Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Wrong. See the dozen ECNL commits on https://twitter.com/BostonBolts.
    So, for the uneducated amongst us, or the skeptics, please can someone explain what ‘player commits’ actually means? Most players end up committing to a college don’t they? Even players who just play ‘social soccer’ So I guess my question is could the poster explain alongside each ‘commit’ posted here just exactly how much of a scholarship the players are receiving? How much are the families still actual paying to send kid to college after spending years paying thousands of dollars to play soccer? Can anyone accurately answer without distorting the truth?

Comment

Yes if parents are smart they will jump the Scorpions girls sinking ship and head over to the Bolts! The Scorpions are becoming a pathetic lost cause run by the most incompetent staff who care nothing about retention and player/family satisfaction.

Comment

So, for the uneducated amongst us, or the skeptics, please can someone explain what ‘player commits’ actually means? Most players end up committing to a college don’t they? Even players who just play ‘social soccer’ So I guess my question is could the poster explain alongside each ‘commit’ posted here just exactly how much of a scholarship the players are receiving? How much are the families still actual paying to send kid to college after spending years paying thousands of dollars to play soccer? Can anyone accurately answer without distorting the truth?
        Wow, you really have a lot to learn. New here?

Comment

Reality

<13% of all HS varsity athletes continue to play for the varsity level sport in college in their first year. These data are from 2016. The number drops off with each year of college for a number of reasons...Got cut, injury, change in priorities, change school, no playtime. As more schools look outside the US or as more foreign students come to the US these numbers are expected to drop further.
          These numbers are very superficial as 13 is the highest number across all sports. Soccer is <10%.
          The disappearance of JV teams has affected this significantly.
          School selection is affected by many variables and ‘commitment’ and ‘scholarships’ are, contractual and yearly reassessed. The only thing that is guaranteed is that you kid has been accepted to the school. Unless he or she is booted for specific reasons (academic, behavioral etc) they can get their degree. However, any coaches commitment to playtime or athletic money is a yearly thing.

Probabaly a good idea to make sure your kid really really likes the school before any comitment.

Comment

Wow, you really have a lot to learn. New here?
            3 years, so not sure if you want to count that as new. So? Are you going to teach or just posture?

Comment

I suspect you are reading the other active threads too. This is widely discussed, therefore you know that the short answer to your final question is NO.

Read the rest of TS for added color but this is the core:
              NLI = Binding Contract for Athletic Grant in Aid (Scholarship). Signed Senior year. This has a scholarship, but terms are always private. Full? Half? Token? 1-year renewable or 4-year guaranteed? Best way to tell is read the college press release. Top names got good offers, bottom names got token

Commit = Various Meanings depending on context:
              D1/D2 means a non-binding offer has been presented-accepted. NLI will finalize it later. These offers tend to stick as integrity of program for future recruits is critical. Student could screw it up tho.

D3 context it could mean two things.
              1. D3 Coach has made a roster commitment, and offered to support the application, but student still needs to be admitted, which doesn't always happen.
              2. Student/Family wants D3 student to have D1 NLI moment and posts picture of student signing/committing to a college when all they are signing is the same piece of paper EVERY enrolling student signs.

Comment

3 years, so not sure if you want to count that as new. So? Are you going to teach or just posture?
                That's not my job. Start reading and stop being lazy.

Comment

I suspect you are reading the other active threads too. This is widely discussed, therefore you know that the short answer to your final question is NO.

NLI = Binding Contract for Athletic Grant in Aid (Scholarship). Signed Senior year. This has a scholarship, but terms are always private. Full? Half? Token? 1-year renewable or 4-year guaranteed? Best way to tell is read the college press release. Top names got good offers, bottom names got token

D1/D2 means a non-binding offer has been presented-accepted. NLI will finalize it later. These offers tend to stick as integrity of program for future recruits is critical. Student could screw it up tho.

1. D3 Coach has made a roster commitment, and offered to support the application, but student still needs to be admitted, which doesn't always happen.
                  2. Student/Family wants D3 student to have D1 NLI moment and posts picture of student signing/committing to a college when all they are signing is the same piece of paper EVERY enrolling student signs.

Careful of what you consider a 4-year guarantee. No contract will be a 4-year guarantee without caveats......for example an athletic scholarship requires the athlete to be on the team each year. There are enough reasons for a player to be off the roster that the idea that the athlete consider the reality that he/she is also a student and wanting to be at the school regardless of the sport is still very important.
                  Another rarely considered part is the 'red-shirt' year and whether or not (it should) the money is still there.

Comment

That's not my job. Start reading and stop being lazy.
                    Just as I thought. You didn’t disappoint.

Comment

Thank you for this information.

Comment

Just as I thought. You didn’t disappoint.
                        I'm sorry but I can't hear you over your laziness.

Comment

Careful of what you consider a 4-year guarantee. No contract will be a 4-year guarantee without caveats......for example an athletic scholarship requires the athlete to be on the team each year. There are enough reasons for a player to be off the roster that the idea that the athlete consider the reality that he/she is also a student and wanting to be at the school regardless of the sport is still very important.
                          Another rarely considered part is the 'red-shirt' year and whether or not (it should) the money is still there.
                          Scholarships are year to year. They can be cut in half or taken away

Comment

And don't think for a second that they won't rebuild the girls side! Tough starting from scratch but the successes of the boys side will help with recruitment.
                            I heard fcusa possibly buying Scorpions. Could be rumor mill though.

Comment

Who are the Scorpions? I thought this was about the Bolts.

Comment

Great, write Fred a check to get out of youth soccer today.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X