X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I think just needs based scholarships.
    How much does it cost to go to Jesuit for four years? Are needs based scholarships only academic? Or sports too?

Comment

oh my gosh! nothing could be further from the truth - shows how much none of you know anything about Jesuit and how envy is pervasive on this forum
      The top 20 HS rankings in the nation for girls soccer is out. 5 of the top 20 are catholic schools and 3 schools ranked in the top 15 are Jesuit schools. They all offer scholarships for sports. If you are good and have potential just contact the coach

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/high...fall-2017/5022

Comment

The top 20 HS rankings in the nation for girls soccer is out. 5 of the top 20 are catholic schools and 3 schools ranked in the top 15 are Jesuit schools. They all offer scholarships for sports. If you are good and have potential just contact the coach

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/high...fall-2017/5022
        Good old University of Jesuit...

Comment

I think just needs based scholarships.
          Yes, this is correct. Our high school kid goes to Jesuit, plays soccer, and is on a needs-based scholarship. There are no academic or athletic scholarships offered by Jesuit, only needs-based, and I will tell you that contrary to what you want to believe, there are many students at Jesuit that are on needs-based scholarships. You may think that everyone at Jesuit is rich, but that simply is not true. First and foremost, any prospective student at Jesuit has to prove academic success, show strength of character, and moral leanings. There are many kind kids at Jesuit and there are many mean ones, just like every school out there. What we love about Jesuit is the faculty - the leadership and example they provide to the students and the love and concern they give to the students. They are a dedicated faculty.

Comment

Yes, this is correct. Our high school kid goes to Jesuit, plays soccer, and is on a needs-based scholarship. There are no academic or athletic scholarships offered by Jesuit, only needs-based, and I will tell you that contrary to what you want to believe, there are many students at Jesuit that are on needs-based scholarships. You may think that everyone at Jesuit is rich, but that simply is not true. First and foremost, any prospective student at Jesuit has to prove academic success, show strength of character, and moral leanings. There are many kind kids at Jesuit and there are many mean ones, just like every school out there. What we love about Jesuit is the faculty - the leadership and example they provide to the students and the love and concern they give to the students. They are a dedicated faculty.
            Thiank you. I'm sure this is true. Jesuit is a top notch education & sports destination so many athletes choose to go there. We would definitely consider it but we aren't Catholic so I'm worried they wouldn't take our daughter or that she'd be left out.

Comment

Thiank you. I'm sure this is true. Jesuit is a top notch education & sports destination so many athletes choose to go there. We would definitely consider it but we aren't Catholic so I'm worried they wouldn't take our daughter or that she'd be left out.
              Jesuit schools take all denominations. Being Catholic isn't a pre-requisite, although it probably helps a little bit. Almost all Catholic schools, be they Jesuit based or good-old parochial, only give need based aid and a small amount of merit based. But it's merit based on grades and entrance exam scores. No sports scholarships. Other private schools that are not parochial/religion based (independent Day schools, boardings schools etc) have a wide range of how they handle assistance. All have financial aid and merit, but sometimes that "merit" is for sports.

Comment

Probably dropped a lot of money in the transfer window.
                There nothing wrong with spending money to bring in top talent. Colleges do it all the time.

I don't know how any of it works but I wonder if schools like Jesuit give financial assistance to kids that aren't academic achievers or athletically talented?

Are they allowed to recruit?

Comment

A ton of non-Catholics attend both Jesuit, Central Catholic and Valley

Comment

There nothing wrong with spending money to bring in top talent. Colleges do it all the time.

I don't know how any of it works but I wonder if schools like Jesuit give financial assistance to kids that aren't academic achievers or athletically talented?

Only need based aid (have to fill out forms with your tax returns etc, much like applying for college financial aid). Because tuitions aren't as high as say a prep school or fancy private school the need based aid tends to not be as generous, but they do try to make it workable as much as they can.

Comment

2017 High School Girls Soccer

My daughter went to Jesuit, played soccer, and we are not Catholic. There is every religion represented in the student body. No one ever feels left out - it is school that fosters inclusion in every aspect. PAYING tuition was a sacrifice for our family but we made it work. 1 in 4 Jesuit students receive some sort of need based financial aid. Contrary to popular belief, and rumors spread by those who know nothing, scholarships for sports are never offered.

Comment

Yes, Jesuit gives financial assistance to kids that are NOT athletically talented, however they do have some high standards for academic achievement. All the kids at my kids' middle school that got accepted to Jesuit had above average academic grades, more than 1/2 were not athletes at all, but the kids accepted definitely showed a strong academic background. Also, Jesuit wants a diverse student body, so they really want kids from the east side, not just the west side, so some east side kids may have a bit of an edge on admittance.

And, NO, Jesuit does not recruit.

Comment

Yes, Jesuit gives financial assistance to kids that are NOT athletically talented, however they do have some high standards for academic achievement. All the kids at my kids' middle school that got accepted to Jesuit had above average academic grades, more than 1/2 were not athletes at all, but the kids accepted definitely showed a strong academic background. Also, Jesuit wants a diverse student body, so they really want kids from the east side, not just the west side, so some east side kids may have a bit of an edge on admittance.

And, NO, Jesuit does not recruit.
                          What specifically makes kids from the "east side" more "diverse" by Jesuit standards?

Comment

Jesuit is a great school and they give scholarships. Yes they are "needs" based but don't be foolish to believe that athletes don't receive scholarships or aren't given preference. This just isn't real world. Of course these athletes have to fit a general academic profile but to say that private schools don't give athletes preferential treatment to build their programs is folly.
                            It's a competitive edge they have vs. public schools and that's ok - just don't be ignorant.
                            (notice I did not say recruiting - athletes have to let it be known they want to attend and then the doors are opened to those that qualify. Again, nothing wrong with it - just don't say it doesn't happen - we know better)

Comment

Why all of the discussion about Jesuit when they are only on a par with a number of the public schools academically? And from a private school perspective, they are behind Catlin and OES and CC is even with them.

Comment

2017 high School Girls Soccer

Jesuit is a great school and they give scholarships. Yes they are "needs" based but don't be foolish to believe that athletes don't receive scholarships or aren't given preference. This just isn't real world. Of course these athletes have to fit a general academic profile but to say that private schools don't give athletes preferential treatment to build their programs is folly.
                                It's a competitive edge they have vs. public schools and that's ok - just don't be ignorant.
                                (notice I did not say recruiting - athletes have to let it be known they want to attend and then the doors are opened to those that qualify. Again, nothing wrong with it - just don't say it doesn't happen - we know better)
                                Hmmm, you must work at Jesuit, cause you know this how??????

I guess the lie of recruitment and scholarships being rewarded to athletes will have to be perpetuated in the Metro League in order to justify why everyone loses to Jesuit - if that makes you feel better, believe the untruths.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X