Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    But at what point is a W just a D that has arrived late? Can you really see the difference between those letters. It you look at a d an w that are 1 meter high from space they look like dots. I don’t know any astronomer who can see the difference.
    But I have a strong preference for W.

Comment

And you are talking out of the side of your mouth. YOU, don’t know any coach who looks at a player that way? What is your expertise and experience with Soccer? In my experience I have seen/heard parents like you on the sidelines measuring up top players on the pitch who have either been to the NTC, the National pool camps or even NT players and saying that they were not so special. College coaches have there own prototype players they want for their programs. One thing they all have in common is they begin with athleticism, speed, quickness. That is everyone’s foundation. There is nothing relative or gray about that.

"One thing they all have in common is they begin with athleticism, speed, quickness. That is everyone’s foundation."

Really? and you know this because? So in theory every top team should be filled with players like that. They aren't.

Comment

"One thing they all have in common is they begin with athleticism, speed, quickness. That is everyone’s foundation."

Really? and you know this because? So in theory every top team should be filled with players like that. They aren't.
        Because that is what top college coaches have said at every camp/clinic my daughters have attended and coaches have acknowledged these as the foundation of there teams. Why do you doubt this? Forget about theory, in reality the best players with this foundation get recruited by the top soccer colleges in the country. Did you watch the women’s D1 NCAA tournament? If so you watched teams with every player like that. In fact most of those players because of their athleticism are interchangeable and can play any ield position at a very high level. That is no theory but fact.

Comment

I agree with that opinion, you cannot teach speed, as in breakaway speed, you can teach a player to be quicker, to be smarter, to be tougher, my daughter as an example, she had all the skills to play in the college, and was noticed, and was offered a 3/4 scholarship to a good A10 school, but in the end she simply was not as fast as some of the girls she has played against, and that would of hampered her in college. She compensated in several ways, by being in the right spot, by being strong on the ball, by being intimidating in the middle, by being a great passer to her midfield and wings, but there were times when a good and smarter player would get around her, and I know this frustrated her more than anything, such is life, glad we are done...

Comment

I agree with that opinion, you cannot teach speed, as in breakaway speed, you can teach a player to be quicker, to be smarter, to be tougher, my daughter as an example, she had all the skills to play in the college, and was noticed, and was offered a 3/4 scholarship to a good A10 school, but in the end she simply was not as fast as some of the girls she has played against, and that would of hampered her in college. She compensated in several ways, by being in the right spot, by being strong on the ball, by being intimidating in the middle, by being a great passer to her midfield and wings, but there were times when a good and smarter player would get around her, and I know this frustrated her more than anything, such is life, glad we are done...
            My D had the opposite happen to her. She is very fast and quick, skilled, good vision, etc. But was told by many college coaches that she wasn't big/strong enough for their programs, that they worried that she'd get pushed off the ball too easily.

Comment

My D had the opposite happen to her. She is very fast and quick, skilled, good vision, etc. But was told by many college coaches that she wasn't big/strong enough for their programs, that they worried that she'd get pushed off the ball too easily.
              Yep, there you go, the grass is brown on both sides!!

Comment

What position does she play??

Comment

What position does she play??
                  She mostly plays AM on her club team, although the coach uses her at outside mid/forward frequently. She was presenting herself to colleges as AM.

Comment

She mostly plays AM on her club team, although the coach uses her at outside mid/forward frequently. She was presenting herself to colleges as AM.
                    Thought so, as a fast forward (who scores lost of goals) is usually given a pass, as far as size/strength goes, but as a midfielder, not so much. IMO a MF has to be able to scrap with all sizes/shapes to win the ball back for her team, and be able to shield and protect the ball from bigger players, its just the nature of the position, even as an attacking player, she has to be able to fall-back and defend with strength when the ball is lost, maybe move her to wing, where her speed can contribute to goals???

Comment

Thought so, as a fast forward (who scores lost of goals) is usually given a pass, as far as size/strength goes, but as a midfielder, not so much. IMO a MF has to be able to scrap with all sizes/shapes to win the ball back for her team, and be able to shield and protect the ball from bigger players, its just the nature of the position, even as an attacking player, she has to be able to fall-back and defend with strength when the ball is lost, maybe move her to wing, where her speed can contribute to goals???
                      She is more quick than fast, and that has allowed her to be successful in the middle despite her lack of size/strength (ie. quick enough to escape from contact or win 50/50s). And as much as I'd love to say she would benefit from a move to wing/flanker, she is definitely a better inside midfielder than she is at those position. And in any case, she is committed to a strong D3 program so her coach next year will decide where she can contribute the most.

It was interesting to see, though. At one ID clinic (where parents were allowed to watch), she had some great battles in the middle with another player who was bigger/stronger but not as quick. And as objectively as I can be as a parent, I think D won more of those battles. But when meeting with the coach after the clinic, the coach mentioned the lack of size/worry of getting knocked off the ball, and while he ranked her high, she did not get an offer. One player who ultimately did get an offer was that other inside mid player whom I felt my D bested (and at a minimum was completely on-par with). So definitely an example of a coach preferring size/strength over speed/quickness.

Comment

She is more quick than fast, and that has allowed her to be successful in the middle despite her lack of size/strength (ie. quick enough to escape from contact or win 50/50s). And as much as I'd love to say she would benefit from a move to wing/flanker, she is definitely a better inside midfielder than she is at those position. And in any case, she is committed to a strong D3 program so her coach next year will decide where she can contribute the most.

It was interesting to see, though. At one ID clinic (where parents were allowed to watch), she had some great battles in the middle with another player who was bigger/stronger but not as quick. And as objectively as I can be as a parent, I think D won more of those battles. But when meeting with the coach after the clinic, the coach mentioned the lack of size/worry of getting knocked off the ball, and while he ranked her high, she did not get an offer. One player who ultimately did get an offer was that other inside mid player whom I felt my D bested (and at a minimum was completely on-par with). So definitely an example of a coach preferring size/strength over speed/quickness.
                        Honestly dude, hard to say what a particular coach wants, perhaps he moves that player to defender once she gets to college, glad your daughter has found a spot, best of luck to her!

Comment

Honestly dude, hard to say what a particular coach wants, perhaps he moves that player to defender once she gets to college, glad your daughter has found a spot, best of luck to her!
                          Thanks!

Comment

Are you saying that you can’t tell when a player is fast? Or skilled? Etc? Are you saying that it’s impossible to categorize players by types?
                            Johann Cruyff: What is speed? The sports press often confuses speed with insight. See, if I start running slightly earlier than someone else, I seem faster.

Comment

Johann Cruyff: What is speed? The sports press often confuses speed with insight. See, if I start running slightly earlier than someone else, I seem faster.
                              So you are saying that you are a member of the sports press?

Comment

So you are saying that you are a member of the sports press?
                                I am saying it is hard to really categorize fast/slow. You can line kids up and have them sprint and see who is fast in a foot race but that doesnt mean that player is fast in a game situation. Likewise a slower player may appear fast in a game because they react well, position better or predict whats going to happen more accurately.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X