Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Odp is a joke and waste of money. They take everyone who can write a check.
    So. Does your club.

Comment

So. Does your club.
      02 had a 100 girls for odp. Club tryouts had 45. Can't speak for all clubs but ours is shadow of what it used to be 5 years,ago.

Comment

I'm not one to boast any club or program but must add that this is the first year I attended this tryouts with my child. I found the tallant very high. This was well organized and I seen about 9 coaches. The GK's also had two of their own coaches. I'm not sure why anyone would knock this. There will be 40 kids in my kids age group not making the team. Remember this is a year driven tryouts. When did your team get 70-100 players at tryouts in a combined age for that?
        It's all relative. The better players don't do ODP any longer, so what you see is the talent (spell check is your friend btw) that shows up. Same with the coaching. You're paying decent money for mediocre, infrequent training. Also a program that makes cuts isn't necessarily a quality program but the better clubs do get that many kids trying out. Spend your money as you see fit, but go in with eyes wide open

Comment

In my opinion...

Access to different coaches, involvement with new players, more touches on the ball = a better and more well rounded soccer player.

If your kid is at the top of the ODP pool, he'll still benefit in other ways.

Or keep your kid with his winning club team and he'll only learn how to play with those same 12 kids.

Sticking with the same kids, coaches, teams will not make for an independent, creative, and well rounded player.

Comment

It's all relative. The better players don't do ODP any longer, so what you see is the talent (spell check is your friend btw) that shows up. Same with the coaching. You're paying decent money for mediocre, infrequent training. Also a program that makes cuts isn't necessarily a quality program but the better clubs do get that many kids trying out. Spend your money as you see fit, but go in with eyes wide open
            Stars, NEFC, GPS, Central saw very little action last Spring at tryouts. Very few new faces.

Comment

In my opinion...

Access to different coaches, involvement with new players, more touches on the ball = a better and more well rounded soccer player.

If your kid is at the top of the ODP pool, he'll still benefit in other ways.

Or keep your kid with his winning club team and he'll only learn how to play with those same 12 kids.

Sticking with the same kids, coaches, teams will not make for an independent, creative, and well rounded player.
              You can achieve that many other ways, and probably at a better price point with better training, than ODP. This ODP round is one thing. Throw in the camp and the rest and suddenly you've dropped decent coin hoping to be id'd, when in reality you just got ok training

Comment

You can achieve that many other ways, and probably at a better price point with better training, than ODP. This ODP round is one thing. Throw in the camp and the rest and suddenly you've dropped decent coin hoping to be id'd, when in reality you just got ok training
                Agree. You can def achieve what I mentioned through clinics, camps, etc.

Not sure about a better price point though.

I think ODP Winter is $300. ODP Spring is $300.

Most clinics or camps are in that ballpark.

I think my point (or grievance so to speak) is with the constant "my kid is too good for xyz".

When in reality, I truly believe that the parent who keeps their kid with the same players, team, coaches; is actually hurting their kid in the long run.

My kid is doing Revs RDS right now and I/he is not impressed with his grouping or coaches. However, there are still things he gets out of it that are positive.

This notion of "he's too good for..." Well let's see where those players are at in 5 years.

Comment

I think my point (or grievance so to speak) is with the constant "my kid is too good for xyz".

When in reality, I truly believe that the parent who keeps their kid with the same players, team, coaches; is actually hurting their kid in the long run.

My kid is doing Revs RDS right now and I/he is not impressed with his grouping or coaches. However, there are still things he gets out of it that are positive.

This notion of "he's too good for..." Well let's see where those players are at in 5 years.
                  Maybe he'll get to move up to the good RDS group after a few years of awesome ODP training.

Comment

Your a fool. I seen Ecnl, npl and premier players at tryouts this past weekend. I do realize that Stars ecnl and npl teams practice schedule is set up to run at the same time as the ODP so it's players ain't poached just like JD and GC did when they were involved. You should open your eyes as well. Your D team is not the only valid team in the state.

Comment

OP here - not saying mine is "too good." But I look at what we get for the money spent plus trying to fit it all in and it isn't worth it. I have an older child who participated a few years ago and it wad a much stronger program then. If it were still that's this one would participate.

As far as training, hiring a coach and doing some semi privates with 3-4 similarly skilled teammates is a great way to get specialized training (coach can tailor to each player) at a good price value

Comment

Odp is a joke and waste of money. They take everyone who can write a check.
                        100 kids formed these tryouts and it's not relevant? Ok buddy.

Comment

Your a fool. I seen Ecnl, npl and premier players at tryouts this past weekend. I do realize that Stars ecnl and npl teams practice schedule is set up to run at the same time as the ODP so it's players ain't poached just like JD and GC did when they were involved. You should open your eyes as well. Your D team is not the only valid team in the state.
                          Sorry. I had to do this. Look at your first 2 sentences.

"Your a fool. I seen Ecnl, "

Correction:

" You're a fool" "I saw ECNL"

Comment

OP here - not saying mine is "too good." But I look at what we get for the money spent plus trying to fit it all in and it isn't worth it. I have an older child who participated a few years ago and it wad a much stronger program then. If it were still that's this one would participate.

As far as training, hiring a coach and doing some semi privates with 3-4 similarly skilled teammates is a great way to get specialized training (coach can tailor to each player) at a good price value
                            You raise a good point but private training with three other families involved is a lot harder to organize then said.

Perhaps a few years back the ODP was run poorly but this year it looked like they had their thinking hats on. Jmo

Comment

Sorry. I had to do this. Look at your first 2 sentences.

"Your a fool. I seen Ecnl, "

Correction:

" You're a fool" "I saw ECNL"
                              Now your just a mass hole. Who cares

Comment

Now your just a mass hole. Who cares
                                It just proves that the average IQ of some of those who post is about 70.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X