• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gal

Who is excited? Someone? Anyone?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    "Excited" isn't the word I'd use.

Ready to accept the status quo. Happy enough before, happy enough now as well as there isn't much of a difference.

Comment

My daughter is happy she can try out for her HS team. I know it's been said on here that the only kids who want to play HS are those being pushed by their parents trying to relive glory days. Shrug. I was a band nerd without "glory days". My kid wants to try, I'm happy that she's happy, as that is what this has always been about for my family.

I imagine those who hate HS soccer and said ECNL teams suffer without a fall season are concerned, but IDK much about that, as my daughter is an incoming freshman and never really had to choose.

Comment

My daughter is happy she can try out for her HS team. I know it's been said on here that the only kids who want to play HS are those being pushed by their parents trying to relive glory days. Shrug. I was a band nerd without "glory days". My kid wants to try, I'm happy that she's happy, as that is what this has always been about for my family.

I imagine those who hate HS soccer and said ECNL teams suffer without a fall season are concerned, but IDK much about that, as my daughter is an incoming freshman and never really had to choose.
        I think it's a fair point and glad there is the option for them. Seems best of both worlds, if there is enough to go around. Mine still doesn't want to play, but I am glad that those who want to can and still likely have a place.

Comment

I know it's been said on here that the only kids who want to play HS are those being pushed by their parents trying to relive glory days. Shrug.
          Meant to add....it's no more the case that parents are pushing their kids to HS to relive glory days anymore than parents pushed their kids to DA because "their little Mia" thinks they are going pro.

Comment

I think it's a fair point and glad there is the option for them. Seems best of both worlds, if there is enough to go around. Mine still doesn't want to play, but I am glad that those who want to can and still likely have a place.
            Not sure you have thought this through. The GAL intends to offer a 10 month season while “allowing” HS play. In practice, that’s pretty difficult for a kid to do. Which does your kid make their priority? In MA, MIAA requires that student athletes make HS sports their priority—kids can’t miss a HS practice or game for a club practice or game. Even if allowed, your kid has to go to either their HS or club coach and tell them that their team is not her priority.

ECNL pauses for the HS season (while providing training for kids that choose not to play HS and typically a Sunday training for teams since that often is the one day off per week for HS). GAL is not doing this. It appears they intend to play the fall season similar to GDA. Never mind IF coaches will allow it, parents shouldn’t. That is a recipe for injury.

Comment

Not sure you have thought this through. The GAL intends to offer a 10 month season while “allowing” HS play. In practice, that’s pretty difficult for a kid to do. Which does your kid make their priority? In MA, MIAA requires that student athletes make HS sports their priority—kids can’t miss a HS practice or game for a club practice or game. Even if allowed, your kid has to go to either their HS or club coach and tell them that their team is not her priority.

ECNL pauses for the HS season (while providing training for kids that choose not to play HS and typically a Sunday training for teams since that often is the one day off per week for HS). GAL is not doing this. It appears they intend to play the fall season similar to GDA. Never mind IF coaches will allow it, parents shouldn’t. That is a recipe for injury.
              Cool 👍🏻

Comment

So, you indicated "appears", so we'll take that with a grain of salt.

If a player is going to play HS, they will be asked to commit to one practice a week with their Club, otherwise HS will be the priority. What GAL will do is keep a consistent practice schedule of 3-4 x per week for those who do not wish to play. As for games, that will be dependent on what the end result of the HS impact is. If 90% of a team is going to play HS, there likely will be minimal (if any) games through the HS season and they will make them up after (i.e. late Fall, potentially in the winter, and a heavy dose in the Spring - same as ECNL does.

So, if you want to prioritize HS, you will be allowed to. NHIAA has to buy into this plan, and so does your HS coach, to even do outside activity. But, to be clear, if there are not enough players for games they will simply hold off.

That is a benefit of how the league is being structured, based on what works for teams and individual regions to be flexible for their customer's needs.

Comment

Be sure you know your club's policy on HS before you go all-in. Here is an example of one GAL club's policy and there were rumors that the entire conference was looking to adopt the same policy to promote consistency.

STA HS Policy

• STA does not advocate HS play
                  • STA will always take priority
                  • HS Coach has to agree to let STA dictate availability
                  • Full time players take precedence over HS players for games – if any STA event is missed that week
                  • Players may not play HS and GA games within 24 hrs
                  • No HS player can train more than 4 times per week (2 minimum with STA)
                  • STA events take priority when mandated
                  • Any player not training with STA cannot train with HS unless permitted by club
                  • Any injured player must not train with HS
                  • STA requires 48hrs notice for changes to HS schedules
                  • HS players must attend double header games away
                  • No HS player can miss Regional/National Showcase events

Comment

Unless you live in New Jersey, I wouldn't concern myself with STA's policy and it will not be universal for the entire conference. If you are part of the local GAL team, or considering it, I would encourage you to follow the details presented by that club. They are open to review anything with you.

Do not buy into rumors and instead speak with your club (or prospective club) directly.

Comment

Unless you live in New Jersey, I wouldn't concern myself with STA's policy and it will not be universal for the entire conference. If you are part of the local GAL team, or considering it, I would encourage you to follow the details presented by that club. They are open to review anything with you.

Do not buy into rumors and instead speak with your club (or prospective club) directly.
                      So you are saying that if seacoast has 90% of kids that are playing high school, they will just avoid scheduling fall games with clubs like STA that is discouraging HS? How will that work? Those other clubs will just bend on that and say— “sure—we will just drive up to NH whenever you are ready for us”. What one team does affects the others in the conference. You may not live in NJ, but you’re playing those teams. Not sure how one conference can operate under different policies when they need to schedule games against one another.

Forget the parents—if you’re statement is true then the people running the league haven’t even thought this through. Good luck.

Comment

So you are saying that if seacoast has 90% of kids that are playing high school, they will just avoid scheduling fall games with clubs like STA that is discouraging HS? How will that work? Those other clubs will just bend on that and say— “sure—we will just drive up to NH whenever you are ready for us”. What one team does affects the others in the conference. You may not live in NJ, but you’re playing those teams. Not sure how one conference can operate under different policies when they need to schedule games against one another.

Forget the parents—if you’re statement is true then the people running the league haven’t even thought this through. Good luck.
                        *your

Autocorrect

Comment

Well, I did start the post by recommending folks check with the club about HS policy. And BTW, STA plays in the NE Conference...it has nothing to do with living in NJ.

Comment

Oakwood, per CT law, can’t play club & HS in same season.
                            STA- No HS.

Comment

Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying. They will schedule games each can accomodate them. Say, for example, SSS has no HS issue nor does STA, they will get their games in during the fall. If Seacoast does have an issue, they will play them later. Same as what ECNL does.

The end result is to play X number of games against the teams in your conference. When those games are played is completely flexible.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X