Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freshmen Year in College

Lots of threads about recruiting. Not so many about what happens next.

My daughter is finishing her Junior year in college. All in all she (and we as her parents) lucked out. We thought we had done lots of research and certainly she did lots of visits, talked to coaches and players, and we were careful about academic fit. But, with hindsight, there was still huge unknowns that for the most part worked out okay. At a recent midterm break some of her old club/high school teammates were over for dinner and we parents listened in while the girls kicked around their different experiences (Div I, II and III and even JC). None regretted playing. Several were no longer playing or were done playing. All enjoyed the obvious pluses about playing. All had "war stories" which were relatively common.

Some of the common pluses:

1. Having a group. All for the most part liked their teammates. Pretty common for Freshmen and Sophomores to be somewhat ignored by older teammates. Pretty common for older teammates to not make an effort to get to know younger teammates.

2. Academic help. Jumping in and playing soccer Fall term freshmen year is a huge time demand right off the bat. Those that had academic help from advisers and tutors learned or were forced to make use of them right away. Enforced study table time requirements seemed like a pain initially but were helpful across the board. Everyone said it would be very easy to be overwhelmed.

3. Scared to party much. Everyone drank at team parties. Some did some partying within their dorms. None did anything else technically illegal - even smoking weed. Pretty much across the board testing positive for anything in season other than alcohol was going to get you kicked off the team (and maybe off-season too). No one wanted to test that theory. The coaches had them scared straight. A couple got MIPs during their Freshmen year and had no real team consequences (but not DUIs).

4. Coaches Pretend to be Nice During Recruiting. No one hated their head coach -- even the girls who were eventually cut. Everyone thought their head coach was a jerk during the season, and somewhat better in the off-season. Pretty typical I would think. Asst. coaches were the "friends" not the head coach.

5. Getting Yelled At. Everyone gets yelled at personally and as a team. Sometimes legit and sometimes not. Nothing you can do seems to be the conclusion. My favorite story: Team lost an away game to a team they should beat. Coach was mad. Next practice involved lots of running. Coach lit into the kids who did not travel to the game, because they suck so bad they could not beat out the crappy players he took to the game. All agreed it really sucks to do punishment practices if you did not get to play. But see coach's comment above. It does seem to help segments of the team bond.

6. Playing time. Everyone has playing time issues. No coach wants to hear from any player about playing time. Only resource to make a pitch for more time is an asst. coach. Everyone had instances where they knew they were better than kids who were playing, but could not get on the field.

7. Class Scheduling/Majors. Some majors do not work well with sports. Art and Music require lots of time outside of class doing things that cannot be done on a bus. It is difficult to find that time during the season. Majors with lots of labs -- hard to do unless labs are always on non-travel days which is impossible to control really.

8. Div I Off-Season Time. Probably biggest regret from the kids playing Div I was inability to do much else. A trade they were willing to make, but still wish they could do other things. My kid sings in a group and that is the only other "official" thing she does other than soccer. Even in the off-season she spends about 3 hours a day 4 days a week on soccer. Div III kids were more involved in other activities and all others were jealous. If you play Div I or II in a competitive program -- soccer is who you are and what you do.

9. Attrition. Two girls were cut. Coaches in each case said after Sophomore year - that they did not see them playing much next year. Probably better if they left. Two others quit after not playing much their Freshmen year. One never made the travel squad. Decided it was too much work and not enough fun to keep playing. No major injuries out of the group thankfully.

I did an unscientific look at some of the BCS league teams a while ago. For the schools I looked at there was at least 50% attrition between Freshmen and Senior years at pretty much every school. A few schools did better (mostly ones that recruited heavily overseas). A good many did worse (including some major women's soccer powers).

10. Bumps in the Road. Everyone had some troubles. Lots of them had playing time issues as Freshmen. For the ones who were cut/quit those continued into their Sophomore year.

Not many girls come from a club or school setting where the coach did a lot of yelling. It takes some getting used to. I suspect that a fair number of parents of college players have heard "the coach hates me" from their kid at some point during their Freshmen year.

It is hard for the kids and it can be hard on the parents. These are kids who were stars on their school soccer teams, and good players/stars on top level club teams. To not play. To not make the travel squad. To getting yelled at regularly by coaches. To not being liked by upperclassmen teammates. To watching kids play who may not be as good. And, to be in an environment where competition for playing time is almost a tangible thing can be a real culture shock. For my kid and I would guess the same for the others in that group -- they survived the Fall Freshmen season by largely doing the right things. Work hard. Keep mouth shut. Be friendly to everyone.

Out of the group we had over really only one kid started and played every game right away for a good Div II school (she made 2nd team all league - a real talented kid who would have been a big time Div I recruit if she did not graduate at 17). The kid who really was (and still is) the best player overall started and played big minutes the first few games, but then was injured and out for some time. By the time she was better she had lost her position so she did not play again freshmen year. She won her position back as a Sophomore and really had a great year.

My kid's story is that she came in as a sub during the team's first game her Freshmen year. She was the first freshman to get playing time. She played a wing defender position in a 4-4-2. Five minutes after subbing in she got beat and allowed a cross into the penalty area. A center D was in position to clear but miss hit it, and it was knocked in. My kid was pulled before the kickoff, and did not see the field for the next 3 games. She got another chance when a teammate was injured. As you would expect, no one wants to see a teammate injured, but injuries bring opportunities. For my kid that meant she got off the bench and eventually earned playing time and then a starting spot as a defensive center mid.

The other surprise I suppose was with positions. There was a lot to learn with flow of play and where/how coaches want ball and player movement. All way more complex that she had seen before. But, the freshmen were all in the same boat.

Freshmen Year in College

[QUOTE=Unregistered;1700006]Lots of threads about recruiting. Not so many about what happens next.

My daughter is finishing her Junior year in college. All in all she (and we as her parents) lucked out. We thought we had done lots of research and certainly she did lots of visits, talked to coaches and players, and we were careful about academic fit. But, with hindsight, there was still huge unknowns that for the most part worked out okay. At a recent midterm break some of her old club/high school teammates were over for dinner and we parents listened in while the girls kicked around their different experiences (Div I, II and III and even JC). None regretted playing. Several were no longer playing or were done playing. All enjoyed the obvious pluses about playing. All had "war stories" which were relatively common.

Wow, I'm saving this.

Comment

Freshmen Year in College

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

The other surprise I suppose was with positions. There was a lot to learn with flow of play and where/how coaches want ball and player movement. All way more complex that she had seen before. But, the freshmen were all in the same boat.
      For the OP and those that have been down this path, if a Div. I/II player gets cut, is their scholarship revoked? How about injury? Quitting? If you lose your scholarship mid-way, the school wins. They get a tuition paying student, instead of a free ride. I wonder about abuse and deception by the school here.

For Div. III, do you suspect they take excessive freshmen each year knowing that half won't be on the team by Jr. year, but will still being paying tuition and fees? I know coaches want the best players they can get, but doesn't the school want a large net of customers? For soccer, it might only be 6 freshman that leave the team in 2 years. But multiply that across all the teams at the school.

Comment

This thread was posted two weeks ago on the CT forum...no telling who posted the original, if this MA thread is also posted by the CT OP or just MA poster looking to start another controversial thread to suit his agenda.

http://talking-soccer.com/TS4/showthread.php?t=143324

Comment

1. Having a group. All for the most part liked their teammates. Pretty common for Freshmen and Sophomores to be somewhat ignored by older teammates. Pretty common for older teammates to not make an effort to get to know younger teammates.

2. Academic help. Jumping in and playing soccer Fall term freshmen year is a huge time demand right off the bat. Those that had academic help from advisers and tutors learned or were forced to make use of them right away. Enforced study table time requirements seemed like a pain initially but were helpful across the board. Everyone said it would be very easy to be overwhelmed.

3. Scared to party much. Everyone drank at team parties. Some did some partying within their dorms. None did anything else technically illegal - even smoking weed. Pretty much across the board testing positive for anything in season other than alcohol was going to get you kicked off the team (and maybe off-season too). No one wanted to test that theory. The coaches had them scared straight. A couple got MIPs during their Freshmen year and had no real team consequences (but not DUIs).

4. Coaches Pretend to be Nice During Recruiting. No one hated their head coach -- even the girls who were eventually cut. Everyone thought their head coach was a jerk during the season, and somewhat better in the off-season. Pretty typical I would think. Asst. coaches were the "friends" not the head coach.

5. Getting Yelled At. Everyone gets yelled at personally and as a team. Sometimes legit and sometimes not. Nothing you can do seems to be the conclusion. My favorite story: Team lost an away game to a team they should beat. Coach was mad. Next practice involved lots of running. Coach lit into the kids who did not travel to the game, because they suck so bad they could not beat out the crappy players he took to the game. All agreed it really sucks to do punishment practices if you did not get to play. But see coach's comment above. It does seem to help segments of the team bond.

6. Playing time. Everyone has playing time issues. No coach wants to hear from any player about playing time. Only resource to make a pitch for more time is an asst. coach. Everyone had instances where they knew they were better than kids who were playing, but could not get on the field.

7. Class Scheduling/Majors. Some majors do not work well with sports. Art and Music require lots of time outside of class doing things that cannot be done on a bus. It is difficult to find that time during the season. Majors with lots of labs -- hard to do unless labs are always on non-travel days which is impossible to control really.

8. Div I Off-Season Time. Probably biggest regret from the kids playing Div I was inability to do much else. A trade they were willing to make, but still wish they could do other things. My kid sings in a group and that is the only other "official" thing she does other than soccer. Even in the off-season she spends about 3 hours a day 4 days a week on soccer. Div III kids were more involved in other activities and all others were jealous. If you play Div I or II in a competitive program -- soccer is who you are and what you do.

9. Attrition. Two girls were cut. Coaches in each case said after Sophomore year - that they did not see them playing much next year. Probably better if they left. Two others quit after not playing much their Freshmen year. One never made the travel squad. Decided it was too much work and not enough fun to keep playing. No major injuries out of the group thankfully.

I did an unscientific look at some of the BCS league teams a while ago. For the schools I looked at there was at least 50% attrition between Freshmen and Senior years at pretty much every school. A few schools did better (mostly ones that recruited heavily overseas). A good many did worse (including some major women's soccer powers).

10. Bumps in the Road. Everyone had some troubles. Lots of them had playing time issues as Freshmen. For the ones who were cut/quit those continued into their Sophomore year.

Not many girls come from a club or school setting where the coach did a lot of yelling. It takes some getting used to. I suspect that a fair number of parents of college players have heard "the coach hates me" from their kid at some point during their Freshmen year.

It is hard for the kids and it can be hard on the parents. These are kids who were stars on their school soccer teams, and good players/stars on top level club teams. To not play. To not make the travel squad. To getting yelled at regularly by coaches. To not being liked by upperclassmen teammates. To watching kids play who may not be as good. And, to be in an environment where competition for playing time is almost a tangible thing can be a real culture shock. For my kid and I would guess the same for the others in that group -- they survived the Fall Freshmen season by largely doing the right things. Work hard. Keep mouth shut. Be friendly to everyone.

Out of the group we had over really only one kid started and played every game right away for a good Div II school (she made 2nd team all league - a real talented kid who would have been a big time Div I recruit if she did not graduate at 17). The kid who really was (and still is) the best player overall started and played big minutes the first few games, but then was injured and out for some time. By the time she was better she had lost her position so she did not play again freshmen year. She won her position back as a Sophomore and really had a great year.

My kid's story is that she came in as a sub during the team's first game her Freshmen year. She was the first freshman to get playing time. She played a wing defender position in a 4-4-2. Five minutes after subbing in she got beat and allowed a cross into the penalty area. A center D was in position to clear but miss hit it, and it was knocked in. My kid was pulled before the kickoff, and did not see the field for the next 3 games. She got another chance when a teammate was injured. As you would expect, no one wants to see a teammate injured, but injuries bring opportunities. For my kid that meant she got off the bench and eventually earned playing time and then a starting spot as a defensive center mid.

Very interesting. My daughters just completed sophomore and junior seasons at D3 schools. The younger could have played at D1 or D2 schools (not offered a lot of money but a position on a couple D1 teams..she comes from an ECNL team) but chose D3 for several of the reasons you mention..time commitment/major, playing time, and for the most part she felt comfortable with the team after dong an overnight. It was the right choice for her as coach is not a yeller, older players were not jerks to her, and she has played a lot first 2 years. I know some of her teammates that went on to play D1 have not had the same experience (less or no playing time by second year, bad coaches, etc). It is tempting for a player to chose D1 because they think that is what they have worked for all those years playing club..but it is not always the right choice. The other side of the coin is that you can always try D1 and if it does not work out transfer to a D3 school that you believe you would be a good fit for and they will have a spot for you in most cases on the soccer team.

Comment

Interesting to read. The point being to do as much research as possible and then cross your fingers and hope for the best.

Comment

At the D1 level coaches don't really cut the player, they cut their money. Same result but it has different ramifications than it does at the D3 level. At the D1 level it usually means the kid has to leave the school because of financial reasons. At the D3 level it is more like opting out of an extra curricular.

I have been trying to explain what the OP is saying for years. Your kid had really love what they are doing or they are going to have a miserable college experience. The type of stuff they are writing about is precisely why you don't want to just focus on the academic part of the equation when making the college decision like many here are apt to advise. If you don't get the athletic fit part just right, life can really suck for an athlete that is on the wrong side of the coaches favor. Sitting on the bench sux. Getting screamed at sux. And ultimately the coach can just cut the players money and likely force them out of school.

Comment

Originally posted by beentheredonethat View Post
                At the D1 level coaches don't really cut the player, they cut their money. Same result but it has different ramifications than it does at the D3 level. At the D1 level it usually means the kid has to leave the school because of financial reasons. At the D3 level it is more like opting out of an extra curricular.

I have been trying to explain what the OP is saying for years. Your kid had really love what they are doing or they are going to have a miserable college experience. The type of stuff they are writing about is precisely why you don't want to just focus on the academic part of the equation when making the college decision like many here are apt to advise. If you don't get the athletic fit part just right, life can really suck for an athlete that is on the wrong side of the coaches favor. Sitting on the bench sux. Getting screamed at sux. And ultimately the coach can just cut the players money and likely force them out of school.
                Bullsh** they don't cut. They cut all the time. Or more often they just don't play someone and make it crystal clear it isn't working out so the player drops out. Happens plenty.

If possible try and garner as much merit money and financial aid as possible. For former can't be cut unless your GPA drops below the school's threshold. if you're a good student but midlevel player chances are you'll get far more merit money than athletic money anyway, especially on the men's side. Financial aid only changes if your income changes . That takes the pressure off the athletic money piece.

Comment

Bullsh** they don't cut. They cut all the time. Or more often they just don't play someone and make it crystal clear it isn't working out so the player drops out. Happens plenty.

If possible try and garner as much merit money and financial aid as possible. For former can't be cut unless your GPA drops below the school's threshold. if you're a good student but midlevel player chances are you'll get far more merit money than athletic money anyway, especially on the men's side. Financial aid only changes if your income changes . That takes the pressure off the athletic money piece.
                  I actually agree with you, just making the subtle note about how it is actually done. They don't actually cut like in a high school program, because usually if the player is willing to stick around with no money as a practice player that helps them, they just take their money away and give it to someone else. Functionally taking the money away does the same thing as cutting because most families end up reassessing the situation which typically results in the kid transferring.

The academic money idea is great and it does exactly what you say, except with the coaches that tend to favor their scholarship players. There are lots of those out there. What happens in that type of situation is it allows the coach to turn the player into a paid practice player. My rule of thumb is the athletic money tells you how much they are counting on the player going into the deal. As any parent with a college player will tell you, things change (coaches leave, injuries, etc) so usually the best deal you are going to get is the one you walk in with. From that point onward though your kid will have to justify keeping it each and every day. As poster #1 noted, that can be a shock to some kids so you had better prepare them for it.

Comment

2. Academic help. Jumping in and playing soccer Fall term freshmen year is a huge time demand right off the bat. Those that had academic help from advisers and tutors learned or were forced to make use of them right away. Enforced study table time requirements seemed like a pain initially but were helpful across the board. Everyone said it would be very easy to be overwhelmed......
                    Love this post. Right or wrong, this is pretty accurate in my experiences as a college player with several friends who played at other schools. Like everything else in life, the build up can be the best part. Reality is a different story. College is such a new experience, throw in soccer (D1 down to JC) and it is a mixed bag of fun, excitement, fear, exhaustion, learning.... You don't always get what you think you will and sometimes even when you do, you realize it is nothing like you thought it would be. I hope more of the u-little parents read this and realize that they are pushing their babies at a crazy pace for what might not even be what they want in 8 years. Enjoy the childhood.... Goes by too fast and there are no do-overs in life. You get one chance to be a kid. Love the game, play the game. But don't live by the game alone...

Comment

Thanks for starting this thread, BTNT. Very helpful information.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;1700020]

Wow, I'm saving this.
                        Too funny, BTNT. You are the ultimate psycho.

Comment

It is a repost from the Conn. forum and I think it was a repost there.

Comment

It is a repost from the Conn. forum and I think it was a repost there.
                            Exactly.

Comment

re

Interesting thread. It's very difficult for potential recruits to evaluate colleges and soccer coaches when selecting a school. I'm sure, even if not the case, everything appears to be great until you actually see for yourself.

I'd also like to hear some positive experiences. What were parents and the child looking for in the college selection process? What were some of the red flags? What would you recommend for those going through the process right now if D1, D2 and D3 were all on the table?

We value academics, safety and social first, and then consider the coach and soccer program. I'd appreciate any feedback on our approach.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X