Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you know about Scorpions Taunton?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Don't listen to this stupid person. Bayside has some good girls teams, owns their own brand new turf facility, good coaches, etc. I grew up in Fall River and we get a bad rap just like Providence. Some of the A-hole suburban Boston people are worse
    Bayside girls won't go on to D1 or D2, they don't have those connections at the higher level. After u14 the good players move on. Not totally Bayside's fault, but they have been boy focused on the Revs, they never got their foot in the door with the D1 colleges or many colleges beyond RI. They need to connect with UConn and get into the CT scene. They could also connect with colleges in MA. They have what it takes, now they need to start to connect with the big private schools BC etc. Time for them to develop and promote their girls beyond RI. lots of clubs are threatened by Bayside for a good reason.

Comment

One poster said not to go with Scorpions South but we don't live near Lancaster. Is there a big difference in coaching and so on?
      Don't get this mixed up. Scorpions ECNL practice out of Taunton and a few other locations. Scorpions South also plays out of Taunton. Same club, but one are their top teams, the other is an amalgamation of GPS teams and others that play in NEP as a separate region. Both are primarily out of Taunton. ECNL has ECNL and ECNL Regional, which is similar in level to the old NPL. Either is a good place to start if your kid is strong, obviously ECNL is the higher level.

NEFC out of Mendon also does a good job with their top teams, but it's a bit more of a drive to Mendon. Stars in Lancaster is good if you're willing to drive 2.5 hours a day round trip for practices. I would probably start with Scorpions and NEFC and see if she can hang in some practices, then work your way down the list from there. Club play, even at 11, will be faster paced and more skilled and may take an adjustment period for your player, especially with the higher level teams.

Comment

Bayside girls won't go on to D1 or D2, they don't have those connections at the higher level. After u14 the good players move on. Not totally Bayside's fault, but they have been boy focused on the Revs, they never got their foot in the door with the D1 colleges or many colleges beyond RI. They need to connect with UConn and get into the CT scene. They could also connect with colleges in MA. They have what it takes, now they need to start to connect with the big private schools BC etc. Time for them to develop and promote their girls beyond RI. lots of clubs are threatened by Bayside for a good reason.
        I think Bayside has 1 or 2 D1 commits recently. It will mostly be D3 on the girls side, if they play in college. Stars, Scorpions and NEFC have many more commits at the D1 level. Again, it's very early for an 11yo town player to be thinking D1 college, but there are signs, which is why I asked whether she is a baller and dominates the competition before moving to club.

Comment

We didn't think we could attend trainings during COVID with the whole stable groups at school figured the same with soccer?
          Pretty sure you can

Comment

We didn't think we could attend trainings during COVID with the whole stable groups at school figured the same with soccer?
            The stable groups thing was way earlier in the covid shutdown. That isn't really a thing now, so definitely reach out and see about attending a practice. Just keep in mind that many of the top teams are likely maxed out with rosters at this point. If your kid is good, they will find a team for her, but it won't be easy at this point in the season. The smart families looking to move clubs start attending practices in the Spring, before tryouts, in order to get their spot for the following year.

Comment

I agree with the sentiment. They have been getting some players into Providence College D1 and URI D1, but need a GA or ECNL badge to get attention beyond that. Or some of the girls can get exposure in ODP. It's a shame that the politics of soccer get in the way sometimes.

Comment

Honestly, the most important thing you can do at this stage is get her to the best coach you can find that will take her. Covid may be screwing things up but see if you can get her to different practices and do the best research you can until you find the right coach. In my view the club is secondary at this point. You have a year or two before you need to seriously think about getting yourself to an ECNL or GA club if that is her goal. Many times the second or third teams at those clubs don't get nearly the attention/coaching as the top team and you're better off developmentally at 11 years old to be somewhere else with a great coach. We jumped clubs at U13 and it's worked out well. I probably wouldn't wait much longer than that but I know some others have moved later. But it all depends on her goals. If she just wants to get better to play town and then HS a lot of clubs can do that.

Comment

Scorpions are great if your player is able to make the ECNL team and is up for the commitment and travel that entails (ECNL starts at U12 now). ECNL teams get the best coaching and the most attention by far. If that is not her level/interest though I would look elsewhere at one of the more local clubs - being on the top team at a smaller club is usually better than being on a lower-level team at a big club. Scorpions in particular are top-heavy...their ECNL teams are competitive at a high level but the second and below teams are generally quite weak.

Comment

Do not listen to this negative recruiting from a rival club. Bayside has several players each year move on to D1 and D2 programs. Also no "connections"? The President of the club is assistant head coach of Big East program and well respected in soccer community. One would think if he had a female player good enough for D1, his recommendation would hold as much if not more weight than that of a Scorpions or FC Stars ECNL coach. All that said below U15 focus on clubs with good coaches and where your daughter is comfortable and can develop on and off the field.

Comment

11yo is 4th grade ? i think by then you probably have a sense for where your daughter fits relative to her town team. If you are not in the top half (or even top quarter) of the top team in a reasonably sized town. . something like ECNL is just not a consideration and may never be.

that said. . it is easier to get on to an ECNL team at a younger age before Scorpions starts to draw the very best from around the state at say u15 and higher. i coached a consistent group of girls in strong soccer town travel starting in 3rd grade. . by 5th grade the top 4-5 girls were "set" and the top 3 now play ECNL. the rest of that team (which was amongst the best in BAYS) could never play at that level and i would never advise those parents to travel to taunton for soccer--lots of other good options closer to home.

my older daughter moved to scorpions ECNL at u13 and it has been bar none the best athletic experience of her life. we could not be happier--incredibly positive spirit about the club, while performance expectations are high, the culture is great. we did not like Stars feel for that reason (and geographically could have done both). we also like that the ECNL coaches are the owners and you deal directly with them which is quite different than most clubs.

but that is a very ECNL slanted view. if you are the top of the pyramid at any club you will always get the most focus, best coaching, etc. at u11 you want the best coach you can find and most consistent experience to develop your daughter. that could easily be at Bayside or Surf or another club vs. Scorpions. my daughters played town academy and had the same coach for 3rd through 6th grade who was very strong and it was a great experience and the consistency made all the difference.

i have a younger daughter who is not the player my older daughter is. .. maybe more of an ECNL-regional player than the top team. . we are very torn about whether it is worth the drive to Taunton for her and may ultimately decide a state NPL or EDP team like Surf is a better fit for less travel.

Comment

11yo is 4th grade ? i think by then you probably have a sense for where your daughter fits relative to her town team. If you are not in the top half (or even top quarter) of the top team in a reasonably sized town. . something like ECNL is just not a consideration and may never be.

that said. . it is easier to get on to an ECNL team at a younger age before Scorpions starts to draw the very best from around the state at say u15 and higher. i coached a consistent group of girls in strong soccer town travel starting in 3rd grade. . by 5th grade the top 4-5 girls were "set" and the top 3 now play ECNL. the rest of that team (which was amongst the best in BAYS) could never play at that level and i would never advise those parents to travel to taunton for soccer--lots of other good options closer to home.

my older daughter moved to scorpions ECNL at u13 and it has been bar none the best athletic experience of her life. we could not be happier--incredibly positive spirit about the club, while performance expectations are high, the culture is great. we did not like Stars feel for that reason (and geographically could have done both). we also like that the ECNL coaches are the owners and you deal directly with them which is quite different than most clubs.

but that is a very ECNL slanted view. if you are the top of the pyramid at any club you will always get the most focus, best coaching, etc. at u11 you want the best coach you can find and most consistent experience to develop your daughter. that could easily be at Bayside or Surf or another club vs. Scorpions. my daughters played town academy and had the same coach for 3rd through 6th grade who was very strong and it was a great experience and the consistency made all the difference.

i have a younger daughter who is not the player my older daughter is. .. maybe more of an ECNL-regional player than the top team. . we are very torn about whether it is worth the drive to Taunton for her and may ultimately decide a state NPL or EDP team like Surf is a better fit for less travel.
                        Newton!

Comment

Newton!
                          Or Wellesley! But I bet same story lots of similar programs

Comment

mommyanddadyyspipedreams.com ffs.

Comment

mommyanddadyyspipedreams.com ffs.
                              Wait. Every 12 year old girl won't some day play for UNC or the USWNT?

Then why on earth is anyone on this web site?

Comment

Hi, I am thinking that I might possibly get married someday and, if so, this woman I have never met and I may eventually have children and it is possible that if I do have children, one or more may turn out to be females. Therefore, I thought I should start going on loser anonymous chat forums to start start discussing my unborn and yet-to-be conceived child's matriculation into an ecnl soccer program.

Please know that I have the athletic prowess of a thimble and plan on passing my genes on to my children, if I every eventually have any at some point.

I should also say that I live in an extraordinarily bizarre fantasy world and excel at wasting time and daydreaming endlessly about nonsense.

Have I come to the right place?

Has anyone heard of the Taunton Scorpions?

This mindless drivel is so fun! Don't you agree?

W-T-F is wrong with people!!!!!!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X