Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    So I'm a pretty good youth soccer coach, but I never played soccer. But I discovered my knack for coaching late in life and I'm too old to play in an adult league to pick up actual playing experience.

Should I just go to the dying hole and wait for Jesus?
    No, but you should read these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunnin...3Kruger_effect

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10626367

Comment

Can we stipulate that coaching matches as post-development ages and training for skill development at younger ages are worlds apart?

If you're able to find a coach that exhibits superior ability in both, stay with them as long as your kid is motivated and enjoys the sport.

Comment

How do you know you are a good coach? How do you teach them Coerver ball skills? How do you teach them tactical attack and formation, having no direct knowledge?

I love architecture, but I am not an architect. In fact, I can't even draw. That's why I don't teach architecture.
        I wish my kids High School coach would read this.

Comment

I'm the O.P. I find this ironic because the opposite is true. The more I learn, the more I realize that I don't know. It's a responsibility being a coach because people pin their kid's success on you I don't like that responsibility. So I work harder and harder to make sure the kid's get everything they should from me and I never feel its enough.

Comment

I'm the O.P. I find this ironic because the opposite is true. The more I learn, the more I realize that I don't know. It's a responsibility being a coach because people pin their kid's success on you I don't like that responsibility. So I work harder and harder to make sure the kid's get everything they should from me and I never feel its enough.
            Your response regarding the irony just defined The Dunning-Kruger effect:

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias wherein relatively unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly assessing their ability to be much higher than is accurate. You would make a pretty good case sample in a study....

Comment

I'm a good coach who never played soccer

If you're a volunteer coach, don't be so hard on yourself. Parents aren't relaying on you to make their kid a star. Most parents just want their kids to have fun, learn a few things, and to keep playing the next season, so keep that in mind. For the little ones (U6-U10), the Mass Youth Soccer website has a good section on practice plans and small sided games. Some of these plans can also be used for older ones too.

My suggestion would be to watch the game on tv and see how it looks from a birds eye view. Then try to work alongside more experienced coaches to get an idea how to run a practice and set up drills/games. For classroom training, Mass Youth Soccer and other coaching associations offers courses throughout the year. Most clubs/towns will reimburse you for the course fee. Since you indicated you never really played, you should be patient with all of this and not expect too much too soon.

Comment

My suggestion would be to watch the game on tv and see how it looks from a birds eye view. Then try to work alongside more experienced coaches to get an idea how to run a practice and set up drills/games.
                Valuable advice that would benefit you and your players.

Comment

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias wherein relatively unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly assessing their ability to be much higher than is accurate. You would make a pretty good case sample in a study....
                  Obviously a study based on any politician that has ever existed...

Comment

No, I'm saying that the more time passes, the less I feel confident in what I'm doing. So I work harder and harder.

Now, my question is whether there is some kind of effect or syndrome for people who think they can psychoanalyze strangers over the internet based on a few paragraphs. Would that also be the Dunning-Kruger effect if an unskilled armchair psychologist really believes their own psychobabble?

Comment

If you're a volunteer coach, don't be so hard on yourself. Parents aren't relaying on you to make their kid a star. Most parents just want their kids to have fun, learn a few things, and to keep playing the next season, so keep that in mind. For the little ones (U6-U10), the Mass Youth Soccer website has a good section on practice plans and small sided games. Some of these plans can also be used for older ones too.

My suggestion would be to watch the game on tv and see how it looks from a birds eye view. Then try to work alongside more experienced coaches to get an idea how to run a practice and set up drills/games. For classroom training, Mass Youth Soccer and other coaching associations offers courses throughout the year. Most clubs/towns will reimburse you for the course fee. Since you indicated you never really played, you should be patient with all of this and not expect too much too soon.
                      Honestly, I do this all the time. Constantly trying to learn. But I've also found that when I go to any type of coaching seminar or training, the focus is always on the U-littles. I coach and older team. Undefeated for two seasons but we're town-level. We did play a travel team early this season and got our butts handed to us, so then I really started cracking the books hard to figure out what they were doing that we weren't doing. I have a handle on it now.

A very good point you're raising about how the parents aren't relying on me. I guess if they were, they'd put them on a competitive travel team. I mean, you don't buy a Yugo and expect it to perform like a Porsche. That helps.

Comment

I'm a good coach who never played soccer

Honestly, I do this all the time. Constantly trying to learn. But I've also found that when I go to any type of coaching seminar or training, the focus is always on the U-littles. I coach and older team.
                        Yeah, that has been my experience with the Mass Youth Soccer courses. However, after you get past Level F, they focus on coaching older kids. They presume everyone starts coaching the U-littles and work their way up. The courses progress in a similar fashion. Some clubs or towns really encourage the Grade E when dealing with teenagers.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X