Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    You have posted this same comment three or four times now on this forum whenever a westside vs pcu game is being discussed. It's fine to advocate for the DA system but you don't need to tear down the kids and teams that don't join the DA.

I understand your point that the OYSA premier league is diluted as most of the '04 kids at the DA clubs moved en masse to the DA teams but it isn't necessary to post this type of negative comment. No one on this thread is saying OYSA has the best teams top to bottom but the 2016/2017 OYSA Westside, PCU, ADF and 4-H PSG teams would have given any of the DA teams a very good game.

Back to the actual state cup game:

Your punt count is wildly overstated. The keeper punt count for both teams including goal kicks was around 15 combined with the majority being goal kicks. Both keepers did play the ball short a few times each during the game but combined it was at the most five times. So, yes, buildup out of the back starting with the keeper was not done that often.

But, there was very few long balls played from the backline. Most passes went from the backline into the midfield and then into the forward players so both teams were passing through the other team and not launching long balls over the top.

The fact is that Westside could have changed their style to playing long balls after going up 2-0 and would have won the game. They didn't and ended up losing 3-2 but they kept playing their team oriented passing/possession game instead of simply playing for the win.

Additional Keeper Punt Comments:

What are the reasons for the keepers not playing the ball short?

1. State Cup Final ~ obviously both teams want to win and not give away a cheap goal

2. High Press ~ Both teams pressed the back lines, even when the ball went out wide and up the line to the midfield. Both teams were sending multiple players forward to cut off the back pass and switch of field passes.

3. High Grass ~ This game was played on thick high grass. Drops, back passes and switches are harder to predict and execute in this high grass. Coincidently, the grass on this field was cut after the finals to half of the length for the Timbers Academy tryouts. I make this comment regarding the cutting of the grass on this field only to demonstrate that it was obviously too long to play crisp short passes and needed to be cut to accommodate the requirements of the academy tryouts.

4. Good judgement ~ The kids on both teams made good decisions based on what the other team gave them. If the back pass or switch wasn't possible without a turnover then it wasn't played.

Was it ugly soccer/football?

Sometimes it was scrappy but both teams have a lot of talented athletes that play with confidence in themselves and their teams and both play an intense high pressure defense. The reason it looks scrappy and helter skelter at times is both teams are constantly putting the other team under pressure which results in a lot of turnovers, intercepted passes, balls out of bounds, lack of back passes by forward players. What you see as "ugly football", I see as two intense teams trying their best to create an opportunity through defensive effort.

Good luck to both Westside and PCU at regionals in June.

In addition, I wish ADF as a club continued success in the future as they are providing an additional avenue for participation in the pdx youth soccer community.
    All excellent points! I agree that westside could have adjusted and increased their likely hood for a win. It was a fun game.

We don't need to speculate as to how Westside, PCU or ADF would have done in DA, these same kids have been playing against each other since they were 9 years old. It would have been tight with Washington and Crossfire for sure.

Comment

ADF 04B won FWRL. Oregon gets a wildcard team in 02B, not04B.

Maybe PCU cannot go, so WT is going as runner-up?
      Making sure I have this straight. PCU goes as champion, and the FWRL-NW champion team (ADF) was supposed to go but couldn't afford the trip, so FWRL runner up Westside goes in its place?

Did I get it right?

Comment

Making sure I have this straight. PCU goes as champion, and the FWRL-NW champion team (ADF) was supposed to go but couldn't afford the trip, so FWRL runner up Westside goes in its place?

Did I get it right?

Yes you got it right although I suspect it wasn't lack of funds but rather there are only a couple players that stayed and the 10-14 new families didn't want to pay for regionals when their kids hadn't earned it. I'm guessing they aren't going to super copa this month either but I could be wrong. I hope ADF rebounds it's fun playing them even if the 04 coach is little crazed, they are tough.

Comment

Did I get it right?

Yes you got it right although I suspect it wasn't lack of funds but rather there are only a couple players that stayed and the 10-14 new families didn't want to pay for regionals when their kids hadn't earned it. I'm guessing they aren't going to super copa this month either but I could be wrong. I hope ADF rebounds it's fun playing them even if the 04 coach is little crazed, they are tough.
          Only players rostered for State Cup could go to Regionals so new players couldn't go anyhow.

Comment

Only players rostered for State Cup could go to Regionals so new players couldn't go anyhow.
            Sad to have a team spend a year earning their way into this and then all bail for random DA clubs right before. Most decent clubs and parents honor their commitments and let the players see it through Regionals.

Comment

Sad to have a team spend a year earning their way into this and then all bail for random DA clubs right before. Most decent clubs and parents honor their commitments and let the players see it through Regionals.
              I think the rule is you can have up to 9 new players go to regionals, so roughly half the team. That is what I read when I managed a team going to regionals. Coach told me the new kids need to be affiliated with the club somehow but I didn't specifically read that. Could be that it was just his policy.

Comment

this happens when you build a team of serial club hoppers. was fun while it lasted, and while the replacement team won't be nearly as strong, it will be built the right way and will be sustainable.

Comment

Did I get it right?

The rules state that you must have 9 originally rostered players

Comment

Right and I think an 18 max roster. 9 minimum original players is the best way to state it.

Comment

You are only looking at this from a team and club perspective. The other side the player and parent perspective is why should l spend thousands to go to a tournament and leave the team. I can save some money by not going

Comment

You are only looking at this from a team and club perspective. The other side the player and parent perspective is why should l spend thousands to go to a tournament and leave the team. I can save some money by not going
                        And a lot of players might answer that it would be a great experience to play regionals, and if you win regionals, you get a pass to play Nationals in Frisco, TX. Most high level players would aspire to this.

Comment

And a lot of players might answer that it would be a great experience to play regionals, and if you win regionals, you get a pass to play Nationals in Frisco, TX. Most high level players would aspire to this.
                          Most players also know that Timbers Academy is a higher level than state and regionals

Comment

Most players also know that Timbers Academy is a higher level than state and regionals
                            Last year, the players finished regionals before joining the Acad.

Comment

Last year, the players finished regionals before joining the Acad.
                              Correct. Academy also encourages players to fulfill prior Commitments.

Comment

What teams will the u14 Timbers Academy be playing this year that are a higher level than those at Regionals and Nationals?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X