Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EDP or DPL it's confusing no?

Okay so there is a clear battle of the clubs at the moment. However for parents, not coaches, on this thread. What is the difference between the two? EDP or DPL. I hear they are equal from my soccer coach. But then parents tell me varied things. So if you have a son age 10 with one club who is currently DPL would you leave it for a club that is EDP? if so why? Does it really matter?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Okay so there is a clear battle of the clubs at the moment. However for parents, not coaches, on this thread. What is the difference between the two? EDP or DPL. I hear they are equal from my soccer coach. But then parents tell me varied things. So if you have a son age 10 with one club who is currently DPL would you leave it for a club that is EDP? if so why? Does it really matter?
    DPL and EDP are both existing leagues that will be new in the area. From the looks of it, DPL may be kind of a DA-lite, so maybe comparable to NPL, but I think they're trying to make the case that they're equal to ECNL. I didn't think they had divisions as young as U11 though, so maybe your club is just saying "we're in DPL" as a more general thing and you'll actually be playing in NEP.

EDP has a good reputation nationally, but being new to the region, you never know. The teams announced so far include some smaller clubs of questionable quality, but there's also some info on their website that suggests there may be tiers of competition.

There's uncertainty with both, and plenty of competing information/misinformation on these boards, so it'll probably be really hard to tell what's going on until we're actually into the fall season. Regardless, at 10 years old, you can probably afford a year of uncertainty, as long as you're happy with the team itself and the coaching.

Comment

Thank you for the honest reply. Our son is happy with his club and coach, and yes I think the coach said it is not a concern until they are closer to 13.

Comment

Thank you for the honest reply. Our son is happy with his club and coach, and yes I think the coach said it is not a concern until they are closer to 13.
        While not a concern, the sooner you get in the higher pathway the easier to grow. DPL is basically the better NPL clubs separating from NEP. EDP is trying to muscle in to a region. They have a bunch of lower teams from decent CT clubs, that are mostly third teams. The smaller questionable clubs will be weak competition at the U11-U14 age groups. If you have a choice, go with the DPL club. If you want ECNL then go to MA. Scorpions or Stars. There are a lot of coaches talking up the EDP right now, but if they had a choice their teams would be in DPL. That should be all you need to know.

Comment

I swear the ECNL must pay people to patrol TS.... why the persistence for every statement to be go to the ECNL clubs if you want the highest pathway. OP was asking about a 10yr old boy!?

Honest answer:
          at 10 yrs old - find a club that's close or convenient, that he has friends at (or want to join together) and my only rule would be not coached by a parent of one of the kids... an actual soccer coach. Start there.... not everyone starts at the "top"

Comment

I swear the ECNL must pay people to patrol TS.... why the persistence for every statement to be go to the ECNL clubs if you want the highest pathway. OP was asking about a 10yr old boy!?

Honest answer:
            at 10 yrs old - find a club that's close or convenient, that he has friends at (or want to join together) and my only rule would be not coached by a parent of one of the kids... an actual soccer coach. Start there.... not everyone starts at the "top"
            Too bad more people like you weren't in charge of soccer associations.. add and is focused on development with actual individual metrics and doesn't mention a word about win/loss records..

Comment

VERY TRUE on that statement - I agree and will add!!!

When the coach tells your kid to play "out of the back" and other awkward requests during gameplay (instead of punting 50 miles away), especially at 10 yrs old, UNDERSTAND that it is for the better of your child's development later in soccer life and stay on the sideline and shut the hell up as a parent. It's not about W-L record. You'll understand in a few years.....

Comment

VERY TRUE on that statement - I agree and will add!!!

When the coach tells your kid to play "out of the back" and other awkward requests during gameplay (instead of punting 50 miles away), especially at 10 yrs old, UNDERSTAND that it is for the better of your child's development later in soccer life and stay on the sideline and shut the hell up as a parent. It's not about W-L record. You'll understand in a few years.....
                Just pick a place to play and do it. If you dont know the local landscape by the end of the year (better local teams, coaches, and clubs), then it isnt important to you and just be happy where you are. If he outgrows his team (or it outgrows him), he will get uncomfortable or ask for more (or less) .... then help him to find an alternative. Don't shop because you think you should or you THINK he is the next messi. If he is, they will find him because of his play on the field against them.

Comment

While not a concern, the sooner you get in the higher pathway the easier to grow. DPL is basically the better NPL clubs separating from NEP. EDP is trying to muscle in to a region. They have a bunch of lower teams from decent CT clubs, that are mostly third teams. The smaller questionable clubs will be weak competition at the U11-U14 age groups. If you have a choice, go with the DPL club. If you want ECNL then go to MA. Scorpions or Stars. There are a lot of coaches talking up the EDP right now, but if they had a choice their teams would be in DPL. That should be all you need to know.
                  Not true. The CT clubs all put their top teams in EDP. They have been a part of the EDP North Atlantic Regional League which consisted of a lot of NY and NJ teams. Like everyone they are looking to decrease travel and expenses. The New England version is a new league but a part of a much bigger platform. DPL has some good teams but long term it’s a dead end. Most clubs will eventually migrate to EDP when they have a better understanding of the pathways that are offered.

Comment

Not true. The CT clubs all put their top teams in EDP. They have been a part of the EDP North Atlantic Regional League which consisted of a lot of NY and NJ teams. Like everyone they are looking to decrease travel and expenses. The New England version is a new league but a part of a much bigger platform. DPL has some good teams but long term it’s a dead end. Most clubs will eventually migrate to EDP when they have a better understanding of the pathways that are offered.
                    DPL might br great. Nice tier 2 platform (ecnl #1) to be seen by New England college coaches. Hopes and dreams in the edp platforms are meaningless, too regionally large and zero focus on New England. Most kids if they are blessed to play in college are going to school around here.

Comment

Example. CFC is an ECNL club. Top team--ECNL-National, 2nd team--ECNL-Regional. Third team is best left. Stop with the lies. DPL would have to fold up it's tent for EDP to be better.

Comment

Example. CFC is an ECNL club. Top team--ECNL-National, 2nd team--ECNL-Regional. Third team is best left. Stop with the lies. DPL would have to fold up it's tent for EDP to be better.
                        You make a good point. I was actually not thinking about CFC North because they have been participating in NEP for years. They are actually the second team for CFC. It’s true that CFC now has ECNL 2 (or composite) but that is actually a very diluted group and not strong. The CFC North Branch has been a fixture in NEP and has quite a few MA players because of their location on the border. The other CT clubs that are coming North with the new EDP League (or NECSL) are of the same caliber. I think when RI and MA teams realize the level of play is very good they will elect to join this new league. Right now there is a fear of the unknown. The EDP platform is also far and away better than what DPL can offer and people are going to figure that out quickly.

Comment

You make a good point. I was actually not thinking about CFC North because they have been participating in NEP for years. They are actually the second team for CFC. It’s true that CFC now has ECNL 2 (or composite) but that is actually a very diluted group and not strong. The CFC North Branch has been a fixture in NEP and has quite a few MA players because of their location on the border. The other CT clubs that are coming North with the new EDP League (or NECSL) are of the same caliber. I think when RI and MA teams realize the level of play is very good they will elect to join this new league. Right now there is a fear of the unknown. The EDP platform is also far and away better than what DPL can offer and people are going to figure that out quickly.
                          Hard to figure this logic when when the MA / R.I. clubs only went EDP route when they could not get into DPL. The EDP platform was not enough for them to make it their first choice why is it reasonable to think the accepted DPL clubs would eventually choose EDP over DPL in the future?

Can we just stop with the recruiting nonsense and focus on getting the kids back on the field? Whether it is an ECNL / EDP / GAL / DPL etc field. Stop with the false narratives to get kids to your respective clubs. As a parent I am sick of seeing the desperation that is out there.

Comment

Hard to figure this logic when when the MA / R.I. clubs only went EDP route when they could not get into DPL. The EDP platform was not enough for them to make it their first choice why is it reasonable to think the accepted DPL clubs would eventually choose EDP over DPL in the future?

Can we just stop with the recruiting nonsense and focus on getting the kids back on the field? Whether it is an ECNL / EDP / GAL / DPL etc field. Stop with the false narratives to get kids to your respective clubs. As a parent I am sick of seeing the desperation that is out there.
                            I agree. At this points the teams are forming and the fall (if we play) will bring reality.

Comment

I'd like to point out that DPL is a girls only platform that was created to house the Girls Development Academy second teams... The fact that people are discussing boys on this thread shows how little known it is.

No east coast showcases through DPL. Only showcases they have in place are Atlanta, Dallas and Southern CA.

EDP will have showcases in NJ, CT & MA. Where do you think the opportunities will really lie?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X