Superliga failing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about the out of state kids that play for RI towns instead of playing for their own towns? If your Town has a Team in Superliga you should have to play for them, weather RI Town or not. Check out how many in Pawtucket and E.P. have kids from Mass.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      How about the out of state kids that play for RI towns instead of playing for their own towns? If your Town has a Team in Superliga you should have to play for them, weather RI Town or not. Check out how many in Pawtucket and E.P. have kids from Mass.
      Yup, agreed. Crazy the extent some coaches go to for the win. I know they try and justify it in there mind but the reality is, these are very poor ethics, even worse that it involves children.

Comment

There aren't too many Mass. towns teams in Super Liga that I've seen. However, I honestly have no idea how many Massachusetts kids play for Pawtucket and EP. Do you have numbers?

I can see plenty of legit reasons why a kid might not play for their own town, like no team at the appropriate age/bracket or wanting to play with friends/family in another town, etc. The question is how do you limit abuses of the system?

What was wrong with the "3-town limit" types of rules that used to be in place?

Comment

There aren't too many Mass. towns teams in Super Liga that I've seen. However, I honestly have no idea how many Massachusetts kids play for Pawtucket and EP. Do you have numbers?

I can see plenty of legit reasons why a kid might not play for their own town, like no team at the appropriate age/bracket or wanting to play with friends/family in another town, etc. The question is how do you limit abuses of the system?

What was wrong with the "3-town limit" types of rules that used to be in place?
          I can tell you that town travel leagues in MA like SCSL, which covers Seekonk to the Cape and Islands limits out-of-town players to no more than 25% of a roster and requires waivers be signed off by the town where the player resides. Also, if you submit a roster to MTOC’s that doesn’t meet the 75/25 rule, you will be disqualified. Not sure if RI has similar rukes in it’s leagues, but it allows for those cases where kids want to play with their friends, even if they aren’t in the same town while preventing teams from stacking top players just to win.

Comment

I can tell you that town travel leagues in MA like SCSL, which covers Seekonk to the Cape and Islands limits out-of-town players to no more than 25% of a roster and requires waivers be signed off by the town where the player resides. Also, if you submit a roster to MTOC’s that doesn’t meet the 75/25 rule, you will be disqualified. Not sure if RI has similar rukes in it’s leagues, but it allows for those cases where kids want to play with their friends, even if they aren’t in the same town while preventing teams from stacking top players just to win.
            Honestly I don't care if players jump towns because sometimes a town only has one coach per age group and that coach and the child are a poor fit. Or the team is a poor fit or like you said your child wants to play on a team with cousins or friends from another town. No problem
            The problem IS when all the same players from the same club end up on a "town team." That is a stacked team. That is a team that now practices together for club and town 3-4 days a week. They also play club games and town games as well as club and town tournaments. That "town team" is really a club team That IS a problem and ruining youth soccer. Limit the number of club players from the same town team to 3.

Comment

Not saying you’re right or wrong, but think of it from another side: suppose a whole team/group of kids/parents from a town just really like soccer, and they all send their kids together to the nearest club. Have they just ruined town soccer for everyone? If you say yes, then why? Do we even know that they’re any good?

How is it different, at the end of the day, from the town that hires professional coaches and plays 3 seasons?

Comment

Not saying you’re right or wrong, but think of it from another side: suppose a whole team/group of kids/parents from a town just really like soccer, and they all send their kids together to the nearest club. Have they just ruined town soccer for everyone? If you say yes, then why? Do we even know that they’re any good?

How is it different, at the end of the day, from the town that hires professional coaches and plays 3 seasons?
                Which brings us back to the idea of another “elite level.” If there is another level above anchor called “elite” in which these club “town” teams could participate then everyone would know and no sandbagging. Youth soccer even competitive is created to develop players from towns and to create community. When you have an already established team playing a newer travel team which does happen, the club team often blows the travel team out of the water. The town teams often practice 1-2 times a week if they don’t get rained out. The clubs are year round with facilities and many futsal opportunities to develop. So now you stick a town travel team in a game against a year round fancy club team with players practicing together all of the time... I think you can imagine that the defeated town players who do not have the money for club end up quitting. Super Liga needs to help this situation by preventing fake town (club teams) from sandbagging.

Comment

I don’t think the coaches that are hired for town soccer are any better than some of the moms and dads I’ve seen.

Comment

Which brings us back to the idea of another “elite level.” If there is another level above anchor called “elite” in which these club “town” teams could participate then everyone would know and no sandbagging. Youth soccer even competitive is created to develop players from towns and to create community. When you have an already established team playing a newer travel team which does happen, the club team often blows the travel team out of the water. The town teams often practice 1-2 times a week if they don’t get rained out. The clubs are year round with facilities and many futsal opportunities to develop.
                    Be aware that are already town teams practicing 2-3 times a week and offering turf or futsal training all winter. Many bigger town programs require a 3-season commitment. Some of these "serious" town teams are beating so-called "club" teams in Super Liga.

So now you stick a town travel team in a game against a year round fancy club team with players practicing together all of the time... I think you can imagine that the defeated town players who do not have the money for club end up quitting. Super Liga needs to help this situation by preventing fake town (club teams) from sandbagging.
                    Serious question: did that "defeated" team have to be playing in Anchor?

Comment

Be aware that are already town teams practicing 2-3 times a week and offering turf or futsal training all winter. Many bigger town programs require a 3-season commitment. Some of these "serious" town teams are beating so-called "club" teams in Super Liga.

Serious question: did that "defeated" team have to be playing in Anchor?
                      More like did that club team have to play in Rhody? ***? Don’t put a club team in a level C group? That happened. And yes the competitive travel teams should be able to play anchor without going up against club teams. I’ve seen it all at this point with boys and girls all ages. Over it.

Comment

Sandbagging in Rhody isn’t limited to “club” teams. (Actually I’ve never seen seen a pure club team in Rhody but would be interested in hearing about examples.) I agree that any teams obviously sandbagging in Rhody or anywhere else need to be dealt with.

I can think of a specific “club” team or near-club that was losing badly in a classic division. They definitely wouldn't have belonged in anchor, let alone some elite division.

Comment

Nice to see superliga have taken the time to address the masses about the upcoming season. While leagues around the country make announcements ODL is counting his pennies as usual.

Comment

Soccer in the us is failing not just Superliga. It’s a problem in this country but not just the clubs and pay to play, it’s the birth year rule, the lack of player development, the politics...See article....

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/sd-sp-us-soccer-pay-to-play-u20s-20180814-story.html

Comment

Can someone explain how it is appropriate for the Superliga to allow coaches who work as a premier soccer coach in the league?, some even are directors and presidents of some of the organizations that work for a club. Why not set rules and standards to protect the league and its purpose?

Comment

who ever runs the Superliga is a cowboy

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X