Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All State Selections

Can anyone shed some light on the process of selecting players for All State. I'm assuming it's highly political.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Can anyone shed some light on the process of selecting players for All State. I'm assuming it's highly political.
    Actually its not...

Each coach from every team is sent a nomination form to fill out. So your kids varsity coach nominates players from their schools team. Then that nomination form is complied to include all players nominated (by their schools coach) on a ballot.

That ballot is sent to all varsity coaches in the respective division. The coaches then vote on their ballot for players listed by position from the nominations.

A first team vote is worth more points than a second team vote or honorable mention vote.

Its only political if your coach does not nominate a kid.

Comment

Actually its not...

Each coach from every team is sent a nomination form to fill out. So your kids varsity coach nominates players from their schools team. Then that nomination form is complied to include all players nominated (by their schools coach) on a ballot.

That ballot is sent to all varsity coaches in the respective division. The coaches then vote on their ballot for players listed by position from the nominations.

A first team vote is worth more points than a second team vote or honorable mention vote.

What does the nomination ballot contain? Stats and why the player deserves all state consideration?

Comment

Actually its not...

There is no honorable mention vote. Coaches have 2 votes for each position (and by position I mean 4 positions for defense, etc). Honorable mention is just a result of less total points. Top vote getters are first team, then second team, and there is a minimum number of votes for honorable mention.

Comment

When is the selection or more important when does it get announced?

Comment

Are player statistics included on the nomination ballots? If not, how do coaches make decisions on players they haven't seen?

Comment

Are player statistics included on the nomination ballots? If not, how do coaches make decisions on players they haven't seen?
              I doubt that coaches cast ballots from teams they didn't play. If statistics were the barometer then the choices would be predetermined.

Comment

I doubt that coaches cast ballots from teams they didn't play. If statistics were the barometer then the choices would be predetermined.
                Correct -

As a NHIAA coach, I don't cast a vote for a player on the ballot I have never seen, unless it was a case like Morgan Andrews (who was all world and I saw her play as a fan going to see her in action) when she was at Milford.

We put stats & reasoning for why & how a player belongs in consideration. Reality is, top teams get more All State kids in (typically 2 or 3) because they win and have more impressive stats while losing programs get one kid in, typically their best player.

Comment

From what I hear it is 100% political. Coaches vote based on what other coaches say. Exeter and Hanover used to call all the shots for boys selection as they were/are the old guard. Some coaches do not have the sway of the others....they all sit around a table and debate all state, all region and all american....

Comment

Correct -

As a NHIAA coach, I don't cast a vote for a player on the ballot I have never seen, unless it was a case like Morgan Andrews (who was all world and I saw her play as a fan going to see her in action) when she was at Milford.

We put stats & reasoning for why & how a player belongs in consideration. Reality is, top teams get more All State kids in (typically 2 or 3) because they win and have more impressive stats while losing programs get one kid in, typically their best player.
                    So stats are taken into play and included in the nominations?

Comment

From what I hear it is 100% political. Coaches vote based on what other coaches say. Exeter and Hanover used to call all the shots for boys selection as they were/are the old guard. Some coaches do not have the sway of the others....they all sit around a table and debate all state, all region and all american....
                      Partially correct. I'm sure there are some reciprocal voting (vote for x and I'll vote for y). Better teams definitely get more on...and probably should. But there is no round table discussion about all-state. Those votes are all online based on coach nominations and the info they provide.

All-region and american is different because they do actually speak on the behalf of players that are nominated. There is no discussion though. Just voting after they all speak.

Comment

So stats are taken into play and included in the nominations?
                        Its hard to quantify a nomination without the stats. Can't sell other coaches that a player with 5 goals and 4 assists should be All State vs. a player with 12 goals and 9 assists...

An all state goalie with 4 shutouts and a .751 save percentage vs. a goalie with 12 shutouts and a .894 saves percentage would not fly.

Comment

I am the coach that posted earlier - there is NO discussion about who makes All State or not in a round table manner other than if there is a tie (based on the votes total for a player) for if they get 1st team, second team, or HM. That's the only discussions about all state. The players get on based on the votes and the coaches present only discuss the tie breakers.

As for All Region & All American nominations that's only for NHIAA coaches that are also NSCAA (Now USCA) member coaches. They make a case for nominating their own players for the honor of All Region.

Comment

AND if your own coach does not nominate you, you can't be even considered for all state, no matter your statistics.

Comment

AND if your own coach does not nominate you, you can't be even considered for all state, no matter your statistics.
                              Correct - if your coach does not put you on their nomination sheet - you won't be on the ballot. 99% of coaches have their best players on the ballot. In 12 years I have never seen a ballot with a player missing who was clearly the best at their position or best on the team.

If your coach does not nominate you or your kid, its most likely because the player is not as good as they think they are - or as good as mom and dad think they are.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X