Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boys Clutching and Grabbing

Has anyone else noticed that grabbing hold of a players jersey is never called?
    I'm all for a solid block tackle or shouldering a player off the ball, but is seems like there are more kids that rely on grabbing or using their arms to prevent the offensive player from going by them, and there is never a foul called.

I'm talking about the U11-U12 Boys where I see it frequently. Some teams seem to have players that rely on this as a defensive tactic., they don't even try to win the tackle, just prevent the player from getting by them. I realize that the player with the ball needs to be able to deal with it, but it seems that it's just accepted by the refs.

The refs can't call everything, but it shouldn't just be ignored. Fast kids with skill are at a disadvantage to slow footed hangers on.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I'm all for a solid block tackle or shouldering a player off the ball, but is seems like there are more kids that rely on grabbing or using their arms to prevent the offensive player from going by them, and there is never a foul called.

I'm talking about the U11-U12 Boys where I see it frequently. Some teams seem to have players that rely on this as a defensive tactic., they don't even try to win the tackle, just prevent the player from getting by them. I realize that the player with the ball needs to be able to deal with it, but it seems that it's just accepted by the refs.

The refs can't call everything, but it shouldn't just be ignored. Fast kids with skill are at a disadvantage to slow footed hangers on.
    There are very few "fast kids with skill" playing soccer in Mass. They are just fast or just skilled. See every elite club team in the state for verification.
    "Slow footed hanger ons", as you disparage them, are being well coached on how to slow the players. Better coaching at the second tier clubs where the majority of them play.

Comment

It is rarely called but I think for most refs it's lower on the priority list of things they're watching for. The only time I've seen it called (which isn't often) is when it was very egregious - like pulling on the shirt swung the player around or otherwise caused them to lose momentum or balance.

Comment

There are very few "fast kids with skill" playing soccer in Mass. They are just fast or just skilled. See every elite club team in the state for verification.
        "Slow footed hanger ons", as you disparage them, are being well coached on how to slow the players. Better coaching at the second tier clubs where the majority of them play.
        I don't agree that coaching kids to grab hold of a player is good coaching. How about getting behind the ball when going for a tackle (move your feet). If you can't keep up then containing the player until you get help is how we coach our kids. Contact and physical play are part of what makes soccer fun to play and watch, but coaching kids to grab hold of another is a mistake - in my opinion.

Comment

Wear tighter shirts.

Comment

Refs have to worry about this...fans waving their things at them

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b06037734aa090

Comment

Refs have to worry about this...fans waving their things at them

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b06037734aa090

HA! I hope nobody thinks that coaching kids to do this is just good coaching!

Comment

I don't agree that coaching kids to grab hold of a player is good coaching. How about getting behind the ball when going for a tackle (move your feet). If you can't keep up then containing the player until you get help is how we coach our kids. Contact and physical play are part of what makes soccer fun to play and watch, but coaching kids to grab hold of another is a mistake - in my opinion.
                I see that Jonathon Swift is not widely read...

Comment

I see that Jonathon Swift is not widely read...
                  I can see that spelling names correctly is not widely used either...

"Every dog must have his day" - JS

Comment

I can see that spelling names correctly is not widely used either...

"Every dog must have his day" - JS
                    "A hit, a very palpable hit" - WS

Comment

U12 son and agree. See it all the time. What annoys me (and my son more) is deliberate arm grabbing/pulling. He plays basketball and that's a holding foul.

I believe there are coaches that deliberately teach/coach certain techniques. Whether it's aggressive/dirty play or something else.

We recently played a team I'll call the floppers. Away game, away ref. Flop on every play. And he called every single one in their favor. They even got 2 pks. It appeared to be their strategy and it worked.

At the end of the day, these kids aren't learning real soccer and will be at a disadvantage as they get older.

The lesson here is to teach your kid good soccer and to rise above and ignore the rest. It will make him/her a better player long term.

Comment

"A hit, a very palpable hit" - WS
                        Sorry, not up on my William Shatner quotes. ;)

Comment

U12 son and agree. See it all the time. What annoys me (and my son more) is deliberate arm grabbing/pulling. He plays basketball and that's a holding foul.

I believe there are coaches that deliberately teach/coach certain techniques. Whether it's aggressive/dirty play or something else.

We recently played a team I'll call the floppers. Away game, away ref. Flop on every play. And he called every single one in their favor. They even got 2 pks. It appeared to be their strategy and it worked.

At the end of the day, these kids aren't learning real soccer and will be at a disadvantage as they get older.

The lesson here is to teach your kid good soccer and to rise above and ignore the rest. It will make him/her a better player long term.
                          yes, this is a key strategy employed by Valeo.

The lesson should be, teach your kids how to do this, unless they only want to watch the games from the bench in high school.

Comment

yes, this is a key strategy employed by Valeo.

The lesson should be, teach your kids how to do this, unless they only want to watch the games from the bench in high school.
                            Teenage referees (and you get a lot of them at that level) just haven't seen it enough to call it. Some fouls take a decent amount of training to call.

Especially if you are doing a rather typical Saturday set of games and you have 2 or 3 lower division games followed by a D1 game. Switch to club games, level of play goes up even more.

Comment

Thank you!
                              That was exactly my point. I believe some coaches are teaching these tactics. When we see our boys do it in practice we tell them not to.
                              We played a team this w/e and their backs were apparently instructed to hold onto our forward players. I don't think they came up with this on their own and I never heard their coach instruct them not to. They simply made no attempt to win the ball, they just got as close to our player as they could and would grab a handful of shirt.

We make it our policy not to gripe to the refs - ever. They have enough to deal with, but this grabbing and pulling affects the flow of the game. I know the ref sees it, but they don't want to call it.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X