Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple Question- GK

I have a simple question-My child has dreams of being a D1 GK at a Non FL school; and as any proud parent- I believe he has the ability to get there. He's currently a Fresh in HS. Is it better for him to share 50% GK responsibilities at DA/ECNL level or be the sole keeper at an NPL level?

I think field players should go up to DA/ENCL, but keepers only getting half playing will suffer. But I'm open to being wrong... Thoughts??

Hello, im a GK dad. Im not a fan of splitting time, specially when theres a big difference between the two. DA and ECNL are the top leagues for boys, so the other goalie should be @ the same level. Once you start getting into lower divisions its tough, as long as the work hes getting playing half you should be okay. Showcases is where you need to be, DA and ECNL provide both.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I have a simple question-My child has dreams of being a D1 GK at a Non FL school; and as any proud parent- I believe he has the ability to get there. He's currently a Fresh in HS. Is it better for him to share 50% GK responsibilities at DA/ECNL level or be the sole keeper at an NPL level?

I think field players should go up to DA/ENCL, but keepers only getting half playing will suffer. But I'm open to being wrong... Thoughts??
      You're wrong.

Comment

get him playing time on a sh*t team. Sh*t team means more shots on him. Get him to ID camps and Showcases even as a guest player on teams you don't know.

Comment

As a goalie dad as well, how is the school team? If they are not that good try and keep him on the school team as this will help him build his skill level and confidence. It's going to be painful, but just look at the end goal. As for DA/ECNL sure the competition is there but so are the better defenses which can prevent your son from getting the skills he needs to grow. My child plays both school and club soccer. And I have seen the growth in both confidence and skill in both areas, which in turn leads to her teams having greater confidence in their abilities. Also, what are you doing to get your child recognized/ Do you have a you tube channel for him, or a HUDL account? Does he go to a club trianer or private trainer? They have connections as well and can help him develop a highlight tape of his training sessions. Have you reached out to the potential school(s) asking for them to evaluate your son or perhaps get him access to their ID camps. Good luck.

Comment

My daughter is a keeper and we had the same dilemma. At the end of the day we felt the exposure from the better leagues was more important than playing time in a league no college coach cares about. NPL does not compare to DA/ECNL in any way shape or form. If you can be in one of those leagues you need to do it.

Also my daughter and the girl she split with got both full rides. One to an ACC team and 1 to an SEC team.

At the end of the day I was glad we stayed the course.

I'd like to know of any NPL keeper boy or girl that got on to a major conference D1 team in the last 5 years.

Comment

My daughter is a keeper and we had the same dilemma. At the end of the day we felt the exposure from the better leagues was more important than playing time in a league no college coach cares about. NPL does not compare to DA/ECNL in any way shape or form. If you can be in one of those leagues you need to do it.

Also my daughter and the girl she split with got both full rides. One to an ACC team and 1 to an SEC team.

At the end of the day I was glad we stayed the course.

I'd like to know of any NPL keeper boy or girl that got on to a major conference D1 team in the last 5 years.
              KM from TBU at UF. Senior this year

Comment

SL at LSU and BB at FSU. One was on the US National Team and the other a 2nd team All-American as a sophomore winning the National HS Championships. No one wanted to split time but no one had a choice. Coaches stuck to it. I'd say it worked out for them.

Comment

So four years ago when KM went to college, GDA did not exist, was ECNL an option or was NPL was the top league in the area?

Comment

IF he wants to play at a good soccer program at a D1 school the most important thing is exposure! You will only get the real exposure you need at the DA/ECNL showcases. However you also have the option and advantage of going to goalie only ID camps. Only go to the ID camps of the schools you're interested in. The multi-school ID camps can be a waste of time and money.

Finally do lots of filming and send out lots of emails. Good luck!

Comment

So four years ago when KM went to college, GDA did not exist, was ECNL an option or was NPL was the top league in the area?
                      Excellent point. I believe TBU has only had ECNL for 4 years, so neither of the current top leagues were options. ECNL may have been initiated her senior year of HS, but she was probably committed before that (I’m sure some TBU whack job will use this as an excuse to bring up their ‘phenomenal’ history of getting players recruited. We get it, you’re awesome).

Comment

Excellent point. I believe TBU has only had ECNL for 4 years, so neither of the current top leagues were options. ECNL may have been initiated her senior year of HS, but she was probably committed before that (I’m sure some TBU whack job will use this as an excuse to bring up their ‘phenomenal’ history of getting players recruited. We get it, you’re awesome).
                        Good point. The current TBU ECNL 02 goalie is committed to UF. Thanks TBU!

Comment

Committed to an average program. Ya. That TBU pipeline has brought UF to the ranks of average. They were a perennial NCAA tournament team, but with this influx of TBU talent, not so much anymore. Coincidentally, the TBU program seems to be stuck in mediocrity at the ECNL level. 🤔🤔🤔

Comment

Oh, and btw the TBU ECNL 01 goalie is committed to Northeastern University. Thanks again TBU!

We can keep playing this game all day long with the haters. They'll keep crowing about terrible soccer programs and/or terrible universities. At the end, the facts are out there for all to judge. No hype, no hate, just the facts.

Comment

It took exactly 7 posts for the TBU mafia to pat themselves on their back. It was a thread that made no mention of geography, specific club or league affiliation, or specific college information. Yet, you narcissists continue to interject your club into every possible thread spouting about commitments. We get it, some of your players play at the next level. Congrats to them on their hard work and success. Believe it or not, there is soccer being played beyond your complexes. Thanks for submarining another thread.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X