•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Hope Right?

Soccer in the US is a rich white-kids sport

https://twitter.com/hashtagsports/st...62923050573824

Her numbers are off but the message still is valid. Soccer is predominantly a middle-upper income sport. MLS clubs are the only place (mostly ) diverse talent wins out over your parents bank account

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Her numbers are off but the message still is valid. Soccer is predominantly a middle-upper income sport. MLS clubs are the only place (mostly ) diverse talent wins out over your parents bank account
      Pay to play.

Comment

Pay to play.
        She's 100% right. On average, $3,000 + uniforms+ travel expenses per season, per child!!
        and.....to coaches who are for the most part, idiots!!

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
          She's 100% right. On average, $3,000 + uniforms+ travel expenses per season, per child!!
          In New England, it largely is.

Comment

In New England, it largely is.
            Not just here.

Comment

I would remove the "white" as that implies there is discrimination. There is a pay wall, and it is a suburban rich kids sport, but I don't see policies blocking anyone based on ethnicity.

Comment

I would remove the "white" as that implies there is discrimination. There is a pay wall, and it is a suburban rich kids sport, but I don't see policies blocking anyone based on ethnicity.
                Story plays better if you make it racial

Comment

I am just asking. Does anyone know what it costs to play AAU basketball or whatever leagues minority basketball players play in? And how do they afford it? And why isn't that happening in soccer? Maybe it is and they just aren't as interested.

Comment

I am just asking. Does anyone know what it costs to play AAU basketball or whatever leagues minority basketball players play in? And how do they afford it? And why isn't that happening in soccer? Maybe it is and they just aren't as interested.
                    https://defpen.com/the-true-cost-of-aau-basketball/

AAU seems to be expensive, but...

On the other end of the spectrum, not every AAU team comes with a huge price tag. There are teams across the country that are either sponsored by major shoe companies or are run by non-profit groups and as a result, cover all costs for their players. Jordan plays 17u for Greenwood Elite in Michigan and pays absolutely nothing to play on his team. Greenwood Elite not only takes care of the tournament entry fees but also pays for the hotels, flights and three meals a day for their players.

Comment

I would remove “idiot” coaches as that implies there is discrimination

Comment

Soccer in the US is a rich white-kids sport

https://twitter.com/hashtagsports/st...62923050573824
                        It does not have to be.
                        Useless discussion as long as black athletes prefer basketball.
                        Nature vs nurture, perhaps?

Comment

Story plays better if you make it racial
                          But household income is highly correlated by race, driven by education, poverty opportunities etc. That's part of a national issue which is reflected in soccer being a sport for middle to upper income families.

Comment

It does not have to be.
                            Useless discussion as long as black athletes prefer basketball.
                            Nature vs nurture, perhaps?
                            Basketball is cultural. When all your friends play and you follow LeBron and the other stars that's what you play.

Comment

I've got a lot of athletic nieces and nephews that play different sports. I see their teams doing much more fundraising. (they hit us up all the time :) ) You almost never see a club soccer club team fund raising. More affluent families would rather just write a check than have to put in some volunteer hours. We see it all the time on our town programs too that are largely volunteer run. Many are "too busy" to help so it's the same people volunteering all over.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X