Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a good coach who never played soccer

So I'm a pretty good youth soccer coach, but I never played soccer. But I discovered my knack for coaching late in life and I'm too old to play in an adult league to pick up actual playing experience.

Should I just go to the dying hole and wait for Jesus?

How do you know you are a good coach? How do you teach them Coerver ball skills? How do you teach them tactical attack and formation, having no direct knowledge?

I love architecture, but I am not an architect. In fact, I can't even draw. That's why I don't teach architecture.

Comment

As long as you don't have any kids you should be fine to coach according to the brain trust on TS.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        So I'm a pretty good youth soccer coach, but I never played soccer. But I discovered my knack for coaching late in life and I'm too old to play in an adult league to pick up actual playing experience.

Good for you. But stick to rec leagues and/or low level travel leagues. You will never gain the experience / knowledge to teach all the aspects of the game to high level players

Comment

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Comment

How do you know you are a good coach? How do you teach them Coerver ball skills? How do you teach them tactical attack and formation, having no direct knowledge?

I love architecture, but I am not an architect. In fact, I can't even draw. That's why I don't teach architecture.
            You're perfectly qualified to participate in a case study on logical fallacies though.

Comment

In that analogy, wouldn't a soccer player be Bob the Builder instead of an architect? And why would Bob the Builder automatically be a good architect when he's a builder? My kid's highschool team coach played at a high level and he's not that good of a coach. Those games are painful to watch.

Also, why do you have to know how to do Coerver ball skills to ask kids to do it? As long as you can get them to understand what it is supposed to look like, why does it matter how you get them to understand? You could use puppets if you wanted to as long as you got the concept across and make sure they do it.

Comment

Maybe.

My son's coach in HS never played soccer, and is a VERY good coach - did not spend a lot of time himself on technical issues (and has assistants with playing experience) but a great teacher of teamwork, discipline, patience - character in short. Educated himself tactically via NSCAA and tv. He had played varsity hockey in college himself and had great team experience. MS in Education, worked at the school and knew the kids, took over the team when the previous coach quit in preseason, about 10 years ago...

I'd suggest the guy could be right, worked out in this case

Comment

In that analogy, wouldn't a soccer player be Bob the Builder instead of an architect? And why would Bob the Builder automatically be a good architect when he's a builder? My kid's highschool team coach played at a high level and he's not that good of a coach. Those games are painful to watch.

Also, why do you have to know how to do Coerver ball skills to ask kids to do it? As long as you can get them to understand what it is supposed to look like, why does it matter how you get them to understand? You could use puppets if you wanted to as long as you got the concept across and make sure they do it.
                  How would you teach it to them with puppets? Easier to show them yourself. How do you correct it, how do you instruct it?

As for coaches with technical assistants, that's different and that is fine. Actually, probably preferred as you have a HC who managed the program, and delegates the technical aspects out. Perfectly fine, but I didn't get that from the original post.

Not all technical people are good coaches, didn't mean to imply that.

Comment

you must be one of the FC Bolts south coaches.

Comment

you must be one of the FC Bolts south coaches.
                      Knew it was only a matter of time before this got linked to a club bashing

Comment

so what...

Comment

As opposed to endlessly perpetuating the sham?

Comment

As opposed to endlessly perpetuating the sham?
                            So then why not just come out and say it? Or is everyone turning into the three whackos who set up bogus threads and slowly direct it towards their own personal agendas after a few pages? Have some ball* and man up!

Comment

Please tell us about Red Auerbach's athletic skills...... or Harry Sinden's or Bill Belichik's

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X