Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Thanks Dad, sorry your son didn't make the team!
    I would never take my son to a garbage club like the Chargers. They don't know how to develop talent and the talent they manage to poach from WFF & TBU, they fail develop them to their full potentetial. Since getting DA Chargers have produced zero USMNT Pool players or zero MLS Players. We make the trip from Clearwater to Orlando City. Glad you like the Chargers $2,500 kool aid, loser.

Comment

You can usually go to one of the small Christian NAIA schools for not much money but you get what you pay for. Many are limited in their academic options and in some cases quality.

Comment

I would never take my son to a garbage club like the Chargers. They don't know how to develop talent and the talent they manage to poach from WFF & TBU, they fail develop them to their full potentetial. Since getting DA Chargers have produced zero USMNT Pool players or zero MLS Players. We make the trip from Clearwater to Orlando City. Glad you like the Chargers $2,500 kool aid, loser.
        Sorry, but we all know that several Chargers DA players have gone on to play in the MLS.

While we should all be happy for and proud of your son's opportunity and commitment to play at Orlando City, not being part of an MLS club, the Chargers SC is unable to provide free DA membership and I am told it currently charges $2,200.00 for its U15-16 and U17-18 players and $1,800.00 for its U13-14 players. Since they include all training, uniforms, gear, bus, airfare and lodging expenses, those fees are actually less than the combined club and team fees of similarly aged players whose non-DA teams travel to tournaments.

As a parent of a former Chargers DA member now playing at a DI university, I am happy with his decision to try out for the Chargers DA program and proud of his commitment to travel more than 2 hours per day in order to attend those training sessions. Even though he had previously played in Hillsborough County, our son's DI university offers all came from coaches who saw his play in Chargers DA games.

Say what you will, membership in a USSF DA program offers male players the best opportunity to play DI college soccer.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;1499455]Sorry, but we all know that several Chargers DA players have gone on to play in the MLS. QUOTE]

Name 1

Comment

Name 1
            Being able to name 4, I prefer to test your local soccer knowledge by asking you to identify by initials the former MLS rostered defender who had 7 U20 USMNT caps and whose Chargers DA run was cut short by his selection for the U17 USMNT residency program in Bradenton.

Comment

Being able to name 4, I prefer to test your local soccer knowledge by asking you to identify by initials the former MLS rostered defender who had 7 U20 USMNT caps and whose Chargers DA run was cut short by his selection for the U17 USMNT residency program in Bradenton.
              That was Anthony Wallace who was developed at SS and Brandon. While at Brandon was picked on the national youth teams.

MLS drafted Clearwater players:
              Zach MCMath - Developed by SS and didn't move to Clearwater till after U-14 and already was in the national youth team.
              Korey Veeder - Drafted by Columbus Crew, released, Developed by SS and didn't move to Clearwater till after U-14. Did not play a game in the MLS.
              Ben Sweat - Developed by Clearwater, drafted but got released.

So, don't get carried away by you so called DA Development. They have a tendency to claim other clubs development.

Comment

That was Anthony Wallace who was developed at SS and Brandon. While at Brandon was picked on the national youth teams.

Zach MCMath - Developed by SS and didn't move to Clearwater till after U-14 and already was in the national youth team.
                Korey Veeder - Drafted by Columbus Crew, released, Developed by SS and didn't move to Clearwater till after U-14. Did not play a game in the MLS.

So, don't get carried away by you so called DA Development. They have a tendency to claim other clubs development.
                Way to set it straight Hans

Comment

Actually, the correct answer was KV and not AW, you left out JA and WC (who you will say was developed by TBU) and you have failed to grasp that I haven't said one word about any so called DA Development.

Since it has always been designed to attract the best age appropriate male players from an area within a tolerable driving distance and, until recently, the DA program was limited to U15 and above, I would expect for the majority of DA program graduates (and for that matter current and future DA program members) to have originally been with clubs which didn't have a DA program.

What I have said, and will continue to say, is that the DA program provides male players with the best opportunity to play DI college soccer.

Comment

Actually, the correct answer was KV and not AW, you left out JA and WC (who you will say was developed by TBU) and you have failed to grasp that I haven't said one word about any so called DA Development.

Since it has always been designed to attract the best age appropriate male players from an area within a tolerable driving distance and, until recently, the DA program was limited to U15 and above, I would expect for the majority of DA program graduates (and for that matter current and future DA program members) to have originally been with clubs which didn't have a DA program.

What I have said, and will continue to say, is that the DA program provides male players with the best opportunity to play DI college soccer.
                    You are missing the point:
                    * Several players who can play D1, choose to play D2 or NAIA because of several reasons already discussed on this side.

It all depend what you want out of college. The charger academy does not have a good name when it comes to development in this area. Over 50% of their roster is players who were developed at other clubs and the charger staff is not very well respected.

Just check how many players go and leave after a year.

I never said the academy system is bad, I actually like it, just not at the Chargers.

Comment

Advise to Clearwater DA program, how to improve:

* Establish a working relationship with coaches at some of the other clubs like WFF and TBU to build your DA program.
                      * Instead of calling good players at other clubs, you should contact their coach first (out of courtesy) and ask to contact the player. (I know you are not obligated to do this, but believe me, it will go a long way).

* Get rid of the attitude that your program is the best option since the invention of sliced bread.

* Be up front during try-outs and give the parents the correct information, so they can make an educated decision to join your program (one of the problems have been, that they make a lot of promises and than do not deliver).

* Go by the slogan; Under promise, over deliver.

Comment

Zero success stories in 8 years with over 300 players coming through your DA. Zero National players, zero MLS players! Keep up the good work Chargers! Lol

Comment

You are missing the point:
                          * Several players who can play D1, choose to play D2 or NAIA because of several reasons already discussed on this side.

It all depend what you want out of college. The charger academy does not have a good name when it comes to development in this area. Over 50% of their roster is players who were developed at other clubs and the charger staff is not very well respected.

Just check how many players go and leave after a year.

I never said the academy system is bad, I actually like it, just not at the Chargers.
                          This thread began with a question about Chargers SC college signings for 2015 and, as I see it, you have attempted to move that focus to a bashing of the Chargers DA program.

I fully understand that family dynamics, substantial offers, family finances and/or grades may have a DII or NAIA school being a better fit and I have no problem with even the best of players choosing to play at other than DI colleges.

Just like players may have several reasons to play at DII or NAIA instead of DI colleges, players may have a number of reasons to not return to a DA program. Some parents may not be able to tolerate that they no longer have any input, the time and travel for training and games may be too much for the player or his family, school grades may be too adversely affected, playing time may be too diminished or a change of position may be unacceptable, one or more members of the DA coaching staff may not be approachable and/or may not be liked, the USSF dictated playing formations or training curriculum may not be liked, the player may believe he is in over his head or there may be an opportunity to play at another DA program or a non-DA club for less money or for free.

I get that you don't like it and there is nothing wrong with your having an opinion that is not favorable to the Chargers DA program. In fact, because of some other poster's wise crack, I had no problem with you referring to him as a "loser." However, there is also nothing wrong with my liking the Chargers DA program or with my objecting to your posting of what I believe is misleading information about development and concerning Chargers DA graduates and MLS teams and USMNT pools.

Even though I haven't yet addressed it, we can now debate your claim about development. Because you claim 50% of the Chargers DA roster was developed at other clubs, you must believe that development only occurs before a player reaches DA age. On the other hand, I believe there is development with every touch of the ball, every move away from the ball, every chalk talk and every film study throughout a player's soccer life. In my opinion, every DA player has been developed at every club of which he has ever been a member.

Therefore, and assuming for the sake of argument that your percentage is accurate, I believe your claim that more than 50% of the Chargers DA roster was developed at other clubs should be toned down and more accurately expressed as over 50% of the Chargers DA roster came from other clubs. Interestingly, since you must be a fan of the club and it has not existed as long as the Chargers SC, I believe it would also be appropriate for you to claim that far more than 50% of the Orlando City DA roster was developed at other clubs and appropriate for me to tone down and restate that claim as far more than 50% of the Orlando City DA roster came from other clubs.

With us both having a love for soccer, do we continue our debate or let it go? In any event, I wish your son the best of luck.

Comment

This thread began with a question about Chargers SC college signings for 2015 and, as I see it, you have attempted to move that focus to a bashing of the Chargers DA program.

I fully understand that family dynamics, substantial offers, family finances and/or grades may have a DII or NAIA school being a better fit and I have no problem with even the best of players choosing to play at other than DI colleges.

Just like players may have several reasons to play at DII or NAIA instead of DI colleges, players may have a number of reasons to not return to a DA program. Some parents may not be able to tolerate that they no longer have any input, the time and travel for training and games may be too much for the player or his family, school grades may be too adversely affected, playing time may be too diminished or a change of position may be unacceptable, one or more members of the DA coaching staff may not be approachable and/or may not be liked, the USSF dictated playing formations or training curriculum may not be liked, the player may believe he is in over his head or there may be an opportunity to play at another DA program or a non-DA club for less money or for free.

I get that you don't like it and there is nothing wrong with your having an opinion that is not favorable to the Chargers DA program. In fact, because of some other poster's wise crack, I had no problem with you referring to him as a "loser." However, there is also nothing wrong with my liking the Chargers DA program or with my objecting to your posting of what I believe is misleading information about development and concerning Chargers DA graduates and MLS teams and USMNT pools.

Even though I haven't yet addressed it, we can now debate your claim about development. Because you claim 50% of the Chargers DA roster was developed at other clubs, you must believe that development only occurs before a player reaches DA age. On the other hand, I believe there is development with every touch of the ball, every move away from the ball, every chalk talk and every film study throughout a player's soccer life. In my opinion, every DA player has been developed at every club of which he has ever been a member.

Therefore, and assuming for the sake of argument that your percentage is accurate, I believe your claim that more than 50% of the Chargers DA roster was developed at other clubs should be toned down and more accurately expressed as over 50% of the Chargers DA roster came from other clubs. Interestingly, since you must be a fan of the club and it has not existed as long as the Chargers SC, I believe it would also be appropriate for you to claim that far more than 50% of the Orlando City DA roster was developed at other clubs and appropriate for me to tone down and restate that claim as far more than 50% of the Orlando City DA roster came from other clubs.

With us both having a love for soccer, do we continue our debate or let it go? In any event, I wish your son the best of luck.
                            No one is saying a players choice to play DI, DII or NAIA is the wrong one. No one is saying the DA program or the time, finacial and US Soccer curriculum is a bad thing.

Collectively it seems the consensus is that the coaching staff and directors at the Chargers are inept in at developing talent or even producing a quality product.

It really is a shame too as there is a lot of talented players in the Tampa Bay area.

Comment

No one is saying a players choice to play DI, DII or NAIA is the wrong one. No one is saying the DA program or the time, finacial and US Soccer curriculum is a bad thing.

Collectively it seems the consensus is that the coaching staff and directors at the Chargers are inept in at developing talent or even producing a quality product.

It really is a shame too as there is a lot of talented players in the Tampa Bay area.
                              Collectively? A few TS trolls does not make a collective! From afar, through people I know that have kids there now and in the past, i see them satisfied with the training and exposure. That speaks volumes to me, not the uneducated opinions of some internet trolls.

Comment

One of the big problems at chargers is the following;

They lure players to try-out for the DA, then keep them in limbo for a while if they made the DA program. After try-outs at other clubs they tell the player you are on the CDL team. At that time it is to late to join another club.
                                This happened to several players over the years.
                                The problem you can not trust a word they say when you show up for the try-out.

That is one of the main reasons a lot of good players will not go there.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X