When Are ODP Results?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some of what is being posted here is true. But some is exaggerated. And what's happening on the boys side is different from the girls side. In general, it's true that not all the top premier players participate in odp. But, at the regional level, all of the players who make a regional roster are very good. Maybe there are some top players missing, but those who are there are very talented players.

My advice would be - try it. If you can afford the extra money then do it. If your kid is good enough to make a regional roster then he or she will have a great experience at the inter regional tournament or the national camp or an international tournament.

It's all relative too. A player from a small mediocre club team might find the Rider tournament a great challenge and a lot of fun. It depends on where you're coming from.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Some of what is being posted here is true. But some is exaggerated. And what's happening on the boys side is different from the girls side. In general, it's true that not all the top premier players participate in odp. But, at the regional level, all of the players who make a regional roster are very good. Maybe there are some top players missing, but those who are there are very talented players.

My advice would be - try it. If you can afford the extra money then do it. If your kid is good enough to make a regional roster then he or she will have a great experience at the inter regional tournament or the national camp or an international tournament.

It's all relative too. A player from a small mediocre club team might find the Rider tournament a great challenge and a lot of fun. It depends on where you're coming from.
      You still might find decent players from Regions 3 and 4 but that's because of the warm weather States that encompass those regions. BTW, the Mass ODP coaches are very well known and I can tell you they are generally from small mom and pop clubs in the area who are also looking to boost their own club numbers through their involvement with Mass ODP.
      It can be "fun" for your kid yes, but a college ID vehicle? Definitely not anymore, and hasn't been so for years. Mulliner and Scarpacci are the only USSF A licenses in the program, and a USSF license is not exactly UEFA. The others are not much more than town coaches, in fact, a lot of them are!!

Comment

You still might find decent players from Regions 3 and 4 but that's because of the warm weather States that encompass those regions. BTW, the Mass ODP coaches are very well known and I can tell you they are generally from small mom and pop clubs in the area who are also looking to boost their own club numbers through their involvement with Mass ODP.
        It can be "fun" for your kid yes, but a college ID vehicle? Definitely not anymore, and hasn't been so for years. Mulliner and Scarpacci are the only USSF A licenses in the program, and a USSF license is not exactly UEFA. The others are not much more than town coaches, in fact, a lot of them are!!
        ODP on the girls side died in 2009(ECNL).Boys program collapsed in 2007-2008 (USSDA).2013 introduced USCS ID2 (boys) and PDP (girls). Add the multiple NTC's across the country held monthly in all four regions and voila, the demise of ODP. But, if you are looking for "fun" then go ahead have "fun". I have no time for that. Been through it.

Comment

ODP on the girls side died in 2009(ECNL).Boys program collapsed in 2007-2008 (USSDA).2013 introduced USCS ID2 (boys) and PDP (girls). Add the multiple NTC's across the country held monthly in all four regions and voila, the demise of ODP. But, if you are looking for "fun" then go ahead have "fun". I have no time for that. Been through it.
          Get over yourself buddy. You are not curing cancer coach.

Comment

Wrong again pilgrim. 9 "A" license coaches on staff. 10 college coaches WPI,Dartmouth, snh to name a few and at least 4 region 1 staff coaches.
            Many of the new coaches are licensed by the new curriculum that went into affect this year that requires way more hours and training.

Breakers,Rush ,seacoast ,nefc represented to name a few more so called town coaches

Comment

Wrong again pilgrim. 9 "A" license coaches on staff. 10 college coaches WPI,Dartmouth, snh to name a few and at least 4 region 1 staff coaches.
              Many of the new coaches are licensed by the new curriculum that went into affect this year that requires way more hours and training.

Breakers,Rush ,seacoast ,nefc represented to name a few more so called town coaches
              It's good to see some credible information presented here. It sounds like there is a qualified coaching staff established. I saw some of the 2004 boys at the tryouts and many of them were highly skilled (not all). The tryout process is not infallible, so there will likely be a few players that don't belong included, but for the most part it should be a strong training group. The facilities are excellent (30 minutes from my house) and the cost is reasonable.

It doesn't sound like a "colossal waste of time" to me.

Comment

It's good to see some credible information presented here. It sounds like there is a qualified coaching staff established. I saw some of the 2004 boys at the tryouts and many of them were highly skilled (not all). The tryout process is not infallible, so there will likely be a few players that don't belong included, but for the most part it should be a strong training group. The facilities are excellent (30 minutes from my house) and the cost is reasonable.

It doesn't sound like a "colossal waste of time" to me.
                Hahahahaha!!! Go ahead and take part, then get back to us. You've been warned!!!

Comment

Hahahahaha!!! Go ahead and take part, then get back to us. You've been warned!!!
                  Are you the surgeon general of soccer?

Comment

I can confidently say that this is one of those exaggerations someone noted above. In this day and age it is not like talent is hanging around undiscovered for years and years. The talent is really not any "better" in those programs simply because most of what you find is the same kids are getting picked for all of them. What I think everyone should understand is what the national team and high level college programs are looking for are really what you would call the consensus "IT" players that get chosen multiple times from all of them.

There are two advantages to ODP. First it starts the earliest of the id programs which tends to put the players it identifies at the top of the list for the other programs. Second, it still is the only program your player can do without belonging to one of the country club leagues and then having to rely on some coach "recommending" them to the program. Having been around club soccer for roughly 15 years now, I can safely say that the politics in the USCS world are not any better than the politics in the USYSA world were.

I have had experience with both the good and the bad aspects of ODP. One kid couldn't get the time of day from it and got royally jerked around at the state level by both the Mass and RI programs, the other has ridden it to the National Team and obviously has had a much different experience. The thing that I can safely say is that participating in any of the id programs is not about punching some ticket simply by showing up. The primary issue with ALL of the id programs is whether or not your child has that real talent that ALL of them are looking for. If they do, good things happen, if they don't it just becomes one big suck of time, money and emotion.

I am a proponent of the "try it with limits" mindset. I recommend that everyone should have their child tryout out for ODP as soon as they allow to see two things. One, how their child stacks ups in a much bigger picture and two, how their child (and you) likes being totally immersed in soccer. Those two tidbits of information can really help govern where your family goes with club soccer. After two years you will basically know all that you need to know and can either quit or continue as the situation dictates.

Comment

Are you the surgeon general of soccer?
                      I don't think he/she is professing to be so. Some of us have many years of experience with multiple kids going through different programs. You can take or leave our advice, but don't assume that since some of our comments aren't positive about ODP that we have some sort of agenda. Personally, I could care less and was just trying to offer up some of my experience. Again, take it or leave it but stop deluding yourself by thinking that ODP is the answer to everything and getting mad when others aren't drinking the Kool Aid like you are.

Comment

Originally posted by beentheredonethat View Post
                        I can confidently say that this is one of those exaggerations someone noted above. In this day and age it is not like talent is hanging around undiscovered for years and years. The talent is really not any "better" in those programs simply because most of what you find is the same kids are getting picked for all of them. What I think everyone should understand is what the national team and high level college programs are looking for are really what you would call the consensus "IT" players that get chosen multiple times from all of them.

There are two advantages to ODP. First it starts the earliest of the id programs which tends to put the players it identifies at the top of the list for the other programs. Second, it still is the only program your player can do without belonging to one of the country club leagues and then having to rely on some coach "recommending" them to the program. Having been around club soccer for roughly 15 years now, I can safely say that the politics in the USCS world are not any better than the politics in the USYSA world were.

I have had experience with both the good and the bad aspects of ODP. One kid couldn't get the time of day from it and got royally jerked around at the state level by both the Mass and RI programs, the other has ridden it to the National Team and obviously has had a much different experience. The thing that I can safely say is that participating in any of the id programs is not about punching some ticket simply by showing up. The primary issue with ALL of the id programs is whether or not your child has that real talent that ALL of them are looking for. If they do, good things happen, if they don't it just becomes one big suck of time, money and emotion.

I am a proponent of the "try it with limits" mindset. I recommend that everyone should have their child tryout out for ODP as soon as they allow to see two things. One, how their child stacks ups in a much bigger picture and two, how their child (and you) likes being totally immersed in soccer. Those two tidbits of information can really help govern where your family goes with club soccer. After two years you will basically know all that you need to know and can either quit or continue as the situation dictates.
                        Great post.

Comment

Totally agree. By the way the ECNL has not cornered the market on the best kids. NEFC has 3 kids on the region 1 girls 00 team. They won the first game 5-0 over the west coast Region IV on Monday. No none of my kids are is of the 2, (one MA and one RI) attacking players scoring 3 of the 5 goals. There were 40-50 college coaches and 4 USSF scouts at the first game. The NEFC kids are committed but not all of the kids are. There are a few uncommitted 2019s on the 00s and I am sure the scouts are also gathering at the 01 games especially the 01 GNT versus 99 regional ODP teams. Many of the participants are ECNL players. The regional program remains relevant for girls.

Comment

That is hilarious!! 32 staff members on Mass. ODP and you boast about 9 "A" USSF licenses??
                            I know ALL of those coaches over the years and let me tell you that they are not regarded as the cream of the crop among coaching circles. Division 3, town programs and district select involvement. Guys from Billerica and Lexington youth soccer, district select and one DOC from Rush. (didn't even know Rush soccer was around these parts).
                            Where can I sign up my kid? What a joke!!!

Comment

That is hilarious!! 32 staff members on Mass. ODP and you boast about 9 "A" USSF licenses??
                              I know ALL of those coaches over the years and let me tell you that they are not regarded as the cream of the crop among coaching circles. Division 3, town programs and district select involvement. Guys from Billerica and Lexington youth soccer, district select and one DOC from Rush. (didn't even know Rush soccer was around these parts).
                              It's seems as if you don't value the program. Ok, let other spend their own money .

Comment

No one said they were the cream of the crop. If you take the Revs acadmy coaching staff many don't have anything higher than a D license.GH and BS are the only ones with ussf national licenses.
                                The former dean college coach who was in charge of Revs residential camps was an odp coache 4 years ago and current interim assitant coach at northeastern mens was too.
                                You seem really angry at the organization.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X