Why DA may be the worst path for keepers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evaluating a GK is a lot like evaluating a football Quarterback in that the basics have to be there otherwise they are not even interested in going the first step because the position is otherwise so complex. If the prospect doesn't have the requisite size and athleticism it really doesn't matter how good their distribution is or what type of prescience they have on the field so coaches will generally just move on.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Different poster. And I agree it marginalizes the importance of evaluating a keeper during a game. That said, multiple college coaches have told me that they often make their initial impressions in warmups. Many more shots in a shorter time frame, great chance to see their focus, athletic ability, attitude and work ethic. Also, coach's time is limited, and field players need to be evaluated in game situations. Once a goalie is targeted the coach will likely evaluate them further in game situations.
      If you have a good GK coach, the warm up will show a great deal in terms of technique and distribution.

Comment

Fewer, more meaningful games will be the death of keeper development. While keepers face different challenges physically, their bodies aren't being run down like a field player's would.

Keepers need to play in as many games as humanly possible. They need the reps. They need to work through every conceivable situation.

If your son is lucky enough to be a starter he'll probably get to play in 75% of the total minutes available. The Revs have 27 games listed for the year(including tournaments). That means a starter can hope to play in the equivalent of 20-21 full games. Does anyone think that's enough for an entire year?

What if your kid is a back up keeper. He gets around 7 games worth of play in the year. There were 3 week stretches in the past where my kid played in more than 7 games. While that could really tax a field player, it's no big deal for a keeper.

What if your keeper child is playing on a strong team that controls the play? Now your starter kid is playing 21 games but he's only seeing meaningful action in 12, or he plays even less because of big leads that usher in his back up.

How can any of this be good for keepers?
        If you are questioning whether or not you can do it, you don't have what it takes to do it.

Comment

HS soccer won't be challenging. That's what club is for.
          Because they hardly ever have blowouts in club soccer...

Comment

If you are questioning whether or not you can do it, you don't have what it takes to do it.
            What? It's not about the parent. What a waste of words you are.

Comment

What? It's not about the parent. What a waste of words you are.
              I would assume they are having this discussion with the player. My point is the kid can't doubt themselves. If as a parent you are throwing this into their head and they are buying it, they can't do it.

Comment

I would assume they are having this discussion with the player. My point is the kid can't doubt themselves. If as a parent you are throwing this into their head and they are buying it, they can't do it.
                Then you would also have to assume that the poster has an issue with reading comprehension.

The point is that even starters don't get enough game specific action to benefit them in the long run because DA minimizes games and mandates no other soccer for its players.

How does the comment below have anything to do with my concern?

To be clear my kid wants to do MORE but can't.

I'm not "throwing" anything into his "head," whatever that means. He's perfectly confident, healthy, athletic, and wants to play in more games than he currently is participating.

Comment

First impression isn't what the other poster said. They claimed colleges "only" scout keepers during warmups.
                  Many coaches will want keepers they are interested in to attend camps so that the college gk coach can put them through the paces, as well as see how they handle scrimmages. Coaches can't stay long for games and if a gk isn't getting much action at that point in time they aren't getting a full picture.

Comment

Because they hardly ever have blowouts in club soccer...
                    OP said player left prep school for public. Very different level of play for many puvlic hs programs relative to prep, DA or high level club.

Comment

Then you would also have to assume that the poster has an issue with reading comprehension.

The point is that even starters don't get enough game specific action to benefit them in the long run because DA minimizes games and mandates no other soccer for its players.

How does the comment below have anything to do with my concern?

To be clear my kid wants to do MORE but can't.

I'm not "throwing" anything into his "head," whatever that means. He's perfectly confident, healthy, athletic, and wants to play in more games than he currently is participating.

I can only think of one gk in the past 5 years who didn't play DAP that gets significant playing time in college. Good Luck.

Comment

I can only think of one gk in the past 5 years who didn't play DAP that gets significant playing time in college. Good Luck.
                        Yes you know about all several hundred college programs

Comment

Yes you know about all several hundred college programs
                          I'm talking about keepers out of Massachusetts...

Comment

You are better off being a backup at the Revs than the number one at a a little club. The training alone is worth the move. Technique is EVERYTHING in GK evaluation.

Comment

If you have a good GK coach, the warm up will show a great deal in terms of technique and distribution.
                              Club GK coaches attend games to warm keepers up?

Last yr my son got a warmup from the team coach. This year, different club, he warms up with the field players. This is U13.

I think a keeper warmup is great, if the coach knows what he is doing. Too many coaches just blast balls (or have the players blast balls) at the keeper. Hardly a warmup.

Comment

Club GK coaches attend games to warm keepers up?

Last yr my son got a warmup from the team coach. This year, different club, he warms up with the field players. This is U13.

I think a keeper warmup is great, if the coach knows what he is doing. Too many coaches just blast balls (or have the players blast balls) at the keeper. Hardly a warmup.
                                I don't know about club GK coaches, but DAP GK coaches do!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X