Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your Coach should spending more time doing this

After watching all the goals scored off set pieces in the World Cup it's plainly obvious that our youth coaches are not practicing these as much as they should.

In the EPL

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    After watching all the goals scored off set pieces in the World Cup it's plainly obvious that our youth coaches are not practicing these as much as they should.
    In the EPL the best teams have the best conversion rates....who woulda thunk?

http://eplindex.com/19280/importance...nalysis.html/2

Comment

For the Math Nerds

In the EPL the best teams have the best conversion rates....who woulda thunk?

http://eplindex.com/19280/importance...nalysis.html/2
      Yes the numbers don't lie.

http://benjaminpugsley.wordpress.com...remier-league/

Comment

So Coach what are we going to practice today?

"I think we are going to work on corners and service off free kicks."

http://www.dw.de/brazil-2014-becomin...cup/a-17759933

Comment

Actually it's a really good point. When we play really good teams it's difficult to get good scoring opportunities off of open play. You only get a few good looks. Set pieces are an opportunity for a good look where you can take your time to set it up.

Comment

Actually it's a really good point. When we play really good teams it's difficult to get good scoring opportunities off of open play. You only get a few good looks. Set pieces are an opportunity for a good look where you can take your time to set it up.
            I would prefer that my coach in this situation take the extra time trying to get better at getting a good look in open play than scripting a set piece. I am not saying never do it, but I think it should be used as something to walk through during a low-effort practice like before a tournament. I don't believe the majority of goals scored off of set pieces are a result of incredible plays but rather shotty defending which could be worked on outside of the guise of set-plays.

By the way, I don't think the offensive set plays have been good. How many corners hit the first defender or cleared everyone? Same with other direct plays. I haven't been watching every single minute (dang work) but I have actually been disappointed in the quality of these items. The best players in the world shouldn't sky a ball 10 yds over the bar or behind the goal on a CK (Rooney).

Comment

Do you always argue against facts?

I would prefer that my coach in this situation take the extra time trying to get better at getting a good look in open play than scripting a set piece. I am not saying never do it, but I think it should be used as something to walk through during a low-effort practice like before a tournament. I don't believe the majority of goals scored off of set pieces are a result of incredible plays but rather shotty defending which could be worked on outside of the guise of set-plays.

By the way, I don't think the offensive set plays have been good. How many corners hit the first defender or cleared everyone? Same with other direct plays. I haven't been watching every single minute (dang work) but I have actually been disappointed in the quality of these items. The best players in the world shouldn't sky a ball 10 yds over the bar or behind the goal on a CK (Rooney).
              Well since you didn't bother to read any of the links I will politely ask that you do so and get back to us!

Comment

At what age is it appropriate to spend significant time on set plays?

Comment

When you have someone who can serve into the box

At what age is it appropriate to spend significant time on set plays?
                  As soon as you have a player who can serve the ball in the air into the box.

Comment

Faulty logic. Work on the all around technical ability of the player. Effective execution of set pieces will follow naturally, with some moderate prescribed set pieces established by the coach. Youth coaches already don't invest in adequate technical development. The last thing they need to be doing is spending half a practice on corner kicks. You have to PUTT a golf ball in the hole to get an eagle. That doesn't mean you should work on putting all day at the expense of the rest of your golf game.

Comment

Must Refrain From name calling,,,must refrain from

Faulty logic. Work on the all around technical ability of the player. Effective execution of set pieces will follow naturally, with some moderate prescribed set pieces established by the coach. Youth coaches already don't invest in adequate technical development. The last thing they need to be doing is spending half a practice on corner kicks. You have to PUTT a golf ball in the hole to get an eagle. That doesn't mean you should work on putting all day at the expense of the rest of your golf game.
                      As a former 2 handicap I will tell you that you are categorically WRONG. In relation to par putting is half the game so what single skill should you spend the most time practicing? What sets the pros apart from the "good" players? Putting that's what.

Further most amateur golfers spend too much time on the parts of the game that do not match their actual experience. For example you only hit the driver 14 times around yet what club do you see amateurs spending the most time hitting at the range? Similarly 90% of all amateurs do not hit the green with their approach shots meaning that they are chipping to 16 plus greens around yet how much time do you see them practicing chipping from different surfaces and to different pin settings?

The translation to soccer, which is PROVEN with the results of the studies attached, is that a huge chunk of scoring in modern soccer is off set pieces. Not practicing this at the youth level is a form coaching MALPRACTICE.

I never said spend half of practice everyday on set piece work but I would suggest that in a week of practice that set piece work be part of the regular routine. The amount would be age specific as older kids need more as they develop aerial skills.

Being oppositional to facts does not make you correct it only makes you look stubborn and leaves your team in the dust!.

Comment

Set Pieces are not critical till the basic have been developed.

Aerial played should be taught, reading an understanding the development of play, and all around technical development.

You have to put a lot of things into perspective to understand why so many goals are scored on set pieces in the world cup.

1) It's a tournament
                        2) It involves elimination
                        3) All the players are already talented and developed
                        4) Both sides are accomplished tacticians and are being very conservative defensively and respecting their opponent.
                        5) The teams that are scoring in free play are the teams that everybody is hailing as "The Best"
                        6) Most set pieces were created due to dangerous opportunities that the attacking team were creating.
                        7) The ratio of set piece goals to free play goals change drastically in tournament play.

OR soccer is behing in development overall, especially girls soccer. Coaches should teach set pieces, but it should not be a focal point till around u16. Just because world dominating international teams and the best soccer leagues in the world are based around set pieces it doesn't mean youth soccer in Oregon should.

Comment

Aerial played should be taught, reading an understanding the development of play, and all around technical development.

You have to put a lot of things into perspective to understand why so many goals are scored on set pieces in the world cup.

1) It's a tournament
                          4) Both sides are accomplished tacticians and are being very conservative defensively and respecting their opponent.
                          5) The teams that are scoring in free play are the teams that everybody is hailing as "The Best"
                          6) Most set pieces were created due to dangerous opportunities that the attacking team were creating.
                          7) The ratio of set piece goals to free play goals change drastically in tournament play.

OR soccer is behing in development overall, especially girls soccer. Coaches should teach set pieces, but it should not be a focal point till around u16. Just because world dominating international teams and the best soccer leagues in the world are based around set pieces it doesn't mean youth soccer in Oregon should.
                          Yes of COURSE you have to teach development but the articles also talk about the goals in the EPL and why the best teams are better/more efficient with their set pieces.

Argue all you want but when my team puts the ball in the net off a corner all the technical skill your team had to possess the ball won't matter much now will it.

In other words there are no goals awarded for style points!

Maybe we are behind in Orygun because our coaches don't "ask" us to keep up with how the game is being played?

Comment

You really should read the articles

1) It's a tournament

If you read the articles you would see that about half of what you posted is simply incorrect. wrong.

Comment

Yes of COURSE you have to teach development but the articles also talk about the goals in the EPL and why the best teams are better/more efficient with their set pieces.

Argue all you want but when my team puts the ball in the net off a corner all the technical skill your team had to possess the ball won't matter much now will it.

In other words there are no goals awarded for style points!

Maybe we are behind in Orygun because our coaches don't "ask" us to keep up with how the game is being played?
                              There is only so much time coaches have with players at practices. Set pieces take a lot of time. HS age groups is a good time to start. Younger should be focused on technical development and basic tactics.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X