Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Ownership has injected millions into their Youth Academy and subsidized it for selections, maybe your are confusing them with local neighborhood soccer that has parents pay for their kids and also cover the other kids who can't afford it...errrr scholarship.
    Injected millions? Are you high? The only money the Timbers have put into the Thornz Asylum is whatever money they could steal from OYSA clubs via league and state cup "fees".

Comment

OYSA silver is right. Then they lose to the Super Kickers rec team in the presidents cup semi-finals.
      Thorns Academy would do pretty well in OYSA silver. The kids deserve to get a few wins.

Comment

I get the anger at the Thorns about the recruitment process and I agree that the older teams may not be the best, but I think that the younger teams have a chance to be really good and wherever they end up playing I am glad they will play against other Oregon teams and finally settle the discussion whether they are worse or better. Time will tell.

Comment

I get the anger at the Thorns about the recruitment process and I agree that the older teams may not be the best, but I think that the younger teams have a chance to be really good and wherever they end up playing I am glad they will play against other Oregon teams and finally settle the discussion whether they are worse or better. Time will tell.
          I think the younger teams had some good success in GDA, and I understand your optimism. However, you are missing the enormous elephant in the room. Those teams have players from all over the state. Will those families continue to drive to Portland to play in OYSA, when there are neighborhood clubs nearby doing the same? Will the neighborhood clubs compete to get them back by offering them opportunities to play up on older age teams that may be more successful than their on age team, participate in extra trainings, etc? Will families decide if they're going to drive to Portland and spend what looks like a ton of money anyway, they may as well do it on one of the two established ECNL clubs?

It sounds like you know the younger GDA teams better than I do. So ask yourself how successful they will be if they lose the players from Bend and Eugene and Salem and other points outside the Portland/Vancouver area? And how many of the Portland/Vancouver players will stick around for OYSA when ECNL opportunities are just as close of a drive, and their teams are decimated by the out of towners leaving?

This is uncharted territory for all soccer parents. But I can't imagine any scenario where a family - even a family on one of the more successful Thorns teams - would think it was a good idea to stay on that team. I think it's over for all the teams.

Comment

I think the younger teams had some good success in GDA, and I understand your optimism. However, you are missing the enormous elephant in the room. Those teams have players from all over the state. Will those families continue to drive to Portland to play in OYSA, when there are neighborhood clubs nearby doing the same? Will the neighborhood clubs compete to get them back by offering them opportunities to play up on older age teams that may be more successful than their on age team, participate in extra trainings, etc? Will families decide if they're going to drive to Portland and spend what looks like a ton of money anyway, they may as well do it on one of the two established ECNL clubs?

It sounds like you know the younger GDA teams better than I do. So ask yourself how successful they will be if they lose the players from Bend and Eugene and Salem and other points outside the Portland/Vancouver area? And how many of the Portland/Vancouver players will stick around for OYSA when ECNL opportunities are just as close of a drive, and their teams are decimated by the out of towners leaving?

This is uncharted territory for all soccer parents. But I can't imagine any scenario where a family - even a family on one of the more successful Thorns teams - would think it was a good idea to stay on that team. I think it's over for all the teams.
            The OP makes it sound like these players really do come from around the state and they're made up of the best of the best. It's just not true right now at the younger ages. There are plenty of kids at 05 and 06 who specifically chose not to go to the Thorns, or went to the Thorns and migrated back to ECNL.

Comment

The OP makes it sound like these players really do come from around the state and they're made up of the best of the best. It's just not true right now at the younger ages. There are plenty of kids at 05 and 06 who specifically chose not to go to the Thorns, or went to the Thorns and migrated back to ECNL.
              This now all hinges on whether or not the Thorns Academy is accepted into ECNL. If they get in, those teams will stay intact. If they don’t, the top players will all look to get into the FC Portland or Crossfire United ECNL programs. None of those top Thorns players are going to stick around to play OYSA.

Comment

They were accepted in GAL and will be playing in the NW Division. Check out the last tweet from GAL.

Comment

They were accepted in GAL and will be playing in the NW Division. Check out the last tweet from GAL.
                  I would love to see their team list, but I don't see it yet. Wondering what level the teams will be at.

Comment

This will be a second tier league and option to ECNL. The GDA was supposed to be a better option and it failed. I am interested in hearing why this will be successful?

Comment

ECNL could pluck about 5 teams out of GAL right now and it will never get off the ground.

With limited recruiting budget for colleges now, if they had to choose between 2 or 3 showcases, where do you think they will go, an ECNL event or a GAL event?

Comment

ECNL could pluck about 5 teams out of GAL right now and it will never get off the ground.

With limited recruiting budget for colleges now, if they had to choose between 2 or 3 showcases, where do you think they will go, an ECNL event or a GAL event?
                        I'

based on appearances this league looks like a much higher bar to get in then the US club take everyone who can afford it league for girls

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club...s-faq_aid48020

Comment

I'

based on appearances this league looks like a much higher bar to get in then the US club take everyone who can afford it league for girls

Top 25 Rankings. GAL for the win!

1. Tophat - GAL
                          2. Solar - ECNL
                          3. PDA - ECNL
                          4. So Cal Blues - ECNL
                          5. FC Dallas – ECNL
                          6 San Diego Surf - ECNL
                          7. Real Colorado - ECNL
                          8. Legends FC - ECNL-RL
                          9. Beach FC - ECNL-RL
                          10. San Jose Earthquakes - TBD
                          11. Concorde Fire - ECNL
                          12. Michigan Hawks - ECNL
                          13. MVLA - ECNL
                          14. LAFC Slammers - ECNL
                          15. NC Courage - ECNL
                          16. FC Virginia - GAL
                          17. San Juan SC - ECNL
                          18. SLSG (MO) - ECNL
                          19. Mustang SC - ECNL
                          20. Eclipse SC - ECNL
                          21. Sting SC - ECNL
                          22. Real So Cal - ECNL
                          23. Ohio Premier - ECNL
                          24. Crossfire Premier - ECNL
                          25. NEFC - GAL

Comment

This will be a second tier league and option to ECNL. The GDA was supposed to be a better option and it failed. I am interested in hearing why this will be successful?
                            There is no chance for it to compete with ECNL. The new league is being created for lesser GDA clubs to have somewhere to land because they aren’t getting into the ECNL.

Comment

People say that GDA would have taken down ECNL if the High School rule was eliminated. Well here is there chance.

GAL>ECNL

Comment

I'

Well that’s not true or all the clubs who applied to ECNL would be in. If GAL was the end all be all top league why did any former DA club bother to get into ECNL?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X