Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Well, it isn't the only ID program out there, but regardless...

You see how your kid stacks up against the players who are THERE. Many top players don't do ODP any longer. Fact - they're all DAP and ECNL. Also, while I don't think ODP sells itself this way many parents I've talked to have said "well it's extra touches with different coaches." In other words they look at it as extra training. I've advocated that unless you really think your kid is top notch I'd save your $$$ and pay for training elsewhere. It's useful only as an ID vehicle especially if you can go far up the line.
    Well, I would disagree with you about how strong the talent is in programs like DAP but that is neither here nor there. The simple matter is if a kid can't make it out of the local levels that by itself is worthwhile information. You start there and move up accordingly. I think you will find that once your kid makes it out of the local level the talent in ODP is pretty strong and the resume that is created by doing that also has an extreme value. While going with ODP at those levels CAN be costly, it offsets a whole lot of cost that you would have to otherwise incur building a comparable resume and then getting discovered. None of it is cheap but there are efficiencies to be had.

Comment

Explain one thing then to me. Why is it that the ODP kid that was on my son's club team last year was terrible? Actually not sure why the club picked him up, but he was terrible and ended up riding the bench. Isn't ODP supposed to identify good talent. Certainly not the case with this kid. We were hoping he would be good as we had a couple of holes that needed to be filled.
      Your's is the classic foolish position. The number of roster spots are pretty much fixed and they have to fill them with someone. If your kid is better than that player then YOU are costing him at least one bullet point on his playing resume with your bias. You are not seeing the forest for the trees. There are always bubble players and if that is who you are bench marking your son against that pretty much says it all. The real question to be answered though is whether or not your kid could surpass that weak player and make it to the regional pool and then to the regional team. The inter-regional event is still a who's who event and major recruiting opportunity. It puts players on the recruiting map. If you had a girl, they literally could be done with their college decision within a couple of months of making the regional team their freshman year.

Comment

Your's is the classic foolish position. The number of roster spots are pretty much fixed and they have to fill them with someone. If your kid is better than that player then YOU are costing him at least one bullet point on his playing resume with your bias. You are not seeing the forest for the trees. There are always bubble players and if that is who you are bench marking your son against that pretty much says it all. The real question to be answered though is whether or not your kid could surpass that weak player and make it to the regional pool and then to the regional team. The inter-regional event is still a who's who event and major recruiting opportunity. It puts players on the recruiting map. If you had a girl, they literally could be done with their college decision within a couple of months of making the regional team their freshman year.
        Look who's calling who foolish. You clearly have a bias. I was just trying to give the OP a bit of my experience. You said that ODP was good at identifying talent and yet they picked up the kid that I referenced that was clearly at the bottom of my sons club team. Not just my son, but the entire team was better than this kid. Your the one that is foolish. ODP clearly took a sub par soccer player. It's only going to hurt their brand. I could really care less. Just offering up my experience to the OP.

Comment

First time doing ODP. When are ODP results published? When are we notified?
          Are you kidding? Waiting for Mass ODP selections? You'll find out soon enough that it's a colossal waste of time. Cash grab and sham program. Not the top players, the forgotten ones. Warning, don't even bother.

Comment

Look who's calling who foolish. You clearly have a bias. I was just trying to give the OP a bit of my experience. You said that ODP was good at identifying talent and yet they picked up the kid that I referenced that was clearly at the bottom of my sons club team. Not just my son, but the entire team was better than this kid. Your the one that is foolish. ODP clearly took a sub par soccer player. It's only going to hurt their brand. I could really care less. Just offering up my experience to the OP.
            Picking the talent doesn't end at the state level. In fact MOST of what gets picked at the state level is pretty weak these days because of the local ECNL/DAP club's stance on ODP. That absolutely HAS weakened this state's pool but then simply making the state pool has never been what ODP is really about. It has always been about making it to the regional pool and team. That is what defines who the real players are. The key point is the amount of recognition hasn't changed. The opportunity in ODP now is the competition has never been weaker for that recognition. They are all over in the ECNL/DAP trying to distinguish themselves from each other. Unless your kid is a super stud that is awfully hard to do.
            A weak state pool makes it that much easier for a truly strong player such as your son to get identified and advance to the next level where the talent IS much stronger and the exposure is much greater. That goes to seeing the forest for the trees.

Comment

Are you kidding? Waiting for Mass ODP selections? You'll find out soon enough that it's a colossal waste of time. Cash grab and sham program. Not the top players, the forgotten ones. Warning, don't even bother.
              Wonder if this is a club coach or a spurned parent?

Comment

Please expand. You seem to have some insight on the program. Would you mind telling us exactly why you feel that it's a colossal waste of time.

Try to be specific: Did the coaches show up? Were the players tripping over themselves? Were the facilities terrible?

This seems to be a divisive topic. Many people (or the same person?) keep making the same negative comments, but nobody has made a case for those opinions.

Comment

Please expand. You seem to have some insight on the program. Would you mind telling us exactly why you feel that it's a colossal waste of time.

Try to be specific: Did the coaches show up? Were the players tripping over themselves? Were the facilities terrible?

This seems to be a divisive topic. Many people (or the same person?) keep making the same negative comments, but nobody has made a case for those opinions.
                  That same person(s) has been on this forum spouting the same stuff for years. What it comes down to is ODP didn't select their kid so now the program is crap. It's all just bitterness and there really is no logic behind.

ODP is the first fork in the road. If you are smart you use it to govern where you go with club soccer as pass through it. That has the potential to save you thousands in the end.

Comment

when are odp results

That same person(s) has been on this forum spouting the same stuff for years. What it comes down to is ODP didn't select their kid so now the program is crap. It's all just bitterness and there really is no logic behind.

ODP is the first fork in the road. If you are smart you use it to govern where you go with club soccer as pass through it. That has the potential to save you thousands in the end.

I am pretty sure everyone knows that it's the same poster who bashes ODP regularly and it's easy to tell by the posts that it's the same person posting. It's a jealous parent whose kid didn't make it. There is so much passion of hate that I can not believe it would be a club coach and if it is they shouldn't be around kids, they need a psych ward and the angry parent probably already lost their kid to DSS.

Comment

Wow

Wow, you ODP people really drink the Kool Aid. If someone disagrees with you, you automatically assume that our kid tried out for ODP and didn't make it. Some of actually have experience with ODP and our kid did do ODP and we weren't that impressed and didn't find value in it. Sorry to burst your bubble, but some of us just don't think it is all cracked up to be. I do think it was at one time, but not any more.

Comment

Wow, you ODP people really drink the Kool Aid. If someone disagrees with you, you automatically assume that our kid tried out for ODP and didn't make it. Some of actually have experience with ODP and our kid did do ODP and we weren't that impressed and didn't find value in it. Sorry to burst your bubble, but some of us just don't think it is all cracked up to be. I do think it was at one time, but not any more.
                        Doubt that you are going to find many parents who's kid made the regional pool and/or beyond trashing the program.

Comment

Doubt that you are going to find many parents who's kid made the regional pool and/or beyond trashing the program.
                          Sorry, but you are wrong.

Comment

Please tell me what it is supposedly cracked up to be. Not bursting any bubbles here as I am not familiar with the program.
                            As I asked earlier, please explain to me what you or your child didn't enjoy.
                            You state that you have experience. Can you share your experience with us and try to be specific in regards to the training or lack of. Something more detailed than; it's a waste of money/time, it stinks, your kid isn't going to make the national team, won't play in the Olympics, etc.

Comment

Wonder if this is a club coach or a spurned parent?
                              Neither, my son has been a state and regional player. Did the NJ Id camps, the inter-regional and national competition and I can tell you he was not playing with the best in his age group. This 2008-2009 when DAP was in full swing and the program has already taken all the top players into DAP. It has further deteriorated now, with the advent of ID2 and PDP, it is much worse. Please hang on to your money, look at the coaches in the Mass programs. They are low level licensed high school freshman and JV coaches and other low level club coaches looking to pad their soccer resumes. The guy from Alaska is horrendous. ECNL has also taken the very best area girls. In short, it's not relevant anymore. It really isn't.

Comment

Neither, my son has been a state and regional player. Did the NJ Id camps, the inter-regional and national competition and I can tell you he was not playing with the best in his age group. This 2008-2009 when DAP was in full swing and the program has already taken all the top players into DAP. It has further deteriorated now, with the advent of ID2 and PDP, it is much worse. Please hang on to your money, look at the coaches in the Mass programs. They are low level licensed high school freshman and JV coaches and other low level club coaches looking to pad their soccer resumes. The guy from Alaska is horrendous. ECNL has also taken the very best area girls. In short, it's not relevant anymore. It really isn't.
                                All four ODP regions have taken a beating since the onset of DAP and ECNL. Add US Club Soccer's ID2 and PDP and ODP has become irrelevant over the years. The kids who still are involved with ODP are lower level soccer players. Massachusetts District Select has also become a low very low level town soccer summer event. In the early 200's both of these programs were robust and very vibrant. The above poster is right. If you stay with it, you will see very early on that these are not good players.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X