Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Please tell me one thing that a manager does that a coach/club could not?
    It's not that coaches are unable to do the things I do as a team manager, it's that they'd probably rather be actually coaching than dealing with administrative trivialities. As far as what I do as a manager, it's fairly basic stuff. Keep the website updated with schedule changes, etc. (and a lot of times the coach will do this himself), remind (sometimes hound) parents to send in waivers, work some minor logistics for tournaments, etc. It's all stuff I'm happy to do because 1) I'm neurotically meticulous to begin with, 2) I always hated not knowing what was going on (as a manager, I try to keep everyone up to speed on everything I know, as soon as I know it, which is something previous managers didn't seem all that concerned with), and 3) I like having a slightly better line of communication with the coach to know what the hell he's thinking regarding the team in general (he was always good at telling me about my kid, but rarely good about sharing things about the team with the parents as a group).

Comment

With today's websites and communication tools there is simply no reason for a team manager. None. It is not a major responsibility for anyone to schedule some friendlies here and there and to input the schedule into a clubs site (or web calendar) if the club is not on a league scheduling site.
      agreed but there are some lazy ass coaches especially the ones from college (EK) who cannot do anything themselves. Men are managers too and perhaps are worse than women.

Comment

team managers are horrible. almost always an undeserving kid getting a boost. board members/donors even worse. any club that relies on donors or board to stay afloat should not be given an MLS or ECNL badge.

Comment

Team Manager = Captain of Helicopter Mom Fleet

Not so dumb....poster has a valid point. It does depend on how ruthless the club/coach is. I’ve seen the team manager’s kid get cut before and was surprised. What was refreshing was that the player DID get cut!!! Everyone knew on the team he wasn’t one of the stronger players. In fact this coach did it twice. It made me respect the coach/club even more. It must have been very hard for the coach to do that but his ultimate interest was the quality of the team, not maintaining friendships. Proof that club and coach don’t play politics.
          Yes very dumb....Yea Adding more politics/bureaucracy to the game is exactly what we need???

Comment

To all the anti-manager posters: Curious as to how you feel about your coach's administrative abilities?
            Ive seen great coaches who have zero computer, administrative or organizational skills. It has nothing to do with them being lazy, but they're not the people you want to task with timely communication or data entry. Many of the 2nd and 3rd teams of an age group have part time coaches that have other jobs. Again not the people you want to task with timely communication. Should the club hire someone to do this? Maybe, but that person would have to juggle dozens of teams depending on the size of the club. All you'd be doing is adding more overhead/costs to the club which will be passed on to you.
            Many team managers are great and require no change in the system. If you don't like your team manager speak up, or step up and do the job yourself.

Comment

To all the anti-manager posters: Curious as to how you feel about your coach's administrative abilities?
              Ive seen great coaches who have zero computer, administrative or organizational skills. It has nothing to do with them being lazy, but they're not the people you want to task with timely communication or data entry. Many of the 2nd and 3rd teams of an age group have part time coaches that have other jobs. Again not the people you want to task with timely communication. Should the club hire someone to do this? Maybe, but that person would have to juggle dozens of teams depending on the size of the club. All you'd be doing is adding more overhead/costs to the club which will be passed on to you.
              Many team managers are great and require no change in the system. If you don't like your team manager speak up, or step up and do the job yourself.
              signed, your kids team manager

Comment

"Most clubs/teams do still have team managers. I can understand why they need them as well. As long as the coach doesn’t feel pressure because of that parent relationship and has no problem cutting the player if not performing all is well. The problem becomes as OP so passionately described is when a coach realizes the player is underperforming but feels they can’t let the player go because of the relationship the manager/family has built with the club. Very tough position to be in."

Managers are completely unnecessary and not needed. In the end it can only cause problems or put the coach in a bad spot.

Please tell me one thing that a manager does that a coach/club could not?
                It comes down to time management and cost. It takes time to input schedules into a team app, it takes time to collect fees etc.... An employee (coach) would expect to get paid for their time. That cost would get passed on to you. I prefer to have a team manager handle these things, and have our coach focus on coaching.

Comment

Nope.

Comment

if our coach tried to manage the administrative stuff it would be a complete disaster...i'm happy to have someone else organize it...

Comment

I've done it. It's the most thankless volunteer job you'll ever have. Unless the club is cutting you a tuition discount for doing it, I'd recommend running in the opposite direction if ever approached.

Comment

I've done it. It's the most thankless volunteer job you'll ever have. Unless the club is cutting you a tuition discount for doing it, I'd recommend running in the opposite direction if ever approached.
                        Our coach can coach soccer but has reached his administrative limit just making sure we all know when practices are scheduled - and occasionally he screws that up.

Comment

Yes very dumb....Yea Adding more politics/bureaucracy to the game is exactly what we need???
                          You’re saying having a team manager takes away politics and bureaucracy?

Guess it depends on what club you play at.

Comment

I think the point is the “anti team managers”don’t want the job either. Their point is that it should be done by the coach or a non-interested party. Bet lots of parents wouldn’t mind absorbing the cost of an administrator......doesn’t bother me either way. I see both sides of this discussion.

Comment

and point 3 is probably what bothers people-

3) I like having a slightly better line of communication with the coach to know what the hell he's thinking regarding the team in general (he was always good at telling me about my kid, but rarely good about sharing things about the team with the parents as a group).

Comment

and point 3 is probably what bothers people-

3) I like having a slightly better line of communication with the coach to know what the hell he's thinking regarding the team in general (he was always good at telling me about my kid, but rarely good about sharing things about the team with the parents as a group).
                                Absolutely. In my term I never said anything outside of what was asked. My kid would be furious if she thought I was mowing the lawn in front of her.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X