond just a one page form

Comment

Yes they can, and our player evaluation forms are also fairly detailed to help players understand what the coaches perceive as strengths and weaknesses. We will be posting a sample next week on the site.

Comment

So this seems like a (relatively) inexpensive way for my daughter(and I) to get a reality check...whether coaches think she has what it takes to play in college and what she needs to work on to get there. We're in!

Comment

So this seems like a (relatively) inexpensive way for my daughter(and I) to get a reality check...whether coaches think she has what it takes to play in college and what she needs to work on to get there. We're in!
                          Well put.

Man, sometimes I wish I could have this down a few age groups. The amount of people on the sidelines who are convinced their kid is getting a scholarship is staggering. I just chuckle and say "I hope WE all have a backup plan..." (and my kid is one of the 'better' ones, but I am not expecting anything)

Comment

I tell my daughter all the time, it's your grades that are going to get you money for school. If you get to play soccer too, it's a bonus!

Comment

I tell my daughter all the time, it's your grades that are going to get you money for school. If you get to play soccer too, it's a bonus!
                              That's a great way to look at it

Comment

That's a great way to look at it
                                Unless your kid is getting NT call ups it's the ONLY way to look at it. No one is going pro. For most players it ends when HS ends. A small percentage will play in college, even fewer will play all four years (drop outs, cuts etc means high churn rate). A smart kid with good grades and scores will have many options and probably more academic money than athletic. For 99.5% the prize is a good education.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X