Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    What kind of broken promises? Play time and position, or that your kid would actually be developed and learn how to play soccer that doesn't involve bootball and attempts to dribble through the entire opposing team?

My kid plays plenty and even if he didn’t Thats not what I care about. Bootball and not actually developing any of the kids is my issue, plus lack of consistency

Comment

My kid plays plenty and even if he didn’t Thats not what I care about. Bootball and not actually developing any of the kids is my issue, plus lack of consistency
      An 06 then?

Comment

An 06 then?
        If you think these problems are limited to the 06 age group, think again.

Comment

Just to further this narrative, to the albeit 'older' meaningful club ages of HS (u15 to u19), whatever methods, tactics and player development this particular club is doing, has evolved into the most dominant older aged boys club this state has ever witnessed over the last 20+ years. This is the only 'consistency' germane in the real world. Which can't be refuted.

New England Patriots have detractors. but championships are not matters of opinion.

Comment

This.

Comment

Focusing on winning rather than development is a tendency at all clubs. Westside is probably less guilty of this than many clubs; I don't see much bootball being encouraged there.

WashT seems to be the club in town that is most fanatical about playing out of the back.

Comment

As much as I hate to resurrect a thread containing a poop emoji I am going to go ahead and do that. Serious question: why the high turnover at the boy's younger's ages for westside? A couple of years ago it was the 06's. Last year it was the 07's. I imagine the trend will continue with the 08's. There is consistent bragging about how good the teams are at U10 and U11 and then half the kids are gone by U12. I have heard westside has a good boy's program, and they offer DA, so what is going on?
                There was a LOT of turnover in the '05 class, both due to the age change, and due to a major coaching change that occurred about four years ago. (Eastside raided the staff, absconded with two very popular coaches, and a lot of families left). This also impacted the 06 class greatly.

And yet despite all of this--despite a sizeable fraction of 05 Copa now being at FC, and another sizeable fraction being at Timbers Academy (including several who spent some time at ADF)--look who is at the top of the 05 DA table. And the "reverse rapture" hasn't even occurred yet!

I don't know much about the 07 class, other than there are quite a few 08s playing up. 08 class is still reportedly looking good.

What does this all mean? Heck if I know... other than the middle-school ages are when clubs are best able to boost their records by deploying the biggest and fastest athletes they can. But that stops working around U14, and doesn't work at all in high school.

So relax... Westside will be fine.

Comment

There was a LOT of turnover in the '05 class, both due to the age change, and due to a major coaching change that occurred about four years ago. (Eastside raided the staff, absconded with two very popular coaches, and a lot of families left). This also impacted the 06 class greatly.

And yet despite all of this--despite a sizeable fraction of 05 Copa now being at FC, and another sizeable fraction being at Timbers Academy (including several who spent some time at ADF)--look who is at the top of the 05 DA table. And the "reverse rapture" hasn't even occurred yet!

I don't know much about the 07 class, other than there are quite a few 08s playing up. 08 class is still reportedly looking good.

What does this all mean? Heck if I know... other than the middle-school ages are when clubs are best able to boost their records by deploying the biggest and fastest athletes they can. But that stops working around U14, and doesn't work at all in high school.

So relax... Westside will be fine.
                  According to USDA's website, only 2 08's are playing for the Westside 07 DA team, which is pretty comparable to the number of 08's playing for other 07 DA teams. If you want to see a team that has a lot of players playing up a year, it is FC Portland's 06 DA team, which has quite a few 07's. Want to know what club those 07's were playing for last year?

Three age groups that have had a major defection in the past three years. When players hit U12 they leave Westside in droves.

Comment

According to USDA's website, only 2 08's are playing for the Westside 07 DA team, which is pretty comparable to the number of 08's playing for other 07 DA teams. If you want to see a team that has a lot of players playing up a year, it is FC Portland's 06 DA team, which has quite a few 07's. Want to know what club those 07's were playing for last year?

Three age groups that have had a major defection in the past three years. When players hit U12 they leave Westside in droves.
                    Like I said, Westside will be fine. We develop enough talent for both ourselves, and FC Portland too!

Comment

According to USDA's website, only 2 08's are playing for the Westside 07 DA team, which is pretty comparable to the number of 08's playing for other 07 DA teams. If you want to see a team that has a lot of players playing up a year, it is FC Portland's 06 DA team, which has quite a few 07's. Want to know what club those 07's were playing for last year?Three age groups that have had a major defection in the past three years. When players hit U12 they leave Westside in droves.
                      The younger ages are so virtually meaningless for all clubs: driven by getting results and clueless recruitment- based on size & pre-mature stars, which result in worthless results that mean nothing as they get older. See ADF, Salem, 4-H & others of this ilk who rely on this broken impulsive short sighted model.

When players are ready to compete at the HS ages they leave all other clubs for Westside in droves.

It happens.

Comment

The younger ages are so virtually meaningless for all clubs: driven by getting results and clueless recruitment- based on size & pre-mature stars, which result in worthless results that mean nothing as they get older. See ADF, Salem, 4-H & others of this ilk who rely on this broken impulsive short sighted model.

When players are ready to compete at the HS ages they leave all other clubs for Westside in droves.

It happens.
                        Also see last weekend's U15 Copa/Navy game. No more DAs, no more Timbers intrigue, just the two top blue-chip programs going at it in the first year of high school club football.

The score?

Westside 8, FC 0.

Come to think of it, Navy is 0-4 in their first four winter league matches, with a goal differential of -26. Meanwhile, United PDX is 3-0 so far. Sounds like BM may have made off with far more than just a bunch of talented 06s. And right behind (or ahead of, I suppose) FC at the bottom of the table? The F-Bombs.

Maybe we need to resurrect the 04 Boys thread...

Comment

Also see last weekend's U15 Copa/Navy game. No more DAs, no more Timbers intrigue, just the two top blue-chip programs going at it in the first year of high school club football.

The score?

Westside 8, FC 0.

Come to think of it, Navy is 0-4 in their first four winter league matches, with a goal differential of -26. Meanwhile, United PDX is 3-0 so far. Sounds like BM may have made off with far more than just a bunch of talented 06s. And right behind (or ahead of, I suppose) FC at the bottom of the table? The F-Bombs.

Too bad they're in premier. They might have done well in President's Cup

Comment

The score?

Westside 8, FC 0.

That was so many words to still not show me a club that can actually develop players..

I’m an old school racer and we love the saying “built not bought”

Comment

That was so many words to still not show me a club that can actually develop players..

I’m an old school racer and we love the saying “built not bought”
                              Like noted above, Westside does develop players. They do so for themselves. Recently they've done it for FC and ADF. And most importantly, for the Timbers.

Westside does develop players. They focus on technique at younger ages, tactics at older ages. As a result, at U11, U12, U13... they sometimes look disorganized. But comfort and skill with the ball is what is best learned at younger ages.

Westside's boys HS teams are, I believe, currently in the top 3 in all age groups' premier divisions, with a few sitting comfortably in first place. These are the age groups where variance in physical development isn't a factor, where differences in size and speed are far less able to dominate differences in skill.

Westside is, easily, the top producer of local talent for Timbers Academy.

Westside, historically, is easily the top producer of professionals of any club in the area.

And you think the club doesn't "develop" players? Based on what? Anyone can come in here and accuse a club of "bootball" (even though it's not a very accurate accusation in this case), or point to the record of a middle-school team as evidence of a failing club. But this isn't a sprint, it's a marathon.

Comment

Like noted above, Westside does develop players. They do so for themselves. Recently they've done it for FC and ADF. And most importantly, for the Timbers.

Westside does develop players. They focus on technique at younger ages, tactics at older ages. As a result, at U11, U12, U13... they sometimes look disorganized. But comfort and skill with the ball is what is best learned at younger ages.

Westside's boys HS teams are, I believe, currently in the top 3 in all age groups' premier divisions, with a few sitting comfortably in first place. These are the age groups where variance in physical development isn't a factor, where differences in size and speed are far less able to dominate differences in skill.

Westside is, easily, the top producer of local talent for Timbers Academy.

Westside, historically, is easily the top producer of professionals of any club in the area.

And you think the club doesn't "develop" players? Based on what? Anyone can come in here and accuse a club of "bootball" (even though it's not a very accurate accusation in this case), or point to the record of a middle-school team as evidence of a failing club. But this isn't a sprint, it's a marathon.
                                Well take a peek at the DA films and it clearly shows lack of skills being taught. The teams never ever even trying to play out of the back and connect multiple passes. The teams play bootball and aren’t being developed. Watching the keeper punt and defenders “clear it” to the other team.😂😂😂

The biggest issue is watching and listening to the coaches stomping and screaming at the kids and trying to think for them/control them . They aren’t teaching sh!t

I feel bad for these kids having coaches and parents like you. parents who think typing something makes it true when things are easily fact checked noadays

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X