Westside Timbers 💩

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My general assessment of Westside has been that at the younger ages, if you are big and fast they take you. They didn't take my son as he is average size so we tried out on the team that just won State Cup and he made it. Cony always made remarks about how he liked big kids so I guess that held at tryouts. Oh well, great club but I think Eastside and FC have their merits on the boys side. Crossfire is a crapshoot. It depends upon the age group and the coach. Their coaches run the gammut from good to awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      My general assessment of Westside has been that at the younger ages, if you are big and fast they take you. They didn't take my son as he is average size so we tried out on the team that just won State Cup and he made it. Cony always made remarks about how he liked big kids so I guess that held at tryouts. Oh well, great club but I think Eastside and FC have their merits on the boys side. Crossfire is a crapshoot. It depends upon the age group and the coach. Their coaches run the gammut from good to awful.
      Not really true at younger years (say, U12 and below)--there are lots of really small kids playing for Copa teams at the younger ages.

When you get to the teenage years, and boys are done growing, this makes a bit more sense. OTOH, Cony is no bootball coach--he likes players who are big, fast, AND talented.

Comment

Not really true at younger years (say, U12 and below)--there are lots of really small kids playing for Copa teams at the younger ages.

When you get to the teenage years, and boys are done growing, this makes a bit more sense. OTOH, Cony is no bootball coach--he likes players who are big, fast, AND talented.
        Cony judges by size. It's the first thing he looks for.

Comment

Cony isn't involved, generally, in the tryouts for the younger kids.

Comment

This is such a ridiculous argument. EVERY coach is going to look at the physical attributes of a player. It is the first thing anyone is going to notice. You know, kind of how you notice that someone has brown hair or blue eyes. Sort of hard to not notice a player's size. But, to say that this is the main determining criteria for Cony is an ignorant statement.

Lot's of people are jealous of Westside because they win a lot of games. It comes with the territory when you are the top Boys club in the state of Oregon.

Comment

He most definitely does not judge by size. I've known him since his first year in Oregon. Cony is all over the place at the tryouts and checks in with all the coaches. Those coaches pick their players. If they're not sure about someone, then they will ask him.

So many Westside players over the years, have been 'small' and many did well for themselves.

Best of luck to all your players and see them on the pitch.

Comment

So funny, all these comments about Cony from people who claim to have been around him and know him. We were involved with Westside from the girls side and size was the thing that he always focused on. And the boys side was even worse. He even spoke about it. For someone to say he isn't involved at the younger ages is laughable because he was at the U11 through U13 when we were there. When Cony ran some of my kids practices, they could be some of the best practices we ever had experienced, and they could also be some of the worst. I remember him trying to make one of his girls teams run a 4-2-2-2 formation at regionals and as expected, it was a complete disaster.

Comment

So funny, all these comments about Cony from people who claim to have been around him and know him. We were involved with Westside from the girls side and size was the thing that he always focused on. And the boys side was even worse. He even spoke about it. For someone to say he isn't involved at the younger ages is laughable because he was at the U11 through U13 when we were there. When Cony ran some of my kids practices, they could be some of the best practices we ever had experienced, and they could also be some of the worst. I remember him trying to make one of his girls teams run a 4-2-2-2 formation at regionals and as expected, it was a complete disaster.
                  These days, he pretty much leaves U11 and younger to Jaime Ramos. He has some involvement with the BU12 (06) academy team, but Jimmy Velasco remains the head coach of that. He is now, as noted in the 05 thread, the head coach of the BU13 (05) Academy team, and coaches several other older Copa teams as well.

Don't know what he has done in the past, but the current division of head-coaching duties makes a lot of sense. Jaime is great with younger kids; Cony is best with older ones.

Of course, the vast difference in styles between the two makes for an interesting transition as kids age up...

Comment

It's okay. I have known him since his first year and am extremely familiar with his coaching. Every team is different and what he teaches them varies, based on what he knows they can handle. If he coaches a team in the South American popular 4-2-2-2, then think about his Tahuichi training. Those players are amazing.

Comment

Poop in the thread name, poop on the field. What a poopy club.

Comment

Former WT player Erik Hutardo with a golazo-of-the-year candidate for the Whitecaps:

http://theprovince.com/sports/soccer...tunner-a-dream

Comment

Only a bit related to Westside, but THPRD has now opened a new park in Aloha called Mountain View Champions Park. Adjacent to Mountain View MS, the park has three lit turf fields. Some Westside teams are already practicing there; I imagine the other clubs in the THPRD boundaries (AUSC, THUSC, and the various rec clubs in THJSL) will also be training there. There don't appear to be any Fall League games there (yet), but expect it to get some action in the spring.

Comment

Only a bit related to Westside, but THPRD has now opened a new park in Aloha called Mountain View Champions Park. Adjacent to Mountain View MS, the park has three lit turf fields. Some Westside teams are already practicing there; I imagine the other clubs in the THPRD boundaries (AUSC, THUSC, and the various rec clubs in THJSL) will also be training there. There don't appear to be any Fall League games there (yet), but expect it to get some action in the spring.
                            Very nice for everyone.

Comment

So is Westside really:

-taking over Thorns Academy
                              -dropping out of the little DA?

The rumors you hear.

Comment

So is Westside really:

-taking over Thorns Academy
                                -dropping out of the little DA?

The rumors you hear.
                                I'm hearing rumblings of lots of change coming to DA both nationally AND locally.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X