Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    The women chose the pay structure they have. Then when they realized that they would have made more money under the system they rejected, they sued. They deserve no pity.
    This is it exactly.

I don't disagree with the intent of USWNT, and I think they were successful in the court of public opinion during their world cup run. Legally, it was baseless. In the same way that residential real estate brokers make more in Wellesley than they do in Woburn. It's the same work, but the market with more money pays more money. Pile on top of that, the women asked for a totally different structure with lower risk. Good to see that travel conditions moved forward tho. That was indefensible on USSF part. Playing conditions while temporary should also be resolved.

Comment

This is it exactly.

I don't disagree with the intent of USWNT, and I think they were successful in the court of public opinion during their world cup run. Legally, it was baseless. In the same way that residential real estate brokers make more in Wellesley than they do in Woburn. It's the same work, but the market with more money pays more money. Pile on top of that, the women asked for a totally different structure with lower risk. Good to see that travel conditions moved forward tho. That was indefensible on USSF part. Playing conditions while temporary should also be resolved.
      There's no doubt in my mind that USSF:

1) Has behaved in discriminatory ways
      2) Was very late to recognize the value, popularity and potential of women's soccer, particularly youth soccer
      3) When they did finally see the light, years too late, they totally botched their takeover attempt with GDA, throwing higher level girls soccer into disarray

BUT, their legal case has always been problematic because they focused on pay (which was necessary on some level because that's where the money is!), but it is one piece of this that they collectively bargained ie. one place where the women did have some say. They agreed to a particular pay structure that was different than the men and in some scenarios it works to their benefit and in others it doesn't but it was the product of a negotiation. It's going to be hard to overcome that in court and it isn't crazy or inconsistent to agree that while the USSF has all sorts of issues with how it's treated women, the women shouldn't be able to overturn a pay structure they agreed to.

Comment

There's no doubt in my mind that USSF:

1) Has behaved in discriminatory ways
        2) Was very late to recognize the value, popularity and potential of women's soccer, particularly youth soccer
        3) When they did finally see the light, years too late, they totally botched their takeover attempt with GDA, throwing higher level girls soccer into disarray

BUT, their legal case has always been problematic because they focused on pay (which was necessary on some level because that's where the money is!), but it is one piece of this that they collectively bargained ie. one place where the women did have some say. They agreed to a particular pay structure that was different than the men and in some scenarios it works to their benefit and in others it doesn't but it was the product of a negotiation. It's going to be hard to overcome that in court and it isn't crazy or inconsistent to agree that while the USSF has all sorts of issues with how it's treated women, the women shouldn't be able to overturn a pay structure they agreed to.
        Well said.
        I think USSF cost themselves money in the way they handled this. They won this battle, but they are still losing. Would have been much cheaper to correct the travel discrepancy, and add an addendum to the contract with a few incentives tied to revenue milestones. Women get to keep the lower-risk contract they actually prefer and USSF gets to enlist them as partners in driving revenue (merch, tickets, ads, performance) that they are now motivated to drive.

Comment

Sanity in the judicial system. Who would have thunk it?
          Anyone who understands contract law knew this was coming.

Comment

The team knew it had public support and wanted to capitalize on it. The court of public opinion can be mighty, but right now no one gives a rat's *****. NWSL has also stated they will start practices early May. Even with everyone home no one will watch their games on TV.
            Wrong. The WNBA draft had high viewership. And many are watching the rebroadcasting of old WNT games.

Comment

Well said.
              I think USSF cost themselves money in the way they handled this. They won this battle, but they are still losing. Would have been much cheaper to correct the travel discrepancy, and add an addendum to the contract with a few incentives tied to revenue milestones. Women get to keep the lower-risk contract they actually prefer and USSF gets to enlist them as partners in driving revenue (merch, tickets, ads, performance) that they are now motivated to drive.
              The gal's had the ability to settle and were presented options similar to what you noted. But then greed set in. They wanted 60 million dollars. Many remember that Rapinoe comment. And most were put off by it.

Comment

The gal's had the ability to settle and were presented options similar to what you noted. But then greed set in. They wanted 60 million dollars. Many remember that Rapinoe comment. And most were put off by it.
                I didn't know that. If indeed they were incentives for hitting revenue milestones, and those incentives were reasonable - eg. Split it after hitting milestone Z where Z = costs + x%, and x is also reasonable like 10%). If women turned that down, that needs to be more broadly shared. I am less sympathetic

Comment

Wrong. The WNBA draft had high viewership. And many are watching the rebroadcasting of old WNT games.
                  Hahahahah ok

Comment

No. the law is the law. seems the women got very poor legal advice. Still dont have to put that damn patch on my kids shirts.
                    More proof there's always a lawyer willing to take your case, no matter how thin it may be.

Comment

People will watch paint dry they're so bored. ^ means nothing, zero. As soon as life goes back to normal (????) the WNBA and NWSL will continue to have crap attendance and viewership numbers.

Comment

Hahahahah ok
                        It is true.

Comment

People will watch paint dry they're so bored. ^ means nothing, zero. As soon as life goes back to normal (????) the WNBA and NWSL will continue to have crap attendance and viewership numbers.
                          Why are you dead against the advancement of these sports?
                          Maybe the drought will bring out people. These are affordable family events.

Comment

I enjoy watching many women's sports.
                            Tennis, soccer, T&F, and Enduance (tri, Spartan, etc). I actually prefer women
                            golf, softball and volleyball i find almost as good
                            Others such as women's Ice Hickey and Basketball I find unmatchable

Its not inherently sexist to say I don't like it.

Comment

I enjoy watching many women's sports.
                              Tennis, soccer, T&F, and Enduance (tri, Spartan, etc). I actually prefer women
                              golf, softball and volleyball i find almost as good
                              Others such as women's Ice Hickey and Basketball I find unmatchable

Its not inherently sexist to say I don't like it.
                              Who said sexist? The poster said due to the drought some women's sports may pick up a few more viewers/supporters. That is a good thing.

Comment

Who said sexist? The poster said due to the drought some women's sports may pick up a few more viewers/supporters. That is a good thing.
                                It will be temporary. I'm watching hours of Ridiculousness with my kids but won't once life goes back to something more normal. Mindless fun, but real life leaves less time for that

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X