Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Wrong. Relatively new coach at Maryland who had surprising - because of the league - success at Harvard before he was lured to Maryland. He is building the program. Great guy too.
    Being successful in the Ivy's is a bit different. Agreed, good coach. But you do have to consider who he is up against for talent and recruiting.

Comment

This is also where we dont help each other enough. Good honest unbiased information would be great, but there are just too many agendas. You need to lean on your Club resources as well but remember, some coaches like to push players in a certain direction for their own benefit.
      True that. When my son was being recruited for another sport another family warned us about a coach he was working with. Thankful they gave us the heads up and they were right. Guy was a smooth talker, full sh!!

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
        Excellent question. This is where a parent really needs to clue in on what the coach is saying and whether or not they are credible. Some college coaches are like used care salesmen. Teens, especially the younger you get, aren't going to be able to suss that out very well. they also tend to gloss over information and concentrate on the "Oh he likes me" part of the relationship. Doing some research on their old rosters can be helpful (you can find them online). Does he normally bring in big classes? How long do players last typically on the team? (obviously you want to avoid high turnover teams). How long has the coach been in place? What's the skew across the 4 classes on the roster (large number of seniors graduating)? Even check obvious sources like TDS or other websites to see if other players are saying they are committed to the same school. You can't always avoid it, but doing careful homework can lessen the odds.
        I am not saying doing this is not smart. I am saying that no matter how you try, it often doesn’t matter. Coaches cycle through more quickly than other jobs. If the team isn’t having success, it’s a good guess that the coach will be out. If the team is having success, there’s a chance the coach will be poached. I will add that there is a lot of attrition in college on women’s soccer teams.

Comment

I am not saying doing this is not smart. I am saying that no matter how you try, it often doesn’t matter. Coaches cycle through more quickly than other jobs. If the team isn’t having success, it’s a good guess that the coach will be out. If the team is having success, there’s a chance the coach will be poached. I will add that there is a lot of attrition in college on women’s soccer teams.

not at the top end.

Comment

A lot of parents fall for the flattery involved in recruiting and just never think beyond “someone wants my kid” and never bother to look at other options that might also be viable options for them. Usually the front runners in most conferences have stability on their coaching staffs while the the perennial bottom dwellers usually don’t. Sometimes looking at a comparably ranked profram but more successful in its conference is the way to go.

Comment

Op here and yes, tenure matters. A young up and coming coach is more likely to keep trying to move up, especially if he has been successful. Older guy who has kids/family in the area more likely to stay (if team is doing fine)

Comment

not at the top end.
                What are you talking about? It wasn't too long ago that Maryland was a perennial top 25 program, as was Memphis for that matter.

Comment

What are you talking about? It wasn't too long ago that Maryland was a perennial top 25 program, as was Memphis for that matter.
                  The resident know it all is referring solely to 20 or so programs out 334 D1 women`s programs. Ignore him.

Comment

Please stop with the early recruitment bashing and pro academic ranting. If a kid wanted to go to and had the grades to get admitted to an elite D3 academic institution they would, folks like some of you don't need to keep pushing the agenda. At this point most who visit the site get that you are big fans of D3. At that level you simply quit the team if the situation gets messy. At the D1 level it's not that simple. Nothing will screw a family's finances up worse than having a new coach come in a rip up their deal. It happens at D1 all the time and has very little to do with early recruitment. When you see a big recruiting class at the D1 level it usually means that there is some sort of transition going on within the program. Think about why a coach would want to turn over a roster. Good chance either it has a new coach or the existing coach is being put to the challenge by an AD. Neither are situations you probably want your kid involved with. If you knew enough to do your homework on the programs you were targeting there is a good chance you would see the warning signs and choose to ignore such programs even if they are a great academic fit. The sort of advice that puts academics above figuring out what is going on in the soccer program is precisely how you end up getting screwed by these types of situations.
                    Shut up, BTNT.

Comment

Please stop with the early recruitment bashing and pro academic ranting. If a kid wanted to go to and had the grades to get admitted to an elite D3 academic institution they would, folks like some of you don't need to keep pushing the agenda. At this point most who visit the site get that you are big fans of D3. At that level you simply quit the team if the situation gets messy. At the D1 level it's not that simple. Nothing will screw a family's finances up worse than having a new coach come in a rip up their deal. It happens at D1 all the time and has very little to do with early recruitment. When you see a big recruiting class at the D1 level it usually means that there is some sort of transition going on within the program. Think about why a coach would want to turn over a roster. Good chance either it has a new coach or the existing coach is being put to the challenge by an AD. Neither are situations you probably want your kid involved with. If you knew enough to do your homework on the programs you were targeting there is a good chance you would see the warning signs and choose to ignore such programs even if they are a great academic fit. The sort of advice that puts academics above figuring out what is going on in the soccer program is precisely how you end up getting screwed by these types of situations.

This is a good post but too angry.

1. If a D1 soccer scholarship is the only way a kid is going to get into school, then I submit that the family hasn't looked hard enough. 40-60% of D3 kids are getting financial aid...hence why the rest of us have to pay so freaking much.
                      2. D1 soccer scholarships range from 1-2K to the very rare full boats. For the latter, your kid better be great. For the former, he/she can likely get the same or more help from a D3 school.....or even some non-athletic scholarship at a D1 school
                      3. If your kid has some smarts then it is about the academics and the family should work a bit harder and investigate a bit more how to get money from the better academic school.

The big recruiting classes are protection for the coach and concern for the players. However, there is the following:
                      1. The commitment isn't really final until the paper is signed and there is always a rush to beat out the other school. Therefore coaches make early and frequent commitments in hopes of developing the program....all the while realizing that some may not come and others may not work out well.
                      2. If a coach recruits 15 then he/she hopes that 5-7 will have some impact on the program.
                      3. If the coach recruits 15 then I can assure you that 12 of these could probably find more money in non-athletic grants than they will from the soccer pocket.
                      4. For the kid, once in the school, they are in the school regardless of the sport. This is why it is important to consider what the ultimate goal is.
                      5. Stronger programs (academic and soccer eg. Duke) don't have to worry too much since they will get what they want. Weaker programs have to beg more.....

From the family perspective, one should plan for it and put away money for school ahead of time. This would be a good business opportunity to hire someone to seek out all the avenues or the client to get money to help pay for school.

Comment

Shut up, BTNT.
                        Whoever posted it is right underneath it all. Families get caught unexpectedly short when a scholarship dries up - cut, quit, coach just takes your $ away for a shiny new freshman. Yes there are some conferences that guarantee all four years, but they are top conferences that not many local players are in. If you're an impact player getting tons of PT and $, probably won't happen. If that doesn't describe you then you're on the bubble. Any and all are on the bubble if a new coach comes in and wants to clear house. If you commit as a freshman/early sophomore, what's the likelihood the same guy is coaching going into your junior year of college? By then you don't want to leave the school, but can you do it without 50% of the bill paid for?

Comment

Whoever posted it is right underneath it all. Families get caught unexpectedly short when a scholarship dries up - cut, quit, coach just takes your $ away for a shiny new freshman. Yes there are some conferences that guarantee all four years, but they are top conferences that not many local players are in. If you're an impact player getting tons of PT and $, probably won't happen. If that doesn't describe you then you're on the bubble. Any and all are on the bubble if a new coach comes in and wants to clear house. If you commit as a freshman/early sophomore, what's the likelihood the same guy is coaching going into your junior year of college? By then you don't want to leave the school, but can you do it without 50% of the bill paid for?
                          You guys always miss the point with BTNT. He writes whatever is most disparaging at the time with complete contradictions and inconsistency. In this case, it looks on the surface like he is being realistic and sober about the realities of D1. And yet he spends all of his time pushing D1 and cracking on anyone who mentions D3. He also grossly overstates these families relying on big athletic scholarships as though they are ghetto kids who will never attend college without the scholarship. Of course then he also says the demands of D1 make getting the education hard with lots of doors closed in terms of courses and majors....until, of course, he slams D3 and says D1 schools offer better academics and more opportunities. He is only about HIS narcissism and his disparagement of YOU/US.

Comment

You guys always miss the point with BTNT. He writes whatever is most disparaging at the time with complete contradictions and inconsistency. In this case, it looks on the surface like he is being realistic and sober about the realities of D1. And yet he spends all of his time pushing D1 and cracking on anyone who mentions D3. He also grossly overstates these families relying on big athletic scholarships as though they are ghetto kids who will never attend college without the scholarship. Of course then he also says the demands of D1 make getting the education hard with lots of doors closed in terms of courses and majors....until, of course, he slams D3 and says D1 schools offer better academics and more opportunities. He is only about HIS narcissism and his disparagement of YOU/US.
                            Couldn't agree more, glad someone else gets it. And no, btdt I'm not the person who posted the above.

I stumbled on TS when my kid started club soccer and I was trying to figure things out. His point of view is so destructive, and because I absorbed some of his pov I almost derailed my kid's "career". It turns out, now in high school, my kid is a very strong player, much stronger than I ever realized because I thought all parents were deluded, and most club players were crap. It is why I'm one of those who often calls him out.

Comment

Couldn't agree more, glad someone else gets it. And no, btdt I'm not the person who posted the above.

I stumbled on TS when my kid started club soccer and I was trying to figure things out. His point of view is so destructive, and because I absorbed some of his pov I almost derailed my kid's "career". It turns out, now in high school, my kid is a very strong player, much stronger than I ever realized because I thought all parents were deluded, and most club players were crap. It is why I'm one of those who often calls him out.
                              Your first mistake was listening to anyone on an anonymous forum. If parents are uncertain about their kids' potential seek out some expert opinions IRL. There are people out there who want to help, and they're not all nuts or saying things just to make money off you

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                                Op here and yes, tenure matters. A young up and coming coach is more likely to keep trying to move up, especially if he has been successful. Older guy who has kids/family in the area more likely to stay (if team is doing fine)
                                Right if the team is doing fine.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X