Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the Covid college recruiting landscape like ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

slightly changing the topic-- does anyone know if commitments listed on, say, NESJ, are at the same numbers as they were for the 2020's at this time last year?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      The problem is that the consultant is not the kid's coach, and therefore has no way to really know the talent/quality of the player. So even if the consultant is known to college coaches, that consultant will have no credibility regarding knowing that player other than knowing that the family is willing to pay money for advice.
      Might be true for some 'consultants'. There are legitimate people that set realistic expectations on gpa and skill level. I believe that college coaches appreciate when a 'consultant' brings kids to them that fit the college/university required criteria (gpa range, test scores, soccer skill level, club level, interest in that school, etc). Can you imagine how much garbage coaches receive? Kids that have a 2.9 gpa trying to get in to Tufts because they can score goals in NPL. To have a consultant provide filtered recruits is valuable to a coach. Our consultant has seen my kid play multiple times at high level camps and has evaluations from 6 or 7 college coaches that also provide evaluations at the camps. I think that does bring a certain understanding of the kids talent/quality.

Comment

Might be true for some 'consultants'. There are legitimate people that set realistic expectations on gpa and skill level.
        Wait, what? You’re paying a consultant to match your soccer player with match schools they should realistically have success with anyway? I’m so confused. I thought consultants helped people trade up a bit.

Comment

Lol what a waste of money .Better it be yours than mine.

Comment

YES! A club that is doing it's job will help the player/family target the right programs. After that it's up to the families to chose to listen to their advice (many do not because they're disappointed their kids aren't as good as they thought). Clubs should also make phone calls on the behalf of players, but ultimately it's up to players to sell themselves on the field
            the problem is most DOCs only really know about 5 colleges... great way to end up paying top dollar to sit on the bench for your DOC's drinking buddy after you paid over the odds for club in the first place

Comment

Might be true for some 'consultants'. There are legitimate people that set realistic expectations on gpa and skill level. I believe that college coaches appreciate when a 'consultant' brings kids to them that fit the college/university required criteria (gpa range, test scores, soccer skill level, club level, interest in that school, etc). Can you imagine how much garbage coaches receive? Kids that have a 2.9 gpa trying to get in to Tufts because they can score goals in NPL. To have a consultant provide filtered recruits is valuable to a coach. Our consultant has seen my kid play multiple times at high level camps and has evaluations from 6 or 7 college coaches that also provide evaluations at the camps. I think that does bring a certain understanding of the kids talent/quality.
              You talk like a consultant trying to drum up business

Comment

You talk like a consultant trying to drum up business
                I can see how the sentences and logic throw you off... reading through this made me think of the DOC of a top club in the south talking to a d3 coach from a highly selective school.

The coach says, "which of these kids is going to be academically in the ball park for me?"

DOC says, "all of them, they're all smart kids." So, to all the parents who listened to that DOC, Hahahahaha.... good luck.

Comment

I can see how the sentences and logic throw you off... reading through this made me think of the DOC of a top club in the south talking to a d3 coach from a highly selective school.

The coach says, "which of these kids is going to be academically in the ball park for me?"

DOC says, "all of them, they're all smart kids." So, to all the parents who listened to that DOC, Hahahahaha.... good luck.
                  Tell us more about matching all those match schools with kids that are both an athletic match and an academic match.

Comment

Tell us more about matching all those match schools with kids that are both an athletic match and an academic match.
                    you gotta pay me first... of course, most of NCAA D2 is a monument to parents being willing to pay more if you tell them it's an "athletic scholarship" so I'm probably worth it.

Comment

Clubs and coaches can help with soccer fit. Families can and should also do their own research by looking at rosters, player resumes, who plays the most, how much turnover is there etc. Families have to determine academic fit. There are dozens of online resources out there for that, plus your high school.

Despite all that there are families that won't ever listen to the advice of soccer clubs or high school guidance counselors.

Comment

Seems like a high school guidance counselor might be able to help players figure out good academic matches first, no? Why pay a soccer consultant to do this?

Comment

The greater their wealth the more detached parents become. I'm sure the nanny hired the consultant.

Comment

Seems like a high school guidance counselor might be able to help players figure out good academic matches first, no? Why pay a soccer consultant to do this?
                            Many public school counselors are over-worked with little time per student. Like someone said there are all kinds of free resources out there where families can at least get a broad list put together of possible academic and soccer targets. A good place to start is your own club's list of college placements - look at those players and see how they're doing in college, where they wound up etc.

Comment

Many public school counselors are over-worked with little time per student. Like someone said there are all kinds of free resources out there where families can at least get a broad list put together of possible academic and soccer targets. A good place to start is your own club's list of college placements - look at those players and see how they're doing in college, where they wound up etc.
                              Our public school counselor had no idea what my kid's college opportunities were. We did our own research to create a big list that we curated as we learned more and as our daughter got a bit more exposure to different types of schools.

One thing we did early on was to watch where older players at her club were committing to school - the level of the programs (e.g., general RPI, conference, etc.), how much playing time they were getting (starter vs. contributor vs. no playing time at all). We took note of the kids that played her position and were at a similar level on the club team (e.g., top 3-4 player, middle of the team, #15-20 on the team, etc.) and which kids were targeting schools that fit what we knew of our daughter academically (state school, Patriot League, Ivy, etc.).

Seeing kids that were 3-4 years ahead ending up at the types of school on our kid's initial list gave us some confidence that we weren't way out of whack with our starting point. We talked with some of the parents of players that seemed to be in situations similar to what our daughter might be in down the road, and got a few pointers on the process. This helped us to create some checkpoints that we used to make sure that we weren't missing out on something important (e.g., trying to get interest from an Ivy type of school but not having any test scores to discuss, not having video or a soccer resume ready to go when someone requests it, etc.).

When the time came for our daughter to send letters to coaches for showcases/tournaments, we were careful to note who responded (recruiting coordinator vs. head coach), who showed up at tournaments, and what types of programs were making contact through the club without any prior communication. It was another checkpoint to confirm that the target list was either too high, too low, etc.

Comment

Our public school counselor had no idea what my kid's college opportunities were. We did our own research to create a big list that we curated as we learned more and as our daughter got a bit more exposure to different types of schools.

One thing we did early on was to watch where older players at her club were committing to school - the level of the programs (e.g., general RPI, conference, etc.), how much playing time they were getting (starter vs. contributor vs. no playing time at all). We took note of the kids that played her position and were at a similar level on the club team (e.g., top 3-4 player, middle of the team, #15-20 on the team, etc.) and which kids were targeting schools that fit what we knew of our daughter academically (state school, Patriot League, Ivy, etc.).

Seeing kids that were 3-4 years ahead ending up at the types of school on our kid's initial list gave us some confidence that we weren't way out of whack with our starting point. We talked with some of the parents of players that seemed to be in situations similar to what our daughter might be in down the road, and got a few pointers on the process. This helped us to create some checkpoints that we used to make sure that we weren't missing out on something important (e.g., trying to get interest from an Ivy type of school but not having any test scores to discuss, not having video or a soccer resume ready to go when someone requests it, etc.).

When the time came for our daughter to send letters to coaches for showcases/tournaments, we were careful to note who responded (recruiting coordinator vs. head coach), who showed up at tournaments, and what types of programs were making contact through the club without any prior communication. It was another checkpoint to confirm that the target list was either too high, too low, etc.
                                Well thought out and logical. No money to "consultants" either. A few years ago when my older one (our first) was going through a process some company kept hounding us even though I knew we wouldn't use it. When I found out a very mediocre player on his team was using the company? Warning flags galore. That kid wound up at a weak D3 for both academics and soccer, could have been a walk on.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X