Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

player vs team

I read a lot of criticism of clubs not "developing" players. My question is, can any club truly "develop" talent when there's so much pressure (mostly from parents) for teams to win? What's more important to a club, truly taking the time to develop up and coming players, or fielding teams that win all the time? It just feels like, in my kids' age group anyway, there are so many club hoppers always looking for that greener grass, that teams full of talented kids fail because the rosters are always shifting, teams have trouble developing chemistry as they get older.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I read a lot of criticism of clubs not "developing" players. My question is, can any club truly "develop" talent when there's so much pressure (mostly from parents) for teams to win? What's more important to a club, truly taking the time to develop up and coming players, or fielding teams that win all the time? It just feels like, in my kids' age group anyway, there are so many club hoppers always looking for that greener grass, that teams full of talented kids fail because the rosters are always shifting, teams have trouble developing chemistry as they get older.
    unfortunately the climate on long island is that teams need to win. clubs should not develop individual players, in my opinion. the player should be doing his best on his own, and then bring that to his team. if they all did that and had good chem, winning is not a question.

Comment

Ultimately clubs are businesses. The market is highly competitive - too many clubs chasing after a limited talent pool. Clubs know parents don't understand what "development" means or what good coaching looks like, so the equate wins with development. Parents also don't have the patience for what can take years to start harvesting the fruit. I'm not saying any of this is the right thing to do, but it just is what it is. Parents need to educate themselves, ask a lot of questions, try and tap into other parents with more experience and knowledge of the scene.

But there's other factors to development - one is a player's inner drive. Some have it, many do not. It starts to show when the funnel starts to narrow and it gets more challenging. Doing a lot of work on your own will help you leapfrog over others. Just going to practices 3 times a week won't. Fit matters too. Some players and coaches just won't click.

Comment

unfortunately the climate on long island is that teams need to win. clubs should not develop individual players, in my opinion. the player should be doing his best on his own, and then bring that to his team. if they all did that and had good chem, winning is not a question.
        I think a big issue is that the clubs often neglect some very good players to focus only on one or two kids (often for non soccer related reasons) and players who know they are talented won't put up with being pushed aside for very long. So they look for a club where they think they will have fair chance. This unicorn of a club does not truly exist but they still chase it. This is why talented teams don't last. You will always have some movement among rosters but if we are talking about why teams cant keep their top 3rd intact, this is usually it.

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Truer words were never stated on TS. It is the rare coach that gives all the kids a chance to develop.

Comment

Player development is more about the player taking the time to get better away from team practice. The coach can only do so much.

Comment

Player development is more about the player taking the time to get better away from team practice. The coach can only do so much.
              What would you suggest? Take them out of school for private soccer lessons?

Comment

Kids can go to school and also work on things in their own time. Don't need a private trainer. Work on fitness, ball skills, speed. Watch games as well.

Comment

Grow a brain?

Comment

Don't be a dolt. Kids can work on things on their own, in the backyard, local park, basement. Doesn't have to be hours and hours. Kids that have the drive want to do that without even being told to do it. Don't go with private training until they are older and have demonstrated that drive and are more mature, like 14 or older.

Comment

Don't be a dolt. Kids can work on things on their own, in the backyard, local park, basement. Doesn't have to be hours and hours. Kids that have the drive want to do that without even being told to do it. Don't go with private training until they are older and have demonstrated that drive and are more mature, like 14 or older.
                      I guarantee the guy who asked the original question is the one who cries about playing time and says his kid tries harder than anyone else.

Comment

I guarantee the guy who asked the original question is the one who cries about playing time and says his kid tries harder than anyone else.
                        Ha I’m the guy, and you couldn’t be more wrong, but nice try. I posted because I kept seeing arguments about how clubs poach and don’t develop, and I was wondering where the emphasis was for clubs in our area. They tout “player development” but it seems impossible with all the competition for checkbooks, and the impatience of parents who want immediate “results”.
                        I also agree that the difference between a good and great player is the inner drive and motivation of the individual player, and all the money in the world can’t buy that.
                        So, just to reiterate, I’m good, my kid is good, and I’m not “crying” about anything.

Comment

player vs team

Ha I’m the guy, and you couldn’t be more wrong, but nice try. I posted because I kept seeing arguments about how clubs poach and don’t develop, and I was wondering where the emphasis was for clubs in our area. They tout “player development” but it seems impossible with all the competition for checkbooks, and the impatience of parents who want immediate “results”.
                          I also agree that the difference between a good and great player is the inner drive and motivation of the individual player, and all the money in the world can’t buy that.
                          So, just to reiterate, I’m good, my kid is good, and I’m not “crying” about anything.
                          how good are you? how good is the kid?

Comment

The coach's on here are changing the premise with their posts. Yes some kids don't practice on their own but a lot do. The issue with playing time is not how good the kid is, especially on a team when most of the kids are pretty good and they all have some weaknesses in their game.

The issue is the crazy parents. Most text, email, corner the coach to get more playing time for their kid. And it works!!

The parents that just drop the kid off at practice, never communicate with the coach unless it is to confirm game or practice time are doing their kids a disservice. Why? Because even though coach's preach effort, skill, leadership, teamwork are the traits that get you more playing time the real thing that gets a kid more playing time is having a crazy psycho parent that berates and threatens the coach into playing their kid.

So what is a normal parent to do?

Comment

Sorry I blamed the coach's for bringing up practicing on their own and think I was wrong. I am sure it is the same psycho parents using that as an excuse for their kid playing and yours riding the bench.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X