Talking-Soccer.com

Go Back   Talking-Soccer.com > Soccer By Region / State > Region 3 > Florida

Notices

Florida Discussions about Florida soccer.

Old 08-19-2015
Unregistered

Default 70 to 75 % of players leave soccer by age 13 in the USA

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/the91...hoose-freedom/
Old 08-19-2015
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If the stat was backed up by actual resource, direct me to it. I hate it when people just open their mouths and make remarks without it. Otherwise, whole heartedly agree about the siren coaching. Our sons had coaches like this and while they stuck it out until U18, they also did not have respect for coaches because they could think on their own (high academic and soccer IQ) but coaches would continue to chastise them off the field when they did not follow the screaming he was doing from the sideline. We often thought the teams would be successful if the coach would just shut up. Those coaches had few if any recruits going off to college, and that was both club and HS. On the flip side, our girls had a lot of success in club. Their coaches tended to stay quiet through most of game, though would instruct in some situations, and offer kudos when things were done right, and were generally positive when the girls left the field. experiences with HS were not as positive, but i think you have less control over who coaches them in that situation, and they either can rise above coaches remarks, or they chose to not play HS.
Old 08-19-2015
Unregistered

Quote:
Great article, thanks for sharing. However it would be interesting to see if this attrition rate is similar in other sports. As compared to football, basketball and baseball, soccer has FAR FAR FAR less on field/court instruction. So if those other sports have more pressurized instruction yet have lower attrition rates, then what's the issue with soccer?
Old 08-19-2015
Unregistered

Quote:
Great article, thanks for sharing. However it would be interesting to see if this attrition rate is similar in other sports. As compared to football, basketball and baseball, soccer has FAR FAR FAR less on field/court instruction. So if those other sports have more pressurized instruction yet have lower attrition rates, then what's the issue with soccer?
My theory involves RUNNING. America does not have a running or fit culture. Soccer involves running a lot after U13.
Old 08-19-2015
Unregistered

Quote:
My theory involves RUNNING. America does not have a running or fit culture. Soccer involves running a lot after U13.
you got it one of my sons play soccer now in final year his younger brother by 4 yrs till u13 and decided to concentrate on football. I asked him why he said soccer is too much running
Old 08-19-2015
Unregistered

Football and basketball will draw the boys away in HS. My son stayed with basketball/football because everybody goes to those games to watch/cheer and only parents go to soccer games, he wants the spotlight. Look at attendance to college soccer games, dreadful. You play soccer at higher levels because you love the game, not for the peanut scholarships or excited fans.
Old 08-19-2015
Unregistered

Here is an interesting read on sports participation

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/9...-espn-magazine
Old 08-19-2015
Unregistered

Quote:
Haha, take your soccer kids to a true high level football or basketball program and they will learn about running.
Old 08-19-2015
Unregistered

Quote:
Haha, take your soccer kids to a true high level football or basketball program and they will learn about running.
I played Div 1 college football and semi pro soccer. Soccer by far required more running. Football was a joke in comparison.
Old 08-19-2015
Unregistered

Quote:
My theory involves JUICE BOXES AND TROPHIES. Once get to about the u13 year and find out it's not juice boxes and trophies for everybody, they bail.