Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of clubs go to USYS Regionals from CT?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kind of clubs go to USYS Regionals from CT?

A visitor from a less frequented board here. I'm wondering what kind of clubs go to the USYS regional competitions? Does it tend to be large clubs (500+ total players) with paid coaches and staff? Or are there any small clubs (<200 players) with volunteer coaches that participate?

I'm a club admin from a small, volunteer run club in a small state, wondering if it's worth pushing our exceptional teams to USYS State Cup and Regionals.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    A visitor from a less frequented board here. I'm wondering what kind of clubs go to the USYS regional competitions? Does it tend to be large clubs (500+ total players) with paid coaches and staff? Or are there any small clubs (<200 players) with volunteer coaches that participate?

I'm a club admin from a small, volunteer run club in a small state, wondering if it's worth pushing our exceptional teams to USYS State Cup and Regionals.
    Small states don’t have exceptional teams- but push your teams that’s your job

Comment

Small states don’t have exceptional teams- but push your teams that’s your job
      Exceptional can be relative. They are exceptional in comparison to our other teams. And my job? 1) you might have missed "all volunteer" 2) the reason I'm looking in to this is to work out if the coaches that have mentioned wanting do to this understand what they could be getting in to.

Ignoring your shade, do you have anything to add to the discussion? How about if I flip the question to give you the chance to throw more shade while being somewhat useful: can any clubs from small states (ME, VT, NH, etc) go USYS Regionals and not get blown out? Or Presidents Cup?

Comment

Has the team (s) played outside competition before and if so, how do they do? Being the tallest midget isn't a good gauge. Also, what would you hope to accomplish - what's the goal in doing it? Just getting better competition? You might achieve that with some decent tournaments. Are families on board for the extra travel and expenses?

Comment

Big clubs don't have their top teams play for USYS regionals. So its typically the big clubs 3rd team vs the small clubs best team so usually the small clubs will win.

Comment

Big clubs don't have their top teams play for USYS regionals. So its typically the big clubs 3rd team vs the small clubs best team so usually the small clubs will win.
            This is accurate in CT. The big 3 clubs do not participate. It is left to the smaller clubs. Most small clubs will have 1 age group that will stand out and be successful in this competition. This is pretty normal across USYS regional. Usually 1 off teams from the smaller clubs. They may have a stand out coach or several stand out players who make them successful but can’t be replicated at other age groups for said club.

Comment

Has the team (s) played outside competition before and if so, how do they do? Being the tallest midget isn't a good gauge. Also, what would you hope to accomplish - what's the goal in doing it? Just getting better competition? You might achieve that with some decent tournaments. Are families on board for the extra travel and expenses?
              At the moment the coaches want to explore options over and above state league play and in-state tournaments, so I'm exploring all options. I think better and/or more tournaments is where we will end up. I agree that players and families may not be keen on too much extra travel, especially multiple overnights.

Comment

Regionals

Back a few years ago 2014 I think Wallingford had a team of High School age boys that when to regional's and onto Nationals and came in 3rd. Wallingford Warriors.

Comment

This is accurate in CT. The big 3 clubs do not participate. It is left to the smaller clubs. Most small clubs will have 1 age group that will stand out and be successful in this competition. This is pretty normal across USYS regional. Usually 1 off teams from the smaller clubs. They may have a stand out coach or several stand out players who make them successful but can’t be replicated at other age groups for said club.
                  The Big 3 clubs? Who the hell are they? This is not the ACC, Big 10, or SEC. It’s YOUTH soccer.

Comment

Here you go:

https://www.usyouthsoccer.org/tourna...championships/

Sort by ages and gender and can see results and teams.

Comment

The Big 3 clubs? Who the hell are they? This is not the ACC, Big 10, or SEC. It’s YOUTH soccer.
                      OW - DA
                      CFC - ECNL/NPL
                      FSA - same
                      BS - DA

Those are the state's top clubs but none of the above are going to USYS. Everyone else plays in the rest of the alphabet soup leagues. Some are very good, others are not. Looking at who was at least year's I'd say the later applies to teams from CT. But, maybe that's the right level for the OP? Hard to say.

For the OP I'd go the tournament route. If you make USYS playoffs it's going into the summer and fielding teams gets to be a challenge.

Comment

From one of the smallest town clubs around and we took our team to the President's cup a few years ago. We played against Premier teams and town teams there and did not get blown out. Also, been on the sidelines of a few Regionals with Premier teams. It is 100% worth the experience, the weekend tournaments don't compare. Kids will love it and remember it forever.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X