Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Yeah, keep parents away so we can't see how crappy the coaching and training has been. sorry, but we expect to actually see results for the money spent. what are you trying to hide?
    Define "results"?

Comment

I have two kids that have been playing competitive soccer for the last 5 years and I have only seen two games. The nanny takes them to all practices and most games. If she can't take them they ride with another parent. I don't know the color of their uniforms or if they are any good at all.

My kids love it and say the other parents are a pain at games. I tend to spend my weekends on the golf course or fishing. Weekend time is me time.

Let the kids play and have your own life, you bunch of losers....
      As much as you are trolling, there is a lot of truth in this. Except with a more healthy solution like acknowledging your kids exist and having a rotating car pool until you get them old enough to drive themselves.

Comment

Sure miss your kids memories that will be great that sound what I like to sign up for !

Comment

Yeah, keep parents away so we can't see how crappy the coaching and training has been. sorry, but we expect to actually see results for the money spent. what are you trying to hide?

I'm pretty sure the original post was tongue-in-cheek but your response is also probably why it was posted. Yes, there is a lot wrong with how we are doing youth sports. We pay a stupid amount of money for what is essentially rec sports from when we were young. They elect a board and hire someone to cal a director to make it seem more professional but it is moms and dads running a youth program.

The big sell is they are going to get your kid in front of college coaches so you need to make sure to play for this club so you can go to that tournament if you want to see a college coach. So you travel across the state to play teams that are based 20 minutes away. It is most certainly a scam.

But it exist because of parents. We have created the monster. We bought into the whole thing. We bad mouth other clubs, we bad mouth other kids, we hop clubs for the promise of greener grass and we keep paying the money. I am frequently amazed at the behavior I see on the sidelines. Even people I know are normal turn into idiots when the game starts. And it's not because of the game. It is all about their kid being on the right team, in the right position, at the right tournament etc. The parents create a lot of drama that wouldnt exist otherwise.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the original post was tongue-in-cheek but your response is also probably why it was posted. Yes, there is a lot wrong with how we are doing youth sports. We pay a stupid amount of money for what is essentially rec sports from when we were young. They elect a board and hire someone to cal a director to make it seem more professional but it is moms and dads running a youth program.

The big sell is they are going to get your kid in front of college coaches so you need to make sure to play for this club so you can go to that tournament if you want to see a college coach. So you travel across the state to play teams that are based 20 minutes away. It is most certainly a scam.

But it exist because of parents. We have created the monster. We bought into the whole thing. We bad mouth other clubs, we bad mouth other kids, we hop clubs for the promise of greener grass and we keep paying the money. I am frequently amazed at the behavior I see on the sidelines. Even people I know are normal turn into idiots when the game starts. And it's not because of the game. It is all about their kid being on the right team, in the right position, at the right tournament etc. The parents create a lot of drama that wouldnt exist otherwise.
            Very true and we need soccer leaders who will work together in geographic areas to change things for the better. Put aside the egos and make good things happen for the players. No parents want to spend every weekend traveling the state when their young U12 could play good local teams to develop. A tournament here or there is okay, but does my U12 at JFC need to travel to Clearwater and Boca.

Comment

I think you're right that parents have turned into monsters, and even seemingly normal people go ballistic, but, I don't think parents created this, I think clubs (DOC, BO, and CEOs) created this.

In the beginning (two decades ago?), a few well intended people started club soccer; better training with players seen with potential. However, it turned into a business for profit, and now many clubs are sleaze businesses for profit. It has been the club (DOC, BO, and CEOs), that have created monster parents by misleading them, working them up, and filling their heads with rhetoric.

You can blame this all on the parents, but the parents just wanted the best for their kids, and hoped and prayed (obviously blinded) that their kids would amount to college level or beyond soccer.

Fortunately, the word is getting out, and many more families are putting on the brakes and rethinking club soccer.

Comment

I think you're right that parents have turned into monsters, and even seemingly normal people go ballistic, but, I don't think parents created this, I think clubs (DOC, BO, and CEOs) created this.

In the beginning (two decades ago?), a few well intended people started club soccer; better training with players seen with potential. However, it turned into a business for profit, and now many clubs are sleaze businesses for profit. It has been the club (DOC, BO, and CEOs), that have created monster parents by misleading them, working them up, and filling their heads with rhetoric.

You can blame this all on the parents, but the parents just wanted the best for their kids, and hoped and prayed (obviously blinded) that their kids would amount to college level or beyond soccer.

Fortunately, the word is getting out, and many more families are putting on the brakes and rethinking club soccer.
                This is a very good analysis of what has happened in the last 20 years. Actually club soccer started earlier than that. The difference however is the emphasis on money.

As far as putting on the brakes? Don't brake, stop the car, get out and run away. It is not getting any better in spite of efforts by US Soccer and FYSA. A new generation of parents enters the game each year at U9. We just cant educate them all.

As parents all we can do is make sure the experience is player driven. Let the players decide what they like and dont like. It is supposed to be their game.

Comment

I do not think parents are concerned about the return as playing in college. Most parents of any athlete in any sport..gymnastics, swimming, baseball, are realistic about the odds of making the college or professional level. Someone did say there are at least 30,000 spots to fill for college soccer. Anyways, if a kid gets to that level with club soccer, and a few will , awesome!

Comment

I would never pay for my kids to play soccer if I could not enjoy their games even with the nonsense that happens it is worth it for me and my family.

Comment

The big sell is college... maybe for the newbies... we are past that. We just want to see some improvement over the course of the year. When you get to the end and they are still playing terrible soccer, the coach has failed. We are not expecting miracles, but please, at least step aside and let another coach come and try and do something. Clubs turn a blind eye. I bet only a few teams at each club are worth the fees they charge. The rest is organized recreational league in high cost kits.

You know the teams, when you go and play a real team at a tournament and get embarrassed, kids just get crushed. It is like watching another level and you say to yourself who the hell taught those kids to play so much better. You then realize how bad you have been ripped off. You have been playing rec, while real teams have been learning the game.

Comment

The big sell is college... maybe for the newbies... we are past that. We just want to see some improvement over the course of the year. When you get to the end and they are still playing terrible soccer, the coach has failed. We are not expecting miracles, but please, at least step aside and let another coach come and try and do something. Clubs turn a blind eye. I bet only a few teams at each club are worth the fees they charge. The rest is organized recreational league in high cost kits.

You know the teams, when you go and play a real team at a tournament and get embarrassed, kids just get crushed. It is like watching another level and you say to yourself who the hell taught those kids to play so much better. You then realize how bad you have been ripped off. You have been playing rec, while real teams have been learning the game.
                        Most coaches and teams have the same goals and want to get better. Some teams are better. It is how it is even if coaching is similar. And the better will get beaten by even better. Find a good coach and team and be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by unregistered View Post
                          i think you're right that parents have turned into monsters, and even seemingly normal people go ballistic, but, i don't think parents created this, i think clubs (doc, bo, and ceos) created this.

In the beginning (two decades ago?), a few well intended people started club soccer; better training with players seen with potential. However, it turned into a business for profit, and now many clubs are sleaze businesses for profit. It has been the club (doc, bo, and ceos), that have created monster parents by misleading them, working them up, and filling their heads with rhetoric.

it is not a soccer club issues it every sport issue unless you play golf !

Comment

I used to work with someone from Germany who told me she was shocked the fans were encouraged not to be more aggressive on the sidelines. She said, and I'm not saying I believe her, that even youth soccer over there the fans are brutal.
                            Apparently not as brutal as Pinecrest Parents. 16 of them Banned from games for 6 months!
                            ***???

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x
                            Working...
                            X