Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is everyone so negative on here all the time?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are some real problems in youth soccer. This forum allows people to air their grievances. Some of it is just rivalry. Some is smack. Some is trolling. But there have been some good discussions and I, for one, have been able to learn a thing or two that my club had not told me. If you get all your information on the sidelines, you are only hearing half the story. The hard part is wading through all the trash talk to find real information of value on TS.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      There are some real problems in youth soccer. This forum allows people to air their grievances. Some of it is just rivalry. Some is smack. Some is trolling. But there have been some good discussions and I, for one, have been able to learn a thing or two that my club had not told me. If you get all your information on the sidelines, you are only hearing half the story. The hard part is wading through all the trash talk to find real information of value on TS.
      Totally true! I don't like how caustic and cynical some posters are on here. And I could do without a lot of the posts where they are bashing a specific club or coach or parent. But I have been able to learn some actual factual information on here that has helped me navigate youth soccer to create a great experience for my daughter. You just have to wade through a lot of B.S. to get to the good information.

Comment

TS should do away with anonymous posting without moderation first. That would cut down on the trolling. I originally thought that anonymous posts should be eliminated, but to your point some of the nuggets might not make it through.

I don't know how many times I've tried to give honest feedback and opinion only to be attacked and have the words twisted. I say man up and register. As a matter of fact, I'm doing that right after this post.

Comment

Just wondering. I wonder why people can't actually discuss things in a civil manner. There is so much negativity from everywhere. Pretty sad.
          well .. it is a message board for a lot of us .. not necessarily to bash a coach or a club .. but to deliver a message to the coach or a club .. because, otherwise by following the proper civilized means of communication to express our discomfort with something, it will work against us. Been there done that .. clubs\coaches do not like feedback and do not want to hear complaints that involves out kids' soccer development.
          And so we are using TS to stir up the pot and send a message to the Coach that we are watching .. and sometimes bring up to the public or rest of the club all the missteps that the Coach has done for the team ..

Comment

well .. it is a message board for a lot of us .. not necessarily to bash a coach or a club .. but to deliver a message to the coach or a club .. because, otherwise by following the proper civilized means of communication to express our discomfort with something, it will work against us. Been there done that .. clubs\coaches do not like feedback and do not want to hear complaints that involves out kids' soccer development.
            And so we are using TS to stir up the pot and send a message to the Coach that we are watching .. and sometimes bring up to the public or rest of the club all the missteps that the Coach has done for the team ..
            Has this been productive for you?

Comment

Has this been productive for you?
              Yes, my therapist says I'm making great strides.

Comment

Yes, my therapist says I'm making great strides.
                Let me also expand my comment by saying that my therapist believes I will be able to re-enter normal society in 3 or 4 months...(eye twitch, eye twitch)...now where are those f@#K #$@$ pills he prescribed.

Comment

Thanks TS

After perusing all the craziness on this site for well over a year, combined with my experiences with youth competitive soccer (boy still very young) it has given me much perspective on youth soccer (and youth sports in general).

Going to get back a life of my own (I use to have one).

Going to take the youth sports for what they are, a fun, learning experience.
                  Teamwork, competitiveness, hard work and the results experienced.

Boy / team has a bad game - so what.

Is he going pro (no), do I want to dedicate the next 8 years to the hopes that we will get a partial athletic scholarship to a middling college (no)

Are his studies more important than his soccer (yes)

Thank you TS!

Comment

After perusing all the craziness on this site for well over a year, combined with my experiences with youth competitive soccer (boy still very young) it has given me much perspective on youth soccer (and youth sports in general).

Is he going pro (no), do I want to dedicate the next 8 years to the hopes that we will get a partial athletic scholarship to a middling college (no)

Thank you TS!
                    Usually I would rip into this post with some ridiculous and Ill admit childish remark but I just can't bring myself to do it. You summed it all up pretty nicely. At the end of the day its about what the kids get out of it that matters.

Comment

Thank you TS!
                      That's one perspective and I like the clever format. You could substitute competitive, equestrian sports, sailing, lacrosse, cheer leading, drama, travel baseball, etc. for soccer. What I don't agree with is the way this is all framed as either/or - as though they are choosing to give up competitive soccer because they can't have the other things if they stay engaged, like:

Competitive Soccer - or - fun, learning experience, teamwork, competitiveness, hard work.
                      Competitive Soccer - or - Boy / team has a bad game - so what.
                      Competitive Soccer - or - Is he going pro (no),
                      Competitive Soccer - or - dedicate the next 8 years to the hopes that we will get a partial athletic scholarship to a middling college (no)
                      Competitive Soccer - or - Are his studies more important than his soccer (yes)

As though you have to walk away from youth soccer to get those other things? Why can't you still stay in competitive soccer and get all its benefits and still experience all those things. Like, has your young son convinced you that his studies AREN'T important if he stays in competitive soccer?

Comment

With great power comes a huge electricity bill.

Comment

That's one perspective and I like the clever format. You could substitute competitive, equestrian sports, sailing, lacrosse, cheer leading, drama, travel baseball, etc. for soccer. What I don't agree with is the way this is all framed as either/or - as though they are choosing to give up competitive soccer because they can't have the other things if they stay engaged, like:

Competitive Soccer - or - fun, learning experience, teamwork, competitiveness, hard work.
                          Competitive Soccer - or - Boy / team has a bad game - so what.
                          Competitive Soccer - or - Is he going pro (no),
                          Competitive Soccer - or - dedicate the next 8 years to the hopes that we will get a partial athletic scholarship to a middling college (no)
                          Competitive Soccer - or - Are his studies more important than his soccer (yes)

As though you have to walk away from youth soccer to get those other things? Why can't you still stay in competitive soccer and get all its benefits and still experience all those things. Like, has your young son convinced you that his studies AREN'T important if he stays in competitive soccer?
                          We are staying in competitive soccer (for now)

I'm just readjusting my own personal outlook on how it fits into the big picture.

If he wants to keep playing, that's great! And if, in the future, he wants to commit his
                          time to other endeavors, I will support it.

Just not going to lose any sleep over any of this anymore, good or bad...

Comment

Good post and pretty much spot-on. The only importance that should be put on club soccer, or any club sport for that matter, is for the kid. Do they like what they are doing? Are they having fun? Are they doing it in hopes of a scholarship? If the answer is "yes" for the first two questions and "no" for the last one then maybe the sport is a worthwhile pursuit.

Comment

Thank you TS!
                              I think most parents come to this same conclusion at some point. Fortunately for you it was early rather than later. I don't mean conclusion about the success of your kid soccer future. More the conclusion that you have little control over that and what will be will be. You will now enjoy youth sports so much more.

Also if a kid gets even a partial scholarship they would be doing better than the majority of kids even at the D1 level. Still you see clubs bragging about how many scholarships kids have earn who might have played at their club. It is the carrot for the check.

Comment

Originally posted by unregistered View Post
                                with great power comes a huge electricity bill.
                                winner! Lol

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X