Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

That was painful...and now I REALLY appreciate my club!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Every coach is different. Ours is a former college coach. He doesn't tell a talented young kid he can't play varsity because he's a freshman. He treats all kids the same no matter what class they're in. He's had a freshman starter the last 2 years. He also brings kids up from JV for a few games so they can see the speed of play. And before you hate, we have lots of club kids, almost the entire roster. We went deep last year, but came up a couple games short. We lost 5 senior starters, but have many kids this year with lots of HS and club experience coming into the line-up, plus some from JV.
    our entire HS roster is club and there are going to be issues with who doesn't start. and there is no room for freshman on varsity. in fact the JV squad does some pretty amazing things (which really doesn't say a lot I know as most jv squads are pretty bad so their competition is a joke most games).

Comment

My son's high school has over 50 club players and the HS coach makes them play kickball.

It will be another long season.

Comment

I was at my kid's game last year, and the other team's coach took out one of his players for throwing the ball backwards on a throw-in, screaming about how he never wants a throw-in to go backwards. Poor kid had nowhere to throw but back. Found out this coach is a social studies teacher. That team was winless. Shocking, huh?

Comment

My son is a HS freshman, playing his first varsity game in a preseason match over in Central Florida. After a few years of competitive club ball, this ended up being really painful to watch. Nothing but long balls, blind clearances and reckless collisions. Never making the simple pass to build towards a goal.

Makes me really see how well the clubs do in terms of teaching soccer the right way. That being said, I've never seen my son smile bigger than he did after the game. He had a lot of fun playing with his buddies in a lower pressure environment, so there are pros and cons. But boy was it ugly!
          My son graduated last year and LOVED playing for his HS and contrary to popular believe it did not hurt his chances at college and he did get recruited through club soccer to play in college. He loved HS for the same reason, less pressure and playing with is friends he has known since kindergarten. yes the quality was not as good and as spectators can be frustrating but all I cared about was if he had fun, that is all that mattered

Comment

The reason HS soccer sucks is because anyone that is any good is not playing. The Development Academy players are not allowed to play HS soccer so you are left with kids that could not get on a DA team. They may play club, but it is second tier club soccer if they don't play DA.

Not surprising the play stinks since there are no good players there.

Go watch some DA soccer if you want to see some true talent.

Comment

The reason HS soccer sucks is because anyone that is any good is not playing. The Development Academy players are not allowed to play HS soccer so you are left with kids that could not get on a DA team. They may play club, but it is second tier club soccer if they don't play DA.

And here's the obligatory DA Kool-aid drinker

Whatever, dude. Believe what you want, but I know, for a fact, that some kids don't want to be controlled like the DA does. There's many kids that do not have reasonable access to DA. So, there are many talented kids that are not in DA. Good for you too, because if my kid was there, your kid wouldn't be!

Comment

Grow up

Comment

"You are the Best of the Best" "The true elite" " The top 1%"

"You are the Development Academy." It's kind of like Top Gun. You wouldn't expect the local bush pilots to fly like Maverick and Iceman, so you shouldn't expect the local HS kids to play like DA Players.

There is a reason D1 colleges don't waste time on HS soccer players.

Lower your expectations for the HS players. They are doing the best they can.

Just cheer when the kick it far and smile happy.

Comment

What a general statement. When my son played club ( and he is playing college now) he and 2 other kids were offered spots on Academy but they chose to play on their current club team you D-bag and he loved playing HS too. Also there are not DA clubs all over the entire state of Florida. There are good players everywhere that do not have a DA club near by nor do they want to move and give up to play DA

Comment

Before you make the comment, how good is the freshman you're saying he shouldn't take on varsity?
                      The coach is looking for players to earn their spot (all 4 years), and it does mean playing at least one year at JV. A few years back, he had a junior that had just moved to the school who was 6'4" and a fantastic soccer player, but he did make him start out on JV. The player did (good sport that he was), and then moved up to varsity. Its just one of the rules to show respect, dedication, patience, and working hard to earn your place.

In addition, there are usually over a hundred + players trying out, for which at least 75% play club.

Comment

Good for you; stay at your, who's- who academy because we don't care, and why do you care if you are so superior?

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;1405723]The coach is looking for players to earn their spot (all 4 years), and it does mean playing at least one year at JV. A few years back, he had a junior that had just moved to the school who was 6'4" and a fantastic soccer player, but he did make him start out on JV. The player did (good sport that he was), and then moved up to varsity. Its just one of the rules to show respect, dedication, patience, and working hard to earn your place.

In addition, there are usually over a hundred + players trying out, for which at least 75% play club.[/
                          All of the JV and V at our school play club too. Do not agree with having 5 freshman make V even if the best. Something to be said for the humbling JV experience and also letting as many upper classman have the V experience.

Comment

No JV

What area of the state has JV? In Tampa there is no JV only varsity. Our high school had 80 kids try out but only took 22. There was certainly enough to field a JV team that got turned away.

Comment

Like the men's soccer program is so good in the US that they really need these DA players. Men's soccer in the US is a joke and you know it. Your academy teams look like high school teams to the rest of the world! The US men's coach will not even use US players unless they have a German passport. That should tell you something about your youth development academies in the US. High school soccer is not good soccer by any means, but the players get to represent their school and have fun while doing so.

Comment

What area of the state has JV? In Tampa there is no JV only varsity. Our high school had 80 kids try out but only took 22. There was certainly enough to field a JV team that got turned away.
                                Pinellas, Pasco, Polk....

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X