Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rough play

My daughter plays U12 Classic soccer. My observations during the last year lead me to believe that the degree of play allowed, and therefore condoned, by referees is too rough. Players are allowed to exert considerable upper body influence through leaning, pushing, and common use of elbows.

Growing up, I was under the impression that soccer was all about lower body control and footwork to create a players performance edge and that skill transcended physical frame size and and upper body build. Today, there appears to be an obvious advantage provided to taller/bigger players in the use of there upper body strength to create position through leaning, shoving, and elbowing.

Do I have an unrealistic expectation that soccer should not allow the degree of upper body rough play that I believe exists? What should parents and players reasonab;e expect?

I'm concerned about injury potential associated with rough play. Full contact sports exist for those who desire such outlets- football, wrestling, rugby.

Maybe I can understand.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    My daughter plays U12 Classic soccer. My observations during the last year lead me to believe that the degree of play allowed, and therefore condoned, by referees is too rough. Players are allowed to exert considerable upper body influence through leaning, pushing, and common use of elbows.

Growing up, I was under the impression that soccer was all about lower body control and footwork to create a players performance edge and that skill transcended physical frame size and and upper body build. Today, there appears to be an obvious advantage provided to taller/bigger players in the use of there upper body strength to create position through leaning, shoving, and elbowing.

Do I have an unrealistic expectation that soccer should not allow the degree of upper body rough play that I believe exists? What should parents and players reasonab;e expect?

I'm concerned about injury potential associated with rough play. Full contact sports exist for those who desire such outlets- football, wrestling, rugby.
    First off, soccer is as much of a contact sport as any others you listed. That is just a part of the game.

The greatest potential for injury however exists at the lower levels. As players get better they learn to control and protect their bodies. The dangerous level is when the kids lack these skills, and yet the ref doesn't control the game.

For coaches it is important, don't encourage slide tackling and other physical attacks until your kids are ready.

For refs, make sure the control you exert is inversely proportional to the skill level.

Comment

If you thought soccer was a non-physical sport you clearly have never watched it or played it. Size isn't everything, but at a young age it plays a large role simply because the faster a player develops physically the faster they can adjust and fully develop their skills.

From a referee point of view, upper body challenges are harder to see and a lot harder to gage on at the time. As they get older you will find that a lot more physical play is allowed but there is also much less forgiveness when tackling low.

Comment

Better Get Use to "IT"

This is not Rec any more. Touch is bad.

Players use their body for advantage on the field. Something is gets over played and things happen. Life is tough.

Just because they 'run in to each other' does not mean a foul.

Take a Referee Class or read the laws of the game. What you see is likely very different from the trained referee (some better than others).

Comment

You should do some research to confirm this but my impression is that soccer is one of the most injury-prone sports, especially for girls. As others have said, contact is part of the game and what you are now calling "rough play" could be perfectly legal. I've ref'ed some games for younger players and inevitably a perfectly legal tackle will bring about gasps from parents on the sidelines who don't know the rules.

What about volleyball?

Comment

Originally posted by TurfEater View Post
            You should do some research to confirm this but my impression is that soccer is one of the most injury-prone sports, especially for girls. As others have said, contact is part of the game and what you are now calling "rough play" could be perfectly legal. I've ref'ed some games for younger players and inevitably a perfectly legal tackle will bring about gasps from parents on the sidelines who don't know the rules.

What about volleyball?
            #1 in the world for head injuries among women sports.

Comment

The USA is still way behind the rest of the world when it comes to soccer physicality. But, to be fair, the officials are terrible in the USA. At every level of soccer!!!!

Comment

The USA is still way behind the rest of the world when it comes to soccer physicality. But, to be fair, the officials are terrible in the USA. At every level of soccer!!!!
                Yeah we saw how much better non-US refs are in the world cup! They were amazing, right?

Comment

Yeah we saw how much better non-US refs are in the world cup! They were amazing, right?
                  Don't get on the defensive!!!!!! If you think officials of soccer in the USA are good, you have been asleep the most of your life. Boo!!!! Wakey wakey!!!

Comment

Don't get on the defensive!!!!!! If you think officials of soccer in the USA are good, you have been asleep the most of your life. Boo!!!! Wakey wakey!!!
                    Wow there are some freaky people on this board. It does make it entertaining at times I guess.

Comment

I agree with this quote. It was entertaining watching the World Cup knowing that wherever you go, there are going to be ref's who suck! I was just amused that these clowns were supposed to be the best the world of soccer has to offer! Ha Ha Ha! What a joke!
                      I'm not getting defensive or anything like that, just pointing out the painfully obvious.

Comment

Wow there are some freaky people on this board. It does make it entertaining at times I guess.
                        I agree and it would appear that almost all of them are unregistered!!!!!

Beyond that, I agree with your observation about non-US refs!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ESUFC Fan View Post
                          I agree and it would appear that almost all of them are unregistered!!!!!

Beyond that, I agree with your observation about non-US refs!!!
                          Yeah, great name!!!!!!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X