Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    That's what you said about the u16/17 team a couple months ago, and looky today. What's your point?
    That's all they've got. They continue to try to find things to pick at. So funny that a month ago they were saying the academy wouldn't happen. Now, four tryout sessions with 60-70 girls at each session and they have nothing to say. The funny thing is the academy team will be better than either of the ECNL teams. Maybe they should send the academy team to some of the ECNL events so that they can put some wins on their record.

Comment

I haven't seen anything that indicates that they plan on having separate 17 and 18 teams. I don't think they even plan on having a U18 team. They will have a U16/17 team in 2014/2015, and add a U14/15 team the following year.
      Fall Surf is discretionary - far moreso than summer.
      I agree and would not expect that every player will want to, or need to do Vegas, Boise, Tacoma, Colorado, and then Carlsbad/Mustang/Nomads or another CA tourney on top of it. However, if they do, they will be getting plenty of great competition. For most of the girls, those tourneys (even without CA) also will have coaches from any schools in which they are interested.
      Also, for better or worse (and I can see both sides), when these teams play at these tourneys they will typically get 4 games. At the ECNL showcases, they play three. When they travel for their league games, they will play two.
      As an aside, I have been team manager for teams that have done summer and Thanksgiving Surf, Nomads (same weekend as Carlsbad), Mustang, Vegas, and many others, and our costs were never $900/player. We were pretty budget conscious (e.g., 4 girls/room, BBQ's combined with buffets, carpool in some instances) and I don't know how the Timbers Academy will do it.
      An Academy supporter said they were told at tryouts there will be a U18 team next year otherwise what's the point of one and done? If not where will they play next year, back to their TA clubs?

U16 and up travel teams they don't barbeque or make sack lunches because few parents travel and asking the few who do to be galley slaves is not realistic.

Comment

An Academy supporter said they were told at tryouts there will be a U18 team next year otherwise what's the point of one and done? If not where will they play next year, back to their TA clubs?

U16 and up travel teams they don't barbeque or make sack lunches because few parents travel and asking the few who do to be galley slaves is not realistic.
        BBQ and sack lunches might be a great idea for the ECNL teams as a way to save money.

Comment

Where have the Timbers announced that they will add a U14/15 team next year? The only press release so far stated "The two-year goal will be to add a second Academy age group next year for players at the U14/15 age groups." A "goal" does not equal "done deal"...
          Boy, you got me. BFD. Really. They only have 10 mos or so to decide if they should add a U14/15 team for the 2015/2016 season. That is the "goal." If in the first year the Academy program works out for the older girls, they will add a team next year.

Comment

Galley slaves or not, that is what happens even for the older girls for those clubs that want to watch their dollars. Also, if you go to an ECNL showcase you will see that many of the teams are out supporting the older or younger club teams. They are eating at the fields. If the team is at a tourney, bringing lunch to the fields is very practical. At CA tourneys, we BBQ at least one or two nights.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            Working...
            X