Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    The problem for GDA is that they are not the highest level of soccer and it is NOT worth the commitment (of money, time, and personal sacrifice). Had they listened to people, they would have started much smaller (fewer clubs) and only at U12 or U13 (to allow HS aged kids to finish their current process in ECNL or wherever) and then built up gradually. It may not even be practical in out country to have so few teams, but I would think if GDA were doing it right in the Northeast, there would only be 6-8 teams between Boston and Northern VA. There is nothing elite about GDA in its current form and it is not worth the $ or the commitment. Taking a bunch of teams at or below NPL level and slapping a patch on their sleeves do not make the players, coaches, nor the clubs elite. Top clubs that committed were left with a really sour taste of being duped and will not fall for it again. They will never give anything up to foray into USSF again. Unless USSF makes it simple and without sacrifice for these clubs, ECNL is now the de facto top league again.
    Wasn’t the original draw I’d DA about pathway to the national team? Not that anyone here will be affected, but isn’t it still true they will draw from their own league first. All things equal DA is the better choice if you think you have that talent. For 99.9999 ECNL and high school play is best but DA still holds NT card

Comment

Crossfire Premier officially out of GDA. Huge hit for GDA, and major coup for ECNL.

http://www.eliteclubsnationalleague....n-for-2019-20/

Comment

Wasn’t the original draw I’d DA about pathway to the national team? Not that anyone here will be affected, but isn’t it still true they will draw from their own league first. All things equal DA is the better choice if you think you have that talent. For 99.9999 ECNL and high school play is best but DA still holds NT card
        In GDA's current state going into next season (I expect many remaining DA clubs will not lose their best talent to the best teams in ECNL in their region), they would vote themselves off of the island if they chose the majority of NT players from their own sorry league. This is the biggest issue with USSF now .... they do a poor job of finding or evaluating talent for their top teams. The men have been putrid for the past 5 years and if the women lose thier statue as the top team in the world because of this it will be on them and I think they will really pay the price. If they do a worse job in the future, they will get impeached! :)

Comment

Stars didn't market heavily for DA. They divided the talent. They were not competitive as a result. JD, being on the ECNL Board, could never have gone all in with the DA. Outside of our region the GDA was not bad with the top level teams.
          In our region, the teams with the exception of NEFC (Breakers last year), Oakwood (a few good teams) and NYCFC (a few of their teams were very good last year), weren't very good. Fury/Albertson's wasn't bad and is much better this year.
          ^^This

Comment

No they are not. Neither are.

They misjudged treating the girls like the boys in their market analysis.
            its a lot deeper than that. They misjudged

Clubs conflicting agendas
            Number of elite players
            Travel
            Cost

They dont treat the boys like girls. Thats not possible as part of the boys agenda is a viable professional agenda.

Womens soccer in the US is a sport where all the money is made at Youth Club level so every private entity is all about increasing numbers and market share. Its not about developing players for someone else to use.

The USSF are finding out that "do it for the honor or repping the USA" counts for nothing vs dollars and cents

Add to that the leadership vacuum on the womens side, the poor youth results and the lack of accountability and you have a NT carrot that is not only rotten, but clearly rotten. If you were looking at the youth teams for an indication that the GDA is having an impact on quality, coaching and selections you quickly realize that nothing has changed.

In light of all of that, if you have a choice, then why bother with the more restrictive option?

Comment

They also misjudged the strength of ECNL. They didn't have that to compete against when they started BDA. Had they done GDA at the same time or shortly after then this mess never would have happened. Players are the ones getting screwed.
              i dont think its about strength of the ECNL. its about the devil you know. Neither league is strong if your measurement is the quality of player graduating.

for me, your ECNL data point is the U17 and U20 WC just gone. Most of these kids are a product of the ECNL. Relative to nations we used to dominate we have lost ground. Clearly those nations had more room to go up, but just look at the technical levels and the style of game played. We have gone nowhere in that regard.

If your measure is financial strength or something else, then maybe

Comment

In light of all of that, if you have a choice, then why bother with the more restrictive option?
                I think many discount the "choice". ECNL is too restrictive and thereby some GDA players are forced to play there as that's the only real option for too many.

Neither is getting all the Region's best players. GDA due to HS issue; ECNL because the two clubs for everyone north of CT isn't enough.

I'll make up a stat, but I bet 60% of the players are playing in a league the club dictates, and could give a crap on which patch is on their sleeve.

Comment

i dont think its about strength of the ECNL. its about the devil you know. Neither league is strong if your measurement is the quality of player graduating.

for me, your ECNL data point is the U17 and U20 WC just gone. Most of these kids are a product of the ECNL. Relative to nations we used to dominate we have lost ground. Clearly those nations had more room to go up, but just look at the technical levels and the style of game played. We have gone nowhere in that regard.

Players are developing within the leagues - ECNL or DA. They are not producing a womens team. They are giving the the USSF the raw material from which to building a team. Recently, that team has not been built.

Comment

Players are developing within the leagues - ECNL or DA. They are not producing a womens team. They are giving the the USSF the raw material from which to building a team. Recently, that team has not been built.
                    Whether it’s clearly stated in the marketing materials or even clear in the minds of current players or parents in either league, the goals of ECNL and GDA are quite different. ECNL is simply an elite club league for college-bound players. GDA on the other hand was developed directly by USSF for NT and pro career, even though in practice many of those players will end up in college and will never go beyond that simply because NT/pros only need the very top players.

It’s still early on the girl’s side, but look at the boy’s DA and you can see where USSF wants to take DA. Most of the youth NT are nearly entirely from DA and these players are starting to appear more and more at the senior NT and pro MLS levels. If USSF can build GDA over the next decade like the boy’s side, then I wouldn’t be surprised to see GDA players making up nearly all NT and NWSL rosters. USSF pays the salaries for NT players in NWSL so they have a lot of control over these spots.

While ECNL will probably have a place long-term for girls who either just want to end their career in college or don’t have the skills to go beyond that, USSF controls the NT and top NWSL spots.

Comment

Whether it’s clearly stated in the marketing materials or even clear in the minds of current players or parents in either league, the goals of ECNL and GDA are quite different. ECNL is simply an elite club league for college-bound players. GDA on the other hand was developed directly by USSF for NT and pro career, even though in practice many of those players will end up in college and will never go beyond that simply because NT/pros only need the very top players.
                      I think that's a misnomer for most of the players in GDA. Meaning, yes, USSF wants to pull players from there, but the reality is 99.999999999% of the players have no real intention of playing for the WNT. It's just no reality, and they and their parents are not naive about that.

For those parents, you then have it broken to a few different camps:

_ A good way to get exposure for college, just like ECNL and to a lesser degree, NPL. Just exposure, not an expection.

_Some, it's just what the highest level that their club offers so they are going with the flow for now.

_A select few, because they think the patch means D1 scholarship

So, for 90%+ of the GDA participants, they are doing it for the exact same reason the ECNL participants are.

Comment

It’s still early on the girl’s side, but look at the boy’s DA and you can see where USSF wants to take DA. Most of the youth NT are nearly entirely from DA and these players are starting to appear more and more at the senior NT and pro MLS levels. If USSF can build GDA over the next decade like the boy’s side, then I wouldn’t be surprised to see GDA players making up nearly all NT and NWSL rosters. USSF pays the salaries for NT players in NWSL so they have a lot of control over these spots.

While ECNL will probably have a place long-term for girls who either just want to end their career in college or don’t have the skills to go beyond that, USSF controls the NT and top NWSL spots.
                        Great. For the 4 kids on the NTs from NE, enjoy. No one else gives a crap and really wishes one or the other of these leagues would disappear to tomorrow. They don't care which one as long as they can play HS if they want.

Comment

Yay. So my kid can work her butt off, land in the NWSL and work a part time job at Starbucks to make rent. No thanks! But thanks for the laugh.

Comment

For me, the question is, not only is our talent there but if USSF has spread itself too thin and has it made the pool of players to choose from too small? I think the players are there and they are simply lazy or incompetent in finding them. USSF needs to do a better job and focus limited resources where they are best served. Our seniors are still the best in the world and our girls juniors teams have struggled for more than just the past 2 or 3 years (and the senior teams have always been fine).

Comment

I agree that this is their desired path for the girls and I would still say that their guidance of the boys has shown very poor results overall .... so, why on earth would you do it all over again the same way for the top team in the world??

Comment

Yay. So my kid can work her butt off, land in the NWSL and work a part time job at Starbucks to make rent. No thanks! But thanks for the laugh.
                                No need to work at Starbucks anymore ... the Van Gundy's are about due for a new au pair and that comes with a bedroom and use of the kitchen and a minivan.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X