Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The coronavirus might bring the small clubs back to the forefront

With so many parents being out of work, the smaller clubs that have no mandatory trainer fees at the club level like Manorville and Ronkonkoma might see a surge of players and entire teams looking to join them in the fall. A little over $100 a season for registration and under $100 uniform kits is going to look real attractive to a lot of people.

I think people will start finding values in their community again after this so hope this is true.

Comment

Certainly those who took an economic hit will be reevaluating their spending out of necessity. Others who have had time to reflect on what's important to their families may not be eager to jump back in to a fast paced life again. There will be team and club and possibly even league consolidation. Some clubs will close shop. There's definitely a sweet spot for clubs that can offer solid training at an affordable price, not a lot of travel. Maybe for once consumers will be driving changes instead of leagues and clubs telling everyone what to do

Comment

Can town teams regain a foothold on the soccer landscape? Yeah, I’m sure they can but they need to address the one fundamental problem that they have. Will they be able to support the 10-20% of competitor players and their families in the program that want more then intramural ball.

Town teams have issues with player commitments. Without debating it’s merits, your going to have multi sport kids that can’t make every practice/game. One of the big draws with the privates is that, for the most part, those kids are focused on soccer as their primary sport if choice. Until town teams can offer competitive teams without offending their membership, club soccer will thrive.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          Can town teams regain a foothold on the soccer landscape? Yeah, I’m sure they can but they need to address the one fundamental problem that they have. Will they be able to support the 10-20% of competitor players and their families in the program that want more then intramural ball.

Town teams have issues with player commitments. Without debating it’s merits, your going to have multi sport kids that can’t make every practice/game. One of the big draws with the privates is that, for the most part, those kids are focused on soccer as their primary sport if choice. Until town teams can offer competitive teams without offending their membership, club soccer will thrive.
          The SUSA's of the worlds will always have their A teams and probably their B teams. I question them still having their C and D teams because there just won't be enough people with the money to spend thousands of dollars a year on what is in reality intermediate level soccer.

Comment

The SUSA's of the worlds will always have their A teams and probably their B teams. I question them still having their C and D teams because there just won't be enough people with the money to spend thousands of dollars a year on what is in reality intermediate level soccer.
            Maybe, maybe not. I covered the financial crisis of 2008 for a financial publication, two areas that were barely affected were programs & products that serviced kids and pets. Statistics showed most parents will make sacrifices on their own end (travel, entertainment, clothing, big ticket items) before they disrupt the kids. But, if the kid is indifferent as to where they play, then you may see a shift.

Comment

I think people will start finding values in their community again after this so hope this is true.
              This is exactly wrong. People are finding out "their community" can be very harmful. They spread disease. WE are practicing social distancing so as to distance ourselves from our community for our safety. People are likely to be less inclined to find value in their community, not more.

Comment

This is exactly wrong. People are finding out "their community" can be very harmful. They spread disease. WE are practicing social distancing so as to distance ourselves from our community for our safety. People are likely to be less inclined to find value in their community, not more.
                I think people want a sense of "normal" back. Soccer, for a lot of families, is social too-parents want to get back with their sideline buddies almost as much as kids want to get back on the field.

Comment

I think people want a sense of "normal" back. Soccer, for a lot of families, is social too-parents want to get back with their sideline buddies almost as much as kids want to get back on the field.
                  I can live without interacting with other parents; most are clueless annoyances anyway. I do miss watching my kid play, hell watching anyone play.

Comment

Maybe, maybe not. I covered the financial crisis of 2008 for a financial publication, two areas that were barely affected were programs & products that serviced kids and pets. Statistics showed most parents will make sacrifices on their own end (travel, entertainment, clothing, big ticket items) before they disrupt the kids. But, if the kid is indifferent as to where they play, then you may see a shift.
                    A lot more people are out of work right now compared to the crash in 2008.

Comment

The coronavirus might bring the small clubs back to the forefront

I can live without interacting with other parents; most are clueless annoyances anyway. I do miss watching my kid play, hell watching anyone play.
                      answer to your problem: PLAY WITH YOUR KIDS!!!! someday you will not be able to.

Comment

A lot more people are out of work right now compared to the crash in 2008.
                        Not even close. In October of 2008, a month or so after the Lehman Collapse, the unemployment rate was close to 7%. We're about a month into the Covid-19 Pandemic and the unemployment rate for March was 4.4%. That's not to say that the number won't grow, after the 2008 financial collapse, the unemployment # didn't peak until a year later (October 2009) at around 10%. Don't think it will hit the same #'s as 2009, as the summer months roll in, many that are out of work because of social distancing measures will return to those jobs barring any gross missteps of the pending stimulus programs.

Comment

Not even close. In October of 2008, a month or so after the Lehman Collapse, the unemployment rate was close to 7%. We're about a month into the Covid-19 Pandemic and the unemployment rate for March was 4.4%. That's not to say that the number won't grow, after the 2008 financial collapse, the unemployment # didn't peak until a year later (October 2009) at around 10%. Don't think it will hit the same #'s as 2009, as the summer months roll in, many that are out of work because of social distancing measures will return to those jobs barring any gross missteps of the pending stimulus programs.
                          Unemployment figures lag - last week alone 6M applied for assistance on top of 3M the week before - and that was before many more states enacted distancing measures. The ripple effects are only just starting and it will only get worse. Also, Trump thinks May 1 we can flip the switch and everything will just bounce right back. Restarting the economy doesn't work that way + there will waves going across the country that will hinder growth.

Comment

If the economy takes a long time to correct, certainly town teams or school ball becomes more important. Top clubs will still be important for the real top players but there may be some consolidation. Alternatively, I can see top clubs looking to contain some costs and perhaps leagues coming together (a good thing) so we're not traveling past great teams just to play some other team in our league 3 hours away.

Comment

If the economy takes a long time to correct, certainly town teams or school ball becomes more important. Top clubs will still be important for the real top players but there may be some consolidation. Alternatively, I can see top clubs looking to contain some costs and perhaps leagues coming together (a good thing) so we're not traveling past great teams just to play some other team in our league 3 hours away.
                              The absolutely best thing that USSF could do right now is to force the consolidation of all the soccer entities so that we had a singular top-to-bottom soccer league with promotion/relegation throughout at the team level. No more separate US Club/USYSA/AYSO/etc nonsense. They are all forced to follow the modified FIFA rules anyhow so it's not like any of these leagues offer any real advantage over any other of them outside a few of them playing more fast and loose with roster requirements than others.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X