Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timbers Thorns League

So helpful, sent at almost 8:00 pm this evening. We had bad air from 4:30 or so onwards but no email or any communication until almost 8:00 pm

Dear Coaches and Managers,
    I hope that most of you got a game in today. We have of course been monitoring air quality all week. As you can see from the graphics below, no one could have predicted the sudden rise in particulate matter today. It even caught the local weather folk off guard.

Anyway, we of course also have the health and safety of all players as our principal core value. That is why as this event happened, as a team we reacted accordingly. We apologize that some of you were en route to games, but unfortunately this could not have been helped, and of course when player safety is in question, we err on the side of caution.

So, for Sunday games. All the predictions look like an east wind will come in and clear the Portland metro area and other areas out for tomorrow. As for Vancouver, from the graphic below, it is already falling.

Salem is here http://aqicn.org/city/usa/oregon/salem/ and the quality in the forecast is good after 9am tomorrow, as is Eugene-Springfield http://aqicn.org/city/usa/oregon/spr...d-city-hall/m/ also. Grants Pass is deemed to be decent tomorrow in the forecast, although Medford may still in the “unhealthy for sensitive people” range tomorrow, as is Hood River. The forecast is not amazing for Bend tomorrow early morning but clears up at lunchtime.

So the steps we are taking proactively tonight are to postpone games in Hood River and Medford tomorrow. For every other game, we advise that the traveling coach, call the home coach in the morning and assess the levels, just because we cannot control and predict conditions all over the state at 100% accuracy. Hopefully the forecast is correct and we get a lot of games in tomorrow!

If the home coach lets the away coach know that the levels are not good enough to play, please email myself, Brian Scott (League Director) brian@oregonyouthsoccer.org<mailto:b... thsoccer.org> , our referee scheduler ad.assigning@gmail.com<mailto:ad.assigning@gmail.c om> and our scheduler p_morris02@msn.com<mailto:p_morris02@msn.com> so we can mark it down for reschedule and also inform the referees not to show up at the fields.

Best wishes and stay safe,
    Mike

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    So helpful, sent at almost 8:00 pm this evening. We had bad air from 4:30 or so onwards but no email or any communication until almost 8:00 pm

I hope that most of you got a game in today. We have of course been monitoring air quality all week. As you can see from the graphics below, no one could have predicted the sudden rise in particulate matter today. It even caught the local weather folk off guard.

Anyway, we of course also have the health and safety of all players as our principal core value. That is why as this event happened, as a team we reacted accordingly. We apologize that some of you were en route to games, but unfortunately this could not have been helped, and of course when player safety is in question, we err on the side of caution.

So, for Sunday games. All the predictions look like an east wind will come in and clear the Portland metro area and other areas out for tomorrow. As for Vancouver, from the graphic below, it is already falling.

Salem is here http://aqicn.org/city/usa/oregon/salem/ and the quality in the forecast is good after 9am tomorrow, as is Eugene-Springfield http://aqicn.org/city/usa/oregon/spr...d-city-hall/m/ also. Grants Pass is deemed to be decent tomorrow in the forecast, although Medford may still in the “unhealthy for sensitive people” range tomorrow, as is Hood River. The forecast is not amazing for Bend tomorrow early morning but clears up at lunchtime.

So the steps we are taking proactively tonight are to postpone games in Hood River and Medford tomorrow. For every other game, we advise that the traveling coach, call the home coach in the morning and assess the levels, just because we cannot control and predict conditions all over the state at 100% accuracy. Hopefully the forecast is correct and we get a lot of games in tomorrow!

If the home coach lets the away coach know that the levels are not good enough to play, please email myself, Brian Scott (League Director) brian@oregonyouthsoccer.org<mailto:b... thsoccer.org> , our referee scheduler ad.assigning@gmail.com<mailto:ad.assigning@gmail.c om> and our scheduler p_morris02@msn.com<mailto:p_morris02@msn.com> so we can mark it down for reschedule and also inform the referees not to show up at the fields.

Mike
    Ok. I am no fan of Mike and his crew of stooges who are ruining youth soccer in Oregon. But what did you want him to do? No one can predict with certainty the air quality or exactly when it will clear. Those of us with kids playing in high school have been dealing with this for weeks. My DD's high school team has had 5 games rescheduled, most with very short notice. She has a friend who drove an hour for a HS game today, only to have it cancelled right as they were arriving. I received 5 emails from our high school on Friday - game is canceled, no it's on. Now it's moved, no it's back at our school. Oops it's canceled after all. This is unprecedented and I don't think anyone in charge of any youth sports organization is handling it perfectly. But in this case (only!) I'll give Mike a pass. Your club's DOC and coaches should have communicated with you today about the status of weekend games. If that's not acceptable to you, sign her up for volleyball. Smoke doesn't affect their games.

Comment

Ok. I am no fan of Mike and his crew of stooges who are ruining youth soccer in Oregon. But what did you want him to do? No one can predict with certainty the air quality or exactly when it will clear. Those of us with kids playing in high school have been dealing with this for weeks. My DD's high school team has had 5 games rescheduled, most with very short notice. She has a friend who drove an hour for a HS game today, only to have it cancelled right as they were arriving. I received 5 emails from our high school on Friday - game is canceled, no it's on. Now it's moved, no it's back at our school. Oops it's canceled after all. This is unprecedented and I don't think anyone in charge of any youth sports organization is handling it perfectly. But in this case (only!) I'll give Mike a pass. Your club's DOC and coaches should have communicated with you today about the status of weekend games. If that's not acceptable to you, sign her up for volleyball. Smoke doesn't affect their games.
      DOC's live at an air quality above the peasants playing. Jus sayin.

Comment

Mike
        Academy games were played as scheduled in Portland. I guess OYSA players are as weak as everyone says. Glad your little snowflakes didn't have to deal with a bit of smoky air.

Comment

Academy games were played as scheduled in Portland. I guess OYSA players are as weak as everyone says. Glad your little snowflakes didn't have to deal with a bit of smoky air.
          Eugenics wins the day

Comment

Mike
            Not even necessary. If you thought the air was too bad, why did you let your kid play? Who's the parent, you or OYSA?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            Working...
            X