Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Do you not know that “little California Thorns” was De Anza before they joined GDA?
    Not really. All the top players from DeAnza went to other clubs, not to California Thorns.

Comment

NWSL will last for a couple more years. MLS will prop it up. There were very few people at the championship game and overnight ratings vs college football were dismal.
      Truth. Teenage boys hockey here in Portland draws substantially more fans to games than showed up for the NWSL "championship" game.

Comment

Not really. All the top players from DeAnza went to other clubs, not to California Thorns.
        Some stayed with California Thorns, most went to Earthquakes DA with Deza.

Comment

Some stayed with California Thorns, majority went to SJ Earthquakes DA with Deza.

Comment

Look plenty of thinks that are ****ty about the Timbers/Thorns, but this is an unhelpful thread.

Other more constructive ways to speak up about the Timbers nonsense.

Comment

Look plenty of thinks that are ****ty about the Timbers/Thorns, but this is an unhelpful thread.

Other more constructive ways to speak up about the Timbers nonsense.
              And yet you took the time to read and reply. Since you have such a clear picture of what is helpful about the dumpster fire that Timbers has created in youth soccer, please enlighten us with your own more relevant thread.

Comment

And yet you took the time to read and reply. Since you have such a clear picture of what is helpful about the dumpster fire that Timbers has created in youth soccer, please enlighten us with your own more relevant thread.
                Alright whatever.

Comment

Ruined their reputation?

On the contrary, they are doubtless honored to be allied with the two-time NWSL champion Portland Thorns, who are, with little doubt, the best professional women's soccer team in the United States. Even if the local academy team isn't stellar (this is Oregon, after all), the Thorns' first team is simply the best there is without needing a passport.
                  This!!!

Comment

Allied??? *** does that even mean?

You people are such fools.

What do you get? Nothing.

Can some random person play for the thorns? Yes. They literally will take anything with talent so allied means nothing.

Oh thorns won a championship in a stadium 1/3 filled and somehow that makes a random club in California better? What a joke.

When the women's league folds I suppose that means you ll have to fold up shop to? I mean you are allied.....

Face it, you got sold on an alliance where you don't get anything but the chance to fool people into thinking you can vicariously use achievements....

You sound like the crappy Ecnl teams from Oregon claiming dominance because of a random good team in their league they have nothing to do with.

Comment

Can some random person play for the thorns? Yes. They literally will take anything with talent so allied means nothing.

Oh thorns won a championship in a stadium 1/3 filled and somehow that makes a random club in California better? What a joke.

When the women's league folds I suppose that means you ll have to fold up shop to? I mean you are allied.....

Face it, you got sold on an alliance where you don't get anything but the chance to fool people into thinking you can vicariously use achievements....

You sound like the crappy Ecnl teams from Oregon claiming dominance because of a random good team in their league they have nothing to do with.

De Anza name actually meant something across the country.

Literally no one with a soccer brain is thinking California thorns is creditable because they changed their name.

It's literally shocking how dumb people can be.

GPS is affiliated with Bayern Munich who's 14 year olds would beat the thorns pro women's team 10-0....

Does that mean GPS is now somehow amazing! Smoke and mirrors for idiots.

Comment

Silly ECNL honks can't wait for the NWSL to fold, so NCAA women's soccer will once again be the only thing that matters, if barely and only for legal reasons.

Amazing the level of spite in here. Just amazing.

Comment

Silly ECNL honks can't wait for the NWSL to fold, so NCAA women's soccer will once again be the only thing that matters, if barely and only for legal reasons.

I am not the OP and I'm not a "silly ECNL parent." But surely you see the writing on the wall when a championship game can't come close to filling a stadium (8000 in attendance), when players in the prime of their careers retire because they can't afford to keep playing, and when outside of the PNW and Orlando most stadiums look like JV pitches. I know it's easy to go to a Thorns game and get excited about the huge crowd and strong support. But we are an outlier and the league is struggling to survive. That's why I'm opposed to the GDA system with the parent clubs footing the bill for families who can easily afford club soccer. I would rather see the parent clubs pay the current players a better salary. Or lower ticket prices to try to bring in a few more bodies. Yes, talented kids who can't afford to play should have scholarship resources. Those are available at every TA and ECNL club in Oregon. GDA has never been about improving the game. It's about seeing someone else (ECNL) making money off soccer families and wanting a piece of the pie for themselves. If they do succeed in running ECNL out of business, I guarantee you their fee structure will dramatically change and increase. They are the Walmart of youth soccer, and our professional league players are being paid welfare wages so parents who drive Range Rovers to a practice can get a free ride. Does that even begin to make sense?

Comment

Here is what Americans think about women's soccer:
                            Average attendance this year - 5,000
                            On 8/16 there was a whopping 428 people that watched Kansas play the Thorns

I love the fact my daughters education is being subsidized by soccer, but playing Pro soccer for women will not have staying power

Comment

I am not the OP and I'm not a "silly ECNL parent." But surely you see the writing on the wall when a championship game can't come close to filling a stadium (8000 in attendance), when players in the prime of their careers retire because they can't afford to keep playing, and when outside of the PNW and Orlando most stadiums look like JV pitches. I know it's easy to go to a Thorns game and get excited about the huge crowd and strong support. But we are an outlier and the league is struggling to survive. That's why I'm opposed to the GDA system with the parent clubs footing the bill for families who can easily afford club soccer. I would rather see the parent clubs pay the current players a better salary. Or lower ticket prices to try to bring in a few more bodies. Yes, talented kids who can't afford to play should have scholarship resources. Those are available at every TA and ECNL club in Oregon. GDA has never been about improving the game. It's about seeing someone else (ECNL) making money off soccer families and wanting a piece of the pie for themselves. If they do succeed in running ECNL out of business, I guarantee you their fee structure will dramatically change and increase. They are the Walmart of youth soccer, and our professional league players are being paid welfare wages so parents who drive Range Rovers to a practice can get a free ride. Does that even begin to make sense?
                              There are only 10 NWSL club (out of 69 GDA clubs)

Not all of the parent NWSL club are footing the bill. Reign charge $10K per player.

Thorns charge $2K. They had to do this to attract players. They can also afford to do this because they have other revenues streams from Oregon youth soccer to cover some of the costs of the Thorns Academy.

Agree on the comments about what happens when ECNL goes away. You will see higher prices to play GDA if ECNL goes away. You can't go up against an established competitor and charge more for a comparable product which is GDA's current position.

With regards to low pay for female soccer players, it is all about economics. There are more women's college programs then men's therefore putting out more players. There are 22 MLS clubs and only 10 NWSL clubs. The reverse is true in college and women are the beneficiary in this scenario. Less female players and more college scholarship opportunities.

There are 308 million women in the US. 51% of the US population are women. Maybe more women should go to NWSL games to support women sports and create more demand rather than complaining about the low pay. The players are paid market value. No one is forcing anyone to play soccer. Most of these players got a subsidized college education and should go work elsewhere if they are unhappy with their situation.

Comment

Bingo!

GDA is run in smoke and mirrors. Thorns have never produced a pro player. Thorns coaches have far from produced a pro player.

You've got coaches with the thorns academy that have never even developed a successful youth team. And for some reason it's about a pathway to pros? ***?

It's about money and control. Period.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X