Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I am an HC alum and my son plays soccer but is not good enough to play at the school.

The comments here on the academic requirements at HC are true and the role athletics should play is discussed ad nauseum among the alums.

The issue for the athletes at HC, is that there is nowhere to hide. There are no "basket-weaving" courses. Every course requires more than just showing up to class. HC has about 2,700 students. They really do not have part-time programs and have not started any evening graduate programs like many other Catholic schools. HC is strictly an undergraduate Liberal Arts college.

HC also, competes in 25 D1 sports(men & women). There are probably one of only a handful of schools in the country that have as high a percentage of their students competing at the D1 level and the fact is that football and basketball will always be the most important sports at HC. Historically all the non-revenue sports (ncluding soccer) have been an afterthought. Even in the Patriot League they have had a tough time competing in the minor sports because the attention to those sports has not been there.

HC has a new president who feels that athletics should play a bigger role and can be used as a means to attract quality students. HC hired a new athletic director a few years ago whose charge is to raise the profile of athletics - including the non-revenue sports. The school conducted a capital campaign and is redoing the Hart Center and building an indoor training facility that will primarily be used by the football team – but I assume will be used by the soccer team as well.

HC has money. Although the endowment is dwarfed by many schools the endowment per student is second only to Notre Dame among the nation's Catholic schools. The alums have historically been very generous to the school and the school boasts that more than 50% of its alums give money to the school each year.

With all this said, however, the fact remains that with 25 D1 sports the amount of scholarship money available to the soccer players is limited. Any coach coming into the program is going to have high expectations and limited resources. I know scholarship money is available to some of the soccer players, but a coach has to parse that money out among the roster and I doubt any one player is getting a full ride. HC is not cheap so this means that the players are going to have to foot some of the tuition bill.

So any player that is recruited needs to be able to perform academically, want to pay for part of the costs(which could be sizable) and want to pursue a strictly Liberal Arts degree. It is not an easy recruiting situation for any coach.

I watched HC beat UNH this year(when UNH was ranked) and I saw them give BC a game last year. I don’t know enough about soccer to determine if Koolman is a good coach or not, but it is not going to be easy for any coach who takes the job.
    Sorry but you are just making excuses for HC. I'm a HC alum as well. They once had not just good, but great, sports programs and absolutely were capable of producing both students and athletes at the same time but then Fr Brooks decided that they didn't want to play the big time sports game. That was actually about money, not education. When you look at how big schools like BC and Georgetown have become since then it was a gamble that ultimately failed. The problems at HC are basically athletics are not a priority and the administration only gives lip service to the athletic department. They are trying to be a D3 athletic program while competing in the D1 world. That's why their teams generally stink and it has nothing to do athletes not being able to "hide" on their campus. Places like Stanford, Duke, and Georgetown etc are equally rigorous academically and yet they seem to be able to get the job done both in the classroom and out on the field. The bottom line is the problems with HC athletics could be solved with investment in facilities, coaches and players but the school chooses not to do that so what you see is what you get. Second rate athletics living off legends off yesterday.

Comment

Sorry but you are just making excuses for HC. I'm a HC alum as well. They once had not just good, but great, sports programs and absolutely were capable of producing both students and athletes at the same time but then Fr Brooks decided that they didn't want to play the big time sports game. That was actually about money, not education. When you look at how big schools like BC and Georgetown have become since then it was a gamble that ultimately failed. The problems at HC are basically athletics are not a priority and the administration only gives lip service to the athletic department. They are trying to be a D3 athletic program while competing in the D1 world. That's why their teams generally stink and it has nothing to do athletes not being able to "hide" on their campus. Places like Stanford, Duke, and Georgetown etc are equally rigorous academically and yet they seem to be able to get the job done both in the classroom and out on the field. The bottom line is the problems with HC athletics could be solved with investment in facilities, coaches and players but the school chooses not to do that so what you see is what you get. Second rate athletics living off legends off yesterday.
      I suspect that ship has sailed, but how about just trying to be merely good and be able to compete against similarly-situated Patriot League schools? I can't comment on the current guy's technical abilities as a coach, but their recruiting profile is low locally compared with where it should be- they should be in the mix for every kid who wants BC but is a step too slow for the ACC (understanding that they'll lose some because of the Patriot League academic standards).

Comment

I suspect that ship has sailed, but how about just trying to be merely good and be able to compete against similarly-situated Patriot League schools? I can't comment on the current guy's technical abilities as a coach, but their recruiting profile is low locally compared with where it should be- they should be in the mix for every kid who wants BC but is a step too slow for the ACC (understanding that they'll lose some because of the Patriot League academic standards).
        Same player that BU, Northeastern and Providence are looking for. The bottom line to D1 athletics is you have to get out there and recruit. You certainly can't sit back and wait for prospects to come looking for you. The real problem around here is none of the college coaches actually know how to recruit. In other parts of the country the college athletic programs do way more in the communities with appearance, clinics etc all in the guise of public service when in reality it is all part of their recruiting process. They start building name recognition and brand loyalty years before a kid even dreams of being recruited and so when it does become time for them to select a college they naturally consider the school that they have been following for years. None of the coaches around here approach recruiting anywhere near like that.

Comment

Same player that BU, Northeastern and Providence are looking for. The bottom line to D1 athletics is you have to get out there and recruit. You certainly can't sit back and wait for prospects to come looking for you. The real problem around here is none of the college coaches actually know how to recruit. In other parts of the country the college athletic programs do way more in the communities with appearance, clinics etc all in the guise of public service when in reality it is all part of their recruiting process. They start building name recognition and brand loyalty years before a kid even dreams of being recruited and so when it does become time for them to select a college they naturally consider the school that they have been following for years. None of the coaches around here approach recruiting anywhere near like that.
          Agree that it's the same pool of kids, and that the coaches have to recruit. A lot of that visibility can come from coaching at the club level. Don't know why HC hasn't tapped the Bolts more fully (had to defer to NU?). In any case, the schools you mention are often in the recruiting mix for those kids when HC is not- don't know why. Maybe they've conceded the local market, but don't know why they would.

Comment

Earlier poster said it first. MK is a lazy recruiter. I know several kids from NEFC, GPS, Revs DAP, Stars now playing at other New England D1 that were good enough students to get into Holy Cross that MK wouldn't give the time of day to. There are players on the Holy Cross roster right now that leave us scratching our heads as to who they are and what did MK see in them. The idiot has Worcester Academy right across the street and wouldn't respond to those kids calls and emails.

Good players make good coaches and you're not going to get good players when you don't pursue good players.

Comment

As mentioned discussion about HC athletics among HC alums goes on ad nausum.

i agree that HC turning down the invite to the Big East was a big mistake and I hope they are doing the right things to get the invite to Hockey East.

But ..

Look at the schools you mention:

Stamford - enrollment 16,000(graduate & undergraduate) 32 D1 sports
              Georgetown - enrollment 18,000(graduate & undergraduate) 23 D1 sports
              Duke - enrollment 15,000(graduate & undergraduate) 21 D1 sports
              Holy Cross -enrollment 2,700(strictly undergraduate) 25 D 1 sports

Not all these athletes at HC can expect scholarships. it is not fiscally feasible.

HC spends far more on football than Georgetown and none of these schools have a hockey team like HC. In fact, Georgetown provides no football scholarships and their ability to compete in the Patriot League in football is going to be very difficult.

I don't have the numbers, but suspect that HC spends far more per student on athletics than any of the schools you mention.

I am guessing HC would love to compete in D3 in the non-revenue sports and when I was there they could. The problem is the NCAA won't let them do that anymore.

As far as recruiting locally, it is true HC has few soccer recruits from the area. Is it the cost the kid would have to pay? Is it the academics? is it the school's curriculum?

I know from HC's perspective they want to widen their reach across the country so they are not considered strictly a regional New England school. The kids they recruit for these sports can help in this regard. If you look at their roster there are kids from the west coast and the mid-west. It would certainly be cheaper to recruit locally.

Comment

i agree that HC turning down the invite to the Big East was a big mistake and I hope they are doing the right things to get the invite to Hockey East.

But ..

Not all these athletes at HC can expect scholarships. it is not fiscally feasible.

HC spends far more on football than Georgetown and none of these schools have a hockey team like HC. In fact, Georgetown provides no football scholarships and their ability to compete in the Patriot League in football is going to be very difficult.

I don't have the numbers, but suspect that HC spends far more per student on athletics than any of the schools you mention.

I am guessing HC would love to compete in D3 in the non-revenue sports and when I was there they could. The problem is the NCAA won't let them do that anymore.

As far as recruiting locally, it is true HC has few soccer recruits from the area. Is it the cost the kid would have to pay? Is it the academics? is it the school's curriculum?

I know from HC's perspective they want to widen their reach across the country so they are not considered strictly a regional New England school. The kids they recruit for these sports can help in this regard. If you look at their roster there are kids from the west coast and the mid-west. It would certainly be cheaper to recruit locally.
                It's not Holy Cross's cost, curriculum or academics. Let me ask this, if a kid is smart enough to get into BC, Colgate, Northeastern, Amherst maybe even Providence doesn't it stand to reason that they could probably get into Holy Cross too? Look at their rosters. Local kids from those schools are still waiting for a return email from MK.

Comment

Holy Cross has multiple Bolts on the roster, with more coming in next fall. RB is active on the recruiting trail among DA teams in the northeast. He goes to a lot of games, contacts DA coaches, and follows up with the players.

Comment

Holy Cross has multiple Bolts on the roster, with more coming in next fall. RB is active on the recruiting trail among DA teams in the northeast. He goes to a lot of games, contacts DA coaches, and follows up with the players.
                    Then he's doing it with the wrong players. Look at his record.

Comment

Then he's doing it with the wrong players. Look at his record.
                      Has it been confirmed that he is out?

I do agree with previous posts. Kids RB was recruiting and then MK had no idea who they were when they came to visit. His trademark deer in the headlights look. Needless to say after that experience these same players landed up taking slots at BU, PC and Northeastern for 2017...

Comment

But ..

That's just not true that college sports are related in any way to enrollment. Do you realize that most D1 athletic programs are separate business entities (usually non profit) from the schools and that most of the big time college programs are run more like a pro sports franchise. It's all about ticket sales and marketing deals. HC has the same problem that the Breakers have, they don't know how to market their product and are too cheap to invest in it.

Comment

Has it been confirmed that he is out?

I do agree with previous posts. Kids RB was recruiting and then MK had no idea who they were when they came to visit. His trademark deer in the headlights look. Needless to say after that experience these same players landed up taking slots at BU, PC and Northeastern for 2017...
                          I'm sure you're right. I was talking about kids from class of 2015 and 2016 currently on BU, BC, PC, Northeastern, Colgate rosters. And when is the last time he recruited a kid from Worcester Academy? It's 5 miles away and full of NEFC kids.

Comment

Koolman ourt at HC

Inside scoop at HC. It's about time!!
                            A year later and they are finally looking for a new coach despite getting to the patriot league final hear players went to AD

Comment

A year later and they are finally looking for a new coach despite getting to the patriot league final hear players went to AD
                              And Fred Marks is on the way out.

And Bolts are folding.

This silliness never ends.

Comment

What's the players' main complaint?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X