• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I would remove “idiot” coaches as that implies there is discrimination
    Idiots' lives matter.

Comment

I've got a lot of athletic nieces and nephews that play different sports. I see their teams doing much more fundraising. (they hit us up all the time :) ) You almost never see a club soccer club team fund raising. More affluent families would rather just write a check than have to put in some volunteer hours. We see it all the time on our town programs too that are largely volunteer run. Many are "too busy" to help so it's the same people volunteering all over.
      Fundraising is not the answer. People will donate yo help with food, shelter, medical care, some educational opportunities. A luxury item like fancy youth sports is a very tough ask. ( Except maybe for relatives)

Costs would need to be lowered to expand the pool of players to more lower income kids. Don't see that happening any time soon if ever for girls. Some boys do have access to mls academies.

Comment

Fundraising is not the answer. People will donate yo help with food, shelter, medical care, some educational opportunities. A luxury item like fancy youth sports is a very tough ask. ( Except maybe for relatives)

Costs would need to be lowered to expand the pool of players to more lower income kids. Don't see that happening any time soon if ever for girls. Some boys do have access to mls academies.
        NEFC and FC Stars offer generous financial aid award to families who can't afford to pay the thousands... They do fundraising to make this happen.

Comment

NEFC and FC Stars offer generous financial aid award to families who can't afford to pay the thousands... They do fundraising to make this happen.
          They cover the travel costs for the players? What is the income cut off?

Comment

They cover the travel costs for the players? What is the income cut off?
            No, travel costs are not included, but I am sure that they do their best to help kids get to tournaments and such. I don't think it would be possible for families who are dirt poor, but possible for families who are lower income. Not sure the income guidelines.

Comment

No, travel costs are not included, but I am sure that they do their best to help kids get to tournaments and such. I don't think it would be possible for families who are dirt poor, but possible for families who are lower income. Not sure the income guidelines.
              You are dreaming. The travel is the biggest obstacle in our dumb system. Where in the rest of the world do they invest thousands of travel dollars per young player as they teach them how to play the game well. No where. That is not the investment that pays off and it is wasteful and destructive.

Comment

Ironic as soccer is the most accessible sport to the “dirt” poor in the world.

What defines “dirt poor” btw?

Comment

High level youth sports are not for poor kids here by design. They are engineered to extract dollars by providing a status symbol. Is what it is. My kid does it. I can see what it is and I participate but I don't pretend it is something it is not.

Comment

I’m guessing living paycheck to paycheck and having no money for soccer beyond recreational level. We have heard stories of kids in other countries who are poor and still manage to get noticed by someone. They aren’t paying thousands.

Comment

I’m guessing living paycheck to paycheck and having no money for soccer beyond recreational level. We have heard stories of kids in other countries who are poor and still manage to get noticed by someone. They aren’t paying thousands.
                      Correct. They just play.
                      And the iphone is the single biggest advancement in the get noticed game in history.
                      No more unicorns

Comment

There's also far more clubs and coaches internationally to do scouting or just "hear" about a kid. The infrastructure is there. Good games can be had with very little travel. Geography and good public transportation make it easier and much cheaper. Clubs can profit off their home growns unlike here so they're more motivated to spend some $ in players they think have it.

Comment

For pete's sake, or anyone elses. Futbal is an international sport. The rest of the world has residential academies for potential professionals. She's right on. In the USA, it's pay to play, or drive to play. Only residential academies can create the level of player necessary at the highest level.

Look at Cavani, Beckham, Neymar, Messi, Ronaldo, Erikson, Mueller, Ronaldino, Ronaldo, Kaka, Pele, Maradona ... They did not spend 4 hours a week at 15 years of age training. They spent 10-20 hours per week at 16 in an academy they lived at or near.

They did NOT have college aspirations, or made the choice to pursue their pro careers by 17.

That 's the way to make pros. So stop the whining and realize we're all playing recreational soccer here.

Comment

For pete's sake, or anyone elses. Futbal is an international sport. The rest of the world has residential academies for potential professionals. She's right on. In the USA, it's pay to play, or drive to play. Only residential academies can create the level of player necessary at the highest level.

Look at Cavani, Beckham, Neymar, Messi, Ronaldo, Erikson, Mueller, Ronaldino, Ronaldo, Kaka, Pele, Maradona ... They did not spend 4 hours a week at 15 years of age training. They spent 10-20 hours per week at 16 in an academy they lived at or near.

They did NOT have college aspirations, or made the choice to pursue their pro careers by 17.

That 's the way to make pros. So stop the whining and realize we're all playing recreational soccer here.
                            The point is that the rich Super-Elite DC United rostered kids are there for status, not for the game itself. No one at the Super-Elite level will compromise on college, nor do they have to. They bottle up the sports access in this country from those who would actually go pro and profit by it. This is soccer in the U S of A

Comment

BS. I know plenty of low income players who tried out for NEFC and were not given any scholarship. It is need and ability based, not need based. No scholarships on regional B teams...

Comment

Read this about a club in Mexico. This is what we're competing against on the international stage. DA is a joke in comparison, and probably 75% of BDA and almost all of GDA is pay to play.

A Nightmare for Mexico’s Soccer Opponents: More Chuckys On the Way https://nyti.ms/2N4ser1

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X