Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Silence is Deafening...

Wow! Months of build up to last night's Thorns Academy tryouts and all we hear today is crickets. Might lead one to believe that it couldn't quite live up to expectations. Maybe a few disillusioned folks out there in TA lemming land today???

Really sucks when you finally learn the truth, doesn't it?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Wow! Months of build up to last night's Thorns Academy tryouts and all we hear today is crickets. Might lead one to believe that it couldn't quite live up to expectations. Maybe a few disillusioned folks out there in TA lemming land today???

Really sucks when you finally learn the truth, doesn't it?
    I think we've heard a lot more about the tryouts than what was posted about the ECNL tryouts. No one on here has even posted firm numbers. Only lots of arm waving and back tracking (first there were 30, then 25). Good thing its a small soccer world here and it's not too difficult to get the facts. FC - numbers were pathetic and continue to dwindle. CU - better numbers because of two teams, but quality is minimal. And few good players are moving to these teams. It's actually the mediocre players that are moving over from other clubs. But you are too timid to actually admit these are the facts.

Comment

I think we've heard a lot more about the tryouts than what was posted about the ECNL tryouts. No one on here has even posted firm numbers. Only lots of arm waving and back tracking (first there were 30, then 25). Good thing its a small soccer world here and it's not too difficult to get the facts. FC - numbers were pathetic and continue to dwindle. CU - better numbers because of two teams, but quality is minimal. And few good players are moving to these teams. It's actually the mediocre players that are moving over from other clubs. But you are too timid to actually admit these are the facts.
      Still sounds like crickets to me...

Comment

Or maybe they are all watching the World Cup right now. 99% of Oregon soccer have no idea this strange little pool of strangeness exists.

Comment

Or maybe they are all watching the World Cup right now. 99% of Oregon soccer have no idea this strange little pool of strangeness exists.
          Yeah, must have been drinking all night to drown their sorrows over the failure that is the Thorns Academy and just now woke up to watch the World Cup...

Comment

Yeah, must have been drinking all night to drown their sorrows over the failure that is the ECNL and just now woke up to watch the World Cup...

That's not a very nice thing to say. ECNL is expensive but not a failure.

Comment

If the quality is so poor at the ECNL clubs, and it's a given that they have 90% of the top players, then I feel really bad for anybody that gets sucked in by the marketing hyperbole of the Thorns Academy...

Comment

If the quality is so poor at the ECNL clubs, and it's a given that they have 90% of the top players, then I feel really bad for anybody that gets sucked in by the marketing hyperbole of the Thorns Academy...
                Given eh? Try again. That statement is so offbase it's completely comical. The top team at this age group was certainly not an ECNL team and 90% of the talent was at that team. And there were a number of players trying out from those ECNL teams last night. And more tomorrow night. The girls all know who plays where, so it's no secret that they are over at the tryouts.

Comment

Going back the last 3 / 4 years, the above mentioned clubs have had teams finishing in the top ranks of the OPL with exceptions at individual age groups of course. They have had some success outside the state. But to say FC's numbers were 'pathetic' and CU has "minimal talent' see to be a bit disingenuous to say the least. I can't really defend these clubs as I don't have a DD at any of those involved. But your argument against them seems pretty sad, pathetic and weak. Try again.

Comment

Going back the last 3 / 4 years, the above mentioned clubs have had teams finishing in the top ranks of the OPL with exceptions at individual age groups of course. They have had some success outside the state. But to say FC's numbers were 'pathetic' and CU has "minimal talent' see to be a bit disingenuous to say the least. I can't really defend these clubs as I don't have a DD at any of those involved. But your argument against them seems pretty sad, pathetic and weak. Try again.
                    So as you state you don't have a dd at these teams but yet somehow know a lot about them? Laughable. Go back to things you know something about like baking cookies.

Comment

So as you state you don't have a dd at these teams but yet somehow know a lot about them? Laughable. Go back to things you know something about like baking cookies.
                      Again, no real argument.

If you must know standings of previous years are archived on the OPL website.

Name calling appears to be your strong suit, not doing a little bit of research and making reasonable points for your position. I get it, you feel threatened and don't want to see ECNL succeed. It's a new world, get use to it.

Comment

Can't understand the HATE

Again, no real argument.

If you must know standings of previous years are archived on the OPL website.

Name calling appears to be your strong suit, not doing a little bit of research and making reasonable points for your position. I get it, you feel threatened and don't want to see ECNL succeed. It's a new world, get use to it.
                        As an ECNL supporter I want the Academy to succeed as I do not see it as direct completion but an excellent opportunity in between premier club teams and the ECNL for kids who don't have access to big bucks.

What I'm having a hard time accepting is all the hate directed toward the ECNL as a program and the teams that Oregon will be sending this year specifically.

Can it be as simple as the TA vs. OPL hate? Is it that the TA thinks they are going to loose their best players to the ECNL clubs therefore they have to hate on the ECNL?

I know I'm in the minority when I say we have enough physical talent (athletes) to fill two ECNL teams. However I'm realistic when it comes to the economics and agree that having two successful ECNL programs will be difficult therefore allowing those ladies to have the option of the Academy seem only fair.

However that does not

Comment

Crickets. Apparently no real talent showed up at Thorns tryouts

Comment

Crickets. Apparently no real talent showed up at Thorns tryouts
                            You must lead a boring life…with this obsession with how many show up to what tryouts…Things will filter over time…Perhaps one or other of the programs will not deliver on all of their lofty promises…But we won't know until we give it time...

Comment

You must lead a boring life…with this obsession with how many show up to what tryouts…Things will filter over time…Perhaps one or other of the programs will not deliver on all of their lofty promises…But we won't know until we give it time...
                              Not interested in quantity. What was the quality level? Have to assume it wasn't anything to write home about...

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X