Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

11v11

My daughter moves to the 11v11 this fall and we are worried about her adjusting. She is not very fast but has a very high soccer IQ and can read the game better than anyone on her team. She plays midfielder position, work rate is very good, she wins almost all possession, very aggressive behind the ball, pretty much unstoppable. Coaches have been very happy with her on the small field but I’m worried her one and only downfall is lack of speed. She is fast, not the fastest on her team, but worried that could pose a problem. Can anyone offer any insight?

Get her set up with Danny G. Problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      My daughter moves to the 11v11 this fall and we are worried about her adjusting. She is not very fast but has a very high soccer IQ and can read the game better than anyone on her team. She plays midfielder position, work rate is very good, she wins almost all possession, very aggressive behind the ball, pretty much unstoppable. Coaches have been very happy with her on the small field but I’m worried her one and only downfall is lack of speed. She is fast, not the fastest on her team, but worried that could pose a problem. Can anyone offer any insight?
      Sign her up for DA

Comment

Sign her up for DA
        Worry more about goal kicks failing to clear the box or corners struggling to reach the box.

Completely stupid how early we put kids on an adult field.

Comment

Worry more about goal kicks failing to clear the box or corners struggling to reach the box.

Completely stupid how early we put kids on an adult field.
          U13 is too early?

Comment

U13 is too early?
            Exactly. Almost all leagues move at u13 now, not uU12, which is a good thing. Depending on where she is in puberty that could be part of her struggle vs others. This is a tough period with kids growing at different rates. You said she's fast just not the fastest? That really isn't an issue and I wouldn't worry yet. She's still young. If it starts to become a clear issue later, working with a specialized trainer could help identify weak spots in her form. Also, what elements of speed does she struggle with? Starting, short distances, longer distances? A trainer and her working at it can help her improve, but she'll never be a track star. Finding the right position for her to emphasize her strengths and reduce the weaknesses matters too. But her game knowledge and mental toughness will serve her well.

Comment

U13 is too early?
              Are they playing in Fenway at that age?
              9v9 until u15-pass and move
              And don’t prattle on about high school readiness
              The game is exactly the same at 9v9-pass and move

The game doesn’t change when you play 6v6 at older ages either-pass and move

Comment

Disagree. I watched horrible 9v9 games in 06 premiership this spring. Big, strong teams were rewarded for booting the ball long, punts and goal kicks were breakaway opportunities. The ball was played over the midfield consistently and if it wasn't then even the most skilled players had two players on them immediately. I get this Idea of small games and tight fields but teams weren't hurt because of overcommits, they can recover too fast. That said...the teams that learned over the years to play technically will be much farther ahead once they hit the big field

Comment

But that isn't how it works here so you have to help your kid figure out under real life constraints

Comment

I could buy the argument to delay 11v11 for one more year, maybe. That first year on a big field takes a lot of adjusting and the game does get stretched out too often.

You start to see, for the first time, more of a % of kids have hit puberty. So, at this age this is the first big physical gap. An extra year will level it a bit.

Goal sizes are a problem. Right now many kids just shoot high since the keepers can't sniff the bar...

As for the OP, kinda' confusing there. She's not very fast, she's fast, lack of speed... I wouldn't worry about speed, there's ways around it if you lack it and are intelligent enough.

Johan Cruyff: "What is speed? The sports press often confuses speed with insight. See, if I start running slightly earlier than someone else, I seem faster."

Basically, if you read the game better and can tell where a ball is going to be played sooner than everyone else, and you are stronger once you get there, you'll make up the 2-3 steps you may be lacking.

Comment

I could buy the argument to delay 11v11 for one more year, maybe. That first year on a big field takes a lot of adjusting and the game does get stretched out too often.

You start to see, for the first time, more of a % of kids have hit puberty. So, at this age this is the first big physical gap. An extra year will level it a bit.

Goal sizes are a problem. Right now many kids just shoot high since the keepers can't sniff the bar...

As for the OP, kinda' confusing there. She's not very fast, she's fast, lack of speed... I wouldn't worry about speed, there's ways around it if you lack it and are intelligent enough.

Johan Cruyff: "What is speed? The sports press often confuses speed with insight. See, if I start running slightly earlier than someone else, I seem faster."

Basically, if you read the game better and can tell where a ball is going to be played sooner than everyone else, and you are stronger once you get there, you'll make up the 2-3 steps you may be lacking.
                      OP is a troll, but the discussion is still worthy

Comment

Disagree. I watched horrible 9v9 games in 06 premiership this spring. Big, strong teams were rewarded for booting the ball long, punts and goal kicks were breakaway opportunities. The ball was played over the midfield consistently and if it wasn't then even the most skilled players had two players on them immediately. I get this Idea of small games and tight fields but teams weren't hurt because of overcommits, they can recover too fast. That said...the teams that learned over the years to play technically will be much farther ahead once they hit the big field
                        All they do is run longer after “booting” the ball.
                        Fast, but not skilled teams, will become even more dominant on a big field.
                        Big fields, at too early an age, are a complete waste of training

Comment

But that isn't how it works here so you have to help your kid figure out under real life constraints
                          ??????

Comment

Are her coaches worries about this? If not then you shouldn't worry about it. What level team is this? Bottom line is speed matters on the big field but so do other things like size, physicality, soccer IQ, decision making, 1st touch, foot skills, passing ability etc etc..

Comment

All they do is run longer after “booting” the ball.
                              Fast, but not skilled teams, will become even more dominant on a big field.
                              Big fields, at too early an age, are a complete waste of training
                              Still disagree. Fast teams can be minimized by possession and team defense. Its funny to watch a team with straight ahead speed keep sending the ball long and having it intercepted. Long balls don't win games on big fields but can on a small one. (we can debate whether winning matters at either age though) Agree that big field at an early age are dumb, but an athletic team of 12 year olds can compete on a bigger field.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X