Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Good for Woodburn to win the 4A level. The local community's commitment to having girls play youth soccer paved the way for this championship to happen.
    The community doesn't get any credit. Less than 20 people do. Who did it IN SPITE of a lot of people in the community. These girls had to win a championship before the school district would even entertain the idea of them RENTING their turf field. And a school gym for winter indoor practice, forget about it.

Comment

OSAA prepared to enact "Woodburn Rule."

Too late for Stayton, Marist, Gladstone, North Marion, et. al. but from looking at some OSAA minutes looks like they are changing some rules on teams playing down and will have automatic returns to original classification based on a "Dominant Team" declaration. Under the change Woodburn boys would/will have to go back for winning two championships. Since the girls "only" made a play in game last year and won this year they don't have enough "points" for an automatic return.

Fact is, the 2018 Woodburn Boys won the 2017 5A and would have handily won again at 5A. No need for them to get an * but they do. From what I read this looks like some no brainer common sense changes.

Comment

Oh please, Marist dad. Your school won the 5a state title in girls basketball the year before you dropped down. Your girls soccer team was making runs into the 5a playoffs every year before you dropped down. Your softball team had multiple D1 commits and made deep runs into the playoffs before you dropped down. Your girls track and XC teams were among the best in the state in 5a before you dropped down. And you dominated the rich kids sports (tennis and golf) before you dropped down. If you want to cry to someone, cry to your AD who campaigned for you to drop down because you stink in football.

Socioeconomic status (look it up) matters. Your kids all - universally - have the money to do club, ODP, regionals camps, out of state tournaments, private lessons, whatever they want. There are no barriers to their success other than their own willingness and work ethic. Woodburn has a pickup club launched by moms and dads.

Instead of grousing about your privileged girls losing to the poor kids' school, you oughta thank your lucky stars that Oregon doesn't do what most other states do, and put the private schools in their own league. Because if they did you wouldn't have even made the finals. So take your L and be thankful that your players learned an important life lesson - money can't buy everything.
        I’m not a Marist dad, but I am the original poster. After reading this reply and another one written about woodburns issues with even being allowed to use the schools turf or gym I personally retract my post. I usually never change my mind about these things but have served to make your point and I am in agreement Woodburn girls do deserve the award despite being 4A. Thank you for pointing out Marists advantages economically and the difference between them and Woodburns continued struggles. I hope this championship changes the schools view of the girls and gives them the ability to be treated fairly. I’ve seen Woodburns socioeconomic stats and this championship could mean all the difference.

Comment

The community doesn't get any credit. Less than 20 people do. Who did it IN SPITE of a lot of people in the community. These girls had to win a championship before the school district would even entertain the idea of them RENTING their turf field. And a school gym for winter indoor practice, forget about it.
          Why would the school district not permit the school's sports teams to use the school's facilities after hours? Is it a matter of money--the school can't simply afford to pay to keep the lights on outside of school hours, or something like that? Or something more pernicious?

Comment

Why would the school district not permit the school's sports teams to use the school's facilities after hours? Is it a matter of money--the school can't simply afford to pay to keep the lights on outside of school hours, or something like that? Or something more pernicious?
            The club team wasn't allowed. The same one that produced the majority of the girls that won the championship.

Comment

Looks like OYSA is enacting a new rule called "Dominate Sport" that will make that sport return to it's previous classification.

Comment

Looks like OYSA is enacting a new rule called "Dominate Sport" that will make that sport return to it's previous classification.
                What about a private school that always dominates at a lower than 6A? Will they have to move up?

Comment

What about a private school that always dominates at a lower than 6A? Will they have to move up?
                  Hope so, would be awesome to watch Muffy and Biff have to actually compete for a State title!!

Comment

Looks like OSAA is enacting a new rule called "Dominate Sport" that will make that sport return to it's previous classification.
                    Done deal. Woodburn boys back to 5A. What a disgrace by OSAA letting them drop in the first place. It's too late for the poor kids that got screwed over but at least it's being fixed before more kids get hurt. Girls will win again in 2020 and be back to 5A in 21.

Comment

Done deal. Woodburn boys back to 5A. What a disgrace by OSAA letting them drop in the first place. It's too late for the poor kids that got screwed over but at least it's being fixed before more kids get hurt. Girls will win again in 2020 and be back to 5A in 21.
                      Just tell the parents and kids that OSSA is doing pro/rel, and they just got promoted to the second tier from the third. This should be a moment of celebration!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      Working...
                      X