• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Easily bated by stupidity. ;-)
    Someone here is a master baiter.

Comment

Keep dreaming fool. What profit motive would the Timber's have to subsidize an ECNL program? They begrudgingly supported the GDA, why would they support ECNL? Think before making stupid posts.
      If the cost goes down--and were ECNL to have a separate NW conference (or at least have the NW conference break into two divisions--one CA and UT, one OR, WA, and ID), travel would be much cheaper, especially for the Thorns. The Peregrine subsidy might actually make the program affordable.

The $8k rumor (was this ever announced by the Thorns, or is it a nuch of hooey), if true, was likely based on a horrible travel schedule, with air travel needed to a large number of league games.

But if it's just trips across town or bus rides to Seattle (maybe one to Boise or Spokane in the future), other than the occasional showcase, then their costs should be similar to CU or FC.

And if subsidized, then the end cost could easily be well below a non-travel team.

Moral of the story: Be careful what you wish for (in this case the end of GDA). You might get it!

Comment

Someone here is a master baiter.
        To girls soccer baby!

Comment

If the cost goes down--and were ECNL to have a separate NW conference (or at least have the NW conference break into two divisions--one CA and UT, one OR, WA, and ID), travel would be much cheaper, especially for the Thorns. The Peregrine subsidy might actually make the program affordable.

The $8k rumor (was this ever announced by the Thorns, or is it a nuch of hooey), if true, was likely based on a horrible travel schedule, with air travel needed to a large number of league games.

But if it's just trips across town or bus rides to Seattle (maybe one to Boise or Spokane in the future), other than the occasional showcase, then their costs should be similar to CU or FC.

And if subsidized, then the end cost could easily be well below a non-travel team.

Moral of the story: Be careful what you wish for (in this case the end of GDA). You might get it!
          If if if if....

Comment

If what they were posting was actually stupid, what would that make you? For constantly replying to stupidity? An even denser tool..jus sayin. No skin in this game.
            In this case I'm just calling them names (like stupid) for ******* me off with facts, which is mostly a function of my underdeveloped frontal lobe which connects to my limbic system that is designed to control my automatic and primitive reactions, but these reactions are heavily dependent upon emotion and experience. My bad, point taken.

Comment

The price was on their website. I think it was $7,800 or so.

Comment

I just wish people would do their homework before posting on this site. It could be useful. First of all, there already is a breakdown of NW Conference into separate divisions between PNW and the Pacific Division. You cross over to play NorCal once per year.

Secondly, the $8K isn't a rumor. It was posted on their webpage ... in fact, still is http://www.portlandthornsacademy.org...er%20Costs.pdf. Looks to be more like $7,400 - $7,500. That wouldn't include parent travel which some parents do.

Third, I don't think Spokane is in the cards for an ECNL team or anything like that, and it probably shouldn't be. Finally, I think all businesses are looking at their budgets right now and looking for cuts. Peregrine is no different. Debt to service on the stadium renovation. Player salaries. Limited or no gate receipts and concessions. Partial television payments. Revenues are going to be down for awhile. I think the likelihood that they spend six or even five figures on the Thorns youth system is pretty speculative.

Comment

I just wish people would do their homework before posting on this site. It could be useful. First of all, there already is a breakdown of NW Conference into separate divisions between PNW and the Pacific Division. You cross over to play NorCal once per year.

Secondly, the $8K isn't a rumor. It was posted on their webpage ... in fact, still is http://www.portlandthornsacademy.org...er%20Costs.pdf. Looks to be more like $7,400 - $7,500. That wouldn't include parent travel which some parents do.

Third, I don't think Spokane is in the cards for an ECNL team or anything like that, and it probably shouldn't be. Finally, I think all businesses are looking at their budgets right now and looking for cuts. Peregrine is no different. Debt to service on the stadium renovation. Player salaries. Limited or no gate receipts and concessions. Partial television payments. Revenues are going to be down for awhile. I think the likelihood that they spend six or even five figures on the Thorns youth system is pretty speculative.
                  Dont forget to add this to the $7,500.00 Fee as stated on their form.

What Costs are not included in the Thorns Academy Fee?
                  • Player’s personal travel and incidental expenses (such as food, etc.)
                  • Player’s and Coach’s travel expenses for additional USDA Approved Events (such as Surf Cup)
                  • Player’s Nike Uniform Kit – kit is for the 2019/2020 and the 2020/2021 Seasons
                  • Additional Travel Fees related to Playoffs for teams that make playoffs

Comment

crazy

• Player’s and Coach’s travel expenses for additional USDA Approved Events (such as Surf Cup)
                    • Player’s Nike Uniform Kit – kit is for the 2019/2020 and the 2020/2021 Seasons
                    This doesn't make any sense nor applies since the Thorns are not USDA team anymore.
                    If they do in fact go to the ECNL would't their cost be similar to the teams already in the league? If they go OYSA their cost would be similar to other OYSA teams?

Comment

Great call out. Thank you. I assume that things will change now that GDA is gone, but the broader point is this doesn't look subsidized in the least.

Comment

ECNL needs to add two teams.

I say Thorns or Eugene area.....or Thorns and Vancouver.

Comment

Yeah, right. The entire Northern California region, which has a population of 16 million, only has 8 ECNL clubs. The two existing clubs in the Portland Metropolitan aren't very competitive when they compete outside of our region right now, but we need another 2 ECNL clubs here?

Comment

Eugene? That's laughable. Salem maybe.

Comment

Yeah, right. The entire Northern California region, which has a population of 16 million, only has 8 ECNL clubs. The two existing clubs in the Portland Metropolitan aren't very competitive when they compete outside of our region right now, but we need another 2 ECNL clubs here?
                              ECNL is fine with 2 in Oregon. Anymore wouldn't work. CU is competitive outside of the region, so are certain FC teams. But, consolidation by adding the better players from Thorns to each of the existing ECNL teams would help. There aren't that many, but 2 to 4 here or there would definitely be good.

Comment

Why CU

Why would the ECNL keep CU and not replace them with the Thorns. CU isn't a real organization, it is two clubs trying to make it work.

Plus adding the financial stability of the Timbers organization and ties to one of the best women's sports franchises in the world can't be a bad thing.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X