Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Probably time for Body Cams for coaches at UPDX and a parent meeting. Parent who is also the "side ref" AKA Assistant Referee's teacher discussing the issue? When did that happen? That itself seems a bit out of line.

WTH is going on with UPDX!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Can coaches wear body cams? Would OYSA consider evidence from one if it were produced? (Players certainly can't and shouldn't; but since coaches aren't playing, there's no safety issue involved).

This probably isn't a "UPDX issue", except that UPDX officials are clearly on here doing damage control. Which might not be inappropriate at this time.

Comment

Some parent and a/r perspective on what happened:

Parent 1: Player number 1 (parent's child) was injured by the other team. She was crying and moving towards the bench. The sideline judge raised his flag. Coach went to check on the player. The player was standing holding her hand. The mid ref yelled at bobby to get back into his box and then he gave him a yellow card. Within less than 5 seconds a red card was produced and given to Coach. This parent spoke to Coach after the game and Coach said that he told the ref that he was trying to protect his players. This parent spoke to the sideline ref as he is the kids teacher. The sideline ref stated that he thought the player was coming out to sub because she was hurt but the mid ref wouldn't let that happen. He also said that Coach was not initially being overly verbal, that really the ref wouldn't let him say anthing. He said that Coach did say that he was, 'trying to protect his players since you are not doing this'.

Parent 2: Player was hurt, crying and holding her hand. She was coming toward the coaches bench holding her hand. The mid ref pulled out a yellow card and told Coach that he was out of the box. This parent stated that the red card came just a few seconds after the yellow card was given.

I talked to 4 parents but they all say they couldn't hear, but that they could see the ref talking a lot and then the yellow/red just followed within seconds.
      #savebobby

Comment

WTH is going on with UPDX!!!!!!!!!!!!
        What do you mean? It's one coach at one game and we don't know what happened other than a second hand account.

Hardly a pattern of a problem culture at a club.

Comment

I think you need help -obsessing about updx and hell bent on destroying a coach that has nothing to do with why you dislike the club.
          It's meant to be genuinely helpful. There is no such thing as a "side ref." That alone indicates lack of knowledge. Lets help those parents out with proper terminology. If a parent is also a teacher of a referee, they shouldn't be talking to them about the incident. That seems like an abuse of position.

Was the ban upheld?

Comment

You don't get 8 game suspension from just telling a ref you are protecting your player. There is more to this story. Good try on making it look innocent though.

Comment

This probably isn't a "UPDX issue", except that UPDX officials are clearly on here doing damage control. Which might not be inappropriate at this time.

If they are that is a problem and here's why.

The only situation you can defend the coach is if the referee(s) lied and made it all up.

Because even if the "tiniest" bit of dissent or irresponsible behavior existed, the coach is wrong. Done, end of story.

Irresponsible behavior is not allowed. Period. There is no law, rule or other that allows the coach to behave in this manner. You don't get to be a little bit hot, but not too hot. You aren't allowed to be 50% irresponsible . There is also no rule that says, "but my player was inured..." Or, "they bumped heads..." Or, "I only entered the field to yell at the referee because I didn't think he cared enough about my players safety..."

Some referees put up with a lot. And by rule, they are putting up with a lot they don't have too. It is by their grace alone they let a lot of things slide.

The parent who talked to the referee because they are the "kids" teacher. That seems inappropriate to me. I hope that doesn't happen again. Referee is a tough job and a teacher has an authority position over them. If that happened I think UPDX should address that. If somebody thinks that's OK, let me know how and why. If there is an investigation and an official/officer from UPDX wants to interview the referee I'd like to think the investigation/appeal process would allow that.

Body cams. Why not? I had a particular referee many many years ago I set up the camera on a tripod to interview me. The guy was known for throwing people out ( I have never been dismissed) and I did it to protect myself. Nobody ever asked me about the camera.

Damage control. The best thing you can do is take things head on. Maybe in the coaching world the behavior was low level; it occurred but was "perhaps" blow out of proportion or maybe it was just a temporary lapse in judgement. Just say a mistake has been made and corrected. No kids were harmed and it won't happen again, etc. Coaches are human and we all make mistakes.

Comment

The only situation you can defend the coach is if the referee(s) lied and made it all up.
                I'm assuming that this would include reporting a non-physical incident as "violent conduct". If the coach comes out on the field and yells at the ref and the ref sends him off for "irresponsible behavior", the usual stated grounds for dismissal of a coach, I've no problem.

"Violent conduct" to me means the coach assaulted the referee, or attempted to. (Taking a swing, even if it misses, would be VC). Likewise explicitly threatening violence ("I'll kick your azz!") merits a VC charge. But in my mind, for VC to occur, a definite and deliberate threatening act needs to be involved; more than "he looked angry" or "he came out in a threatening manner".

Interesting question: Was the ref a young kid? An older ref?

Comment

Because even if the "tiniest" bit of dissent or irresponsible behavior existed, the coach is wrong. Done, end of story.
                  If I am a parent and my kids game is called after 28 minutes because 2 grown men can't agree on how to run subs, I'm pissed.

In your world, it sounds like only the coach is to blame. In mind 2 adults who can't agree on how to get kids in and out of game safely are both idiots.

End of story.

Comment

If I am a parent and my kids game is called after 28 minutes because 2 grown men can't agree on how to run subs, I'm pissed.

End of story.
                    It's actually 1 grown man arguing with the official and breaking some rules. Substitutions can only be done with permission of the referee. That is the laws of the game.

Anyone know if the suspension was upheld? Reduced, etc? What about fines to UPDX?

Comment

It's actually 1 grown man arguing with the official and breaking some rules. Substitutions can only be done with permission of the referee. That is the laws of the game.

Anyone know if the suspension was upheld? Reduced, etc? What about fines to UPDX?
                      Fines??? For what? Nice smear.

Comment

If a match is forfeited and it's a team's fault--including the case of coach gets sent off and there's nobody else on the bench--there is a fine.

In this case, probably a small one, no more than a couple hundred dollars. But since the match was forfeited, and UPDX was "at fault" (it was their coach that was sent off, forcing abandonment of the match), there typically will be a fine.

Go read the TTL rules. It's in there.

Anyone have a description of the ref? There is at least one I'm aware of who has a hair-trigger temper and will eject coaches at the drop of a hat. It's one thing if an MJ Tate or other known hothead gets sent off, but I've seen this guy send off some rather mild-mannered coaches with minimal provocation. Could be the same one.

Comment

A general good rule in life is if you don't know what you're talking about, s_fu.

Yeah, there are fines for abandoned matches and its in the rules for TTL. Go to OYSA and read it for yourself.

Abandoned match for discipline (coach ejected), 1st offense, $500.

The big question is this "referee assault" because that is a $2000 fine.

Comment

"Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

Anyone know if the suspension was upheld? Reduced, etc? What about fines to UPDX?"

"Fines??? For what? Nice smear."

Where's the smear? Maybe the UPDX apologist/staffer should spend less time on social media and more time reading/following the league rules.

Comment

"Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

Anyone know if the suspension was upheld? Reduced, etc? What about fines to UPDX?"

"Fines??? For what? Nice smear."

Where's the smear? Maybe the UPDX apologist/staffer should spend less time on social media and more time reading/following the league rules.
                              Even though the coach in question may not have done what he is accused of... it would be poetic justice nonetheless if BM had to write a $2000 check to the Portland Timbers.

Comment

I was kind of thinking Timbers' League should pay the parents back for cancelling a game after 30 minutes because the referee couldn't communicate with a/r and coach.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X