Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is wrong with the MLS Clubs

The DA has splintered into tiers, giving the MLS more games against their professional brothers.

NYCFC, Red Bulls the Tri State MLS teams.

While they are not play to pay sort of speak, and the kits free, and the training is more robust.... what is the REAL cost of participating in an MLS Academy beyond the saved dollars and cents?

What is the status of their Academy teams in terms of performance?

This is a honest debate, not a bravado thread to sling insults ....

Unless the da teams become willing to play other top level teams (outside of their own da bubble) for standings....this is a mute point....at the end of the day, after 12 years of da, not one mens nt players are from da.

So in summary problems with da:
    1) they don't play for standings.
    2) they don't play other top teams (outside of their da bubble).

Perks for da:
    1) free training
    2) marketing and exposure for the athlete.

Comment

Not true

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Unless the da teams become willing to play other top level teams (outside of their own da bubble) for standings....this is a mute point....at the end of the day, after 12 years of da, not one mens nt players are from da.

Perks for da:
      1) free training
      That is not true.

Christian Pulisic was at PA Classics, which is a USSDA club, and he grew up in that system.

Comment

Standings

Perks for da:
        1) free training
        The DA do have standings, they just begin at U-15, and the DA Cup is a pretty seriously high level event, which NYCFC U18-19 has won back to back years

Comment

That is not true.

Christian Pulisic was at PA Classics, which is a USSDA club, and he grew up in that system.
          Come on Christian Pulisic before playing DA played in a youth academy in England for a year which most likely helped him get to a DA team when he returned to the USA. He also left at 16 to join a German youth academy. He joined the USMNT in 2016 after being in Germany for 2 years. You can't give the DA any credit for that. The DA has been around for 12 years name 1 player who is on USMNT who spent all his development years U12-U19 in the DA.

Comment

That is not true.

He is a DA outlier in every possible sense - great genetics, soccer-coach parents who knew what they were doing, ability to train and play abroad that most US kids don't have. Don't use him as an example. The vast majority of younger players in MLS came through their MLS clubs (the other half coming from international). As more MLS clubs add residency programs they will be able to draw talent from anywhere in the US, thus further reducing the role of non MLS clubs.

Comment

Come on Christian Pulisic before playing DA played in a youth academy in England for a year which most likely helped him get to a DA team when he returned to the USA. He also left at 16 to join a German youth academy. He joined the USMNT in 2016 after being in Germany for 2 years. You can't give the DA any credit for that. The DA has been around for 12 years name 1 player who is on USMNT who spent all his development years U12-U19 in the DA.
              Not the poster and I already admonished him for that. However, as much of the MNT is older of course most will not have come through DA. Some of the better younger talent is all DA, but their ability to compete internationally is still largely untested.

Comment

Not enough time

DA may have begun a while ago, but they only got good at their craft about 5 years ago.

It will happen. I mean GIO Reyna will be there, as will SANDS, both DA players.

there are others.... just you wait. There are 2-3 national players coming from LA Galaxy in 2-4 years.

It will happen, but the next 5-7 years will outproduce the first 10 years by 3/4x

Comment

Not the poster and I already admonished him for that. However, as much of the MNT is older of course most will not have come through DA. Some of the better younger talent is all DA, but their ability to compete internationally is still largely untested.
                  "Some of the better younger talent is all DA" *** are we trying to say?

Comment

Better younger players

"Some of the better younger talent is all DA" *** are we trying to say?
                    Yes, I think what is being said is that the pipeline of players from the DA is at a higher level than its been in the past.

To be determined in the future....

But I think the thread is about the pitfalls of MLS Academies.

Comment

DA may have begun a while ago, but they only got good at their craft about 5 years ago.

It will happen. I mean GIO Reyna will be there, as will SANDS, both DA players.

there are others.... just you wait. There are 2-3 national players coming from LA Galaxy in 2-4 years.

It will happen, but the next 5-7 years will outproduce the first 10 years by 3/4x
                      mls teams are stacked with foreign born players on their rosters!!!!!!! STACKED!!!
                      your bs time frames is all bs, (but hell i get it, even a broken watch is precise 2x a day)!!!!

Comment

Change

mls teams are stacked with foreign born players on their rosters!!!!!!! STACKED!!!
                        your bs time frames is all bs, (but hell i get it, even a broken watch is precise 2x a day)!!!!
                        I'm not suggesting that foreign players won't continue to be a staple for MLS teams, what I'm saying is that over the course of the next decade, there will be MORE players joining European professional clubs from the USA DA system. And there will be more home grown players in MLS from their Academies. Will the %'s flip, I don't know, but I'm confident that they will drift towards more home DA players in the composition.

There are now two home grown players on NYCFC, Sands and Scully. Thats not just an accident.

Comment

I'm not suggesting that foreign players won't continue to be a staple for MLS teams, what I'm saying is that over the course of the next decade, there will be MORE players joining European professional clubs from the USA DA system. And there will be more home grown players in MLS from their Academies. Will the %'s flip, I don't know, but I'm confident that they will drift towards more home DA players in the composition.

There are now two home grown players on NYCFC, Sands and Scully. Thats not just an accident.
                          my prediction is that the men nt will be extremely lucky to make the round of 16 for the next four WC (2022, 2026, 2030 and 2034) perhaps 50 years for them to make the semis. and a snowballs chance in H_LL to make the finals.

Comment

my prediction is that the men nt will be extremely lucky to make the round of 16 for the next four WC (2022, 2026, 2030 and 2034) perhaps 50 years for them to make the semis. and a snowballs chance in H_LL to make the finals.
                            excellent trolling carnac the magnificent

Comment

Waste of our time

Please don't waste our time with 10-15-20 year predictions. They just aren't really relevant for our discussion as its completely op ed with little to no skill set of validating.

We live in the here and now.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X